Incorporating PHPBB in an existing website?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
heliwerks

Incorporating PHPBB in an existing website?

Post by heliwerks »

Does anybody know how I could incorporate PHPBB into an existing website?

I've tried hacking the index.php file to include my website header, menu, footer, etc.... but cannot get it to work.

Is there a thread already in existance to show me how to go about doing this... if it's even possible?
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Re: Incorporating PHPBB in an existing website?

Post by Sam »

Yes, there is a thread: Full Site Integration. It is fairly long, but read through about the first 6 pages and pull out what you need.
Last edited by Sam on Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

heliwerks wrote:Does anybody know how I could incorporate PHPBB into an existing website?

I've tried hacking the index.php file to include my website header, menu, footer, etc.... but cannot get it to work.

Is there a thread already in existance to show me how to go about doing this... if it's even possible?
You can see the problems that I was having and the solution in the Problems Getting Common Site Logo and Menu Bar Positioned topic.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
heliwerks

Post by heliwerks »

Thanks to both of you for the info. I'll do some digging.
Elliander

Post by Elliander »

Personally I use a line of HTML called "iframe" on my website. You can read it about it here: http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_iframe.asp but what it basically does is this: It displays one page within a section of another page. This means, for example, you can have the forum buried in a folder in your domain but have links bring you to a page that will display a portion of the page with all of your other website stuff displayed around it. When people click links in the forum you remain within the iframe so everything still looks as you design the page around it. The only real drawback is that if the user right-clicks a link and selects "open in new tab" or "open in new window" than a page will open outside of the iframe in the actual location of the forum.

This suggestion is a quite a bit different than building the forum within an existing page, but it is the simplest solution and it can be done in a matter of seconds. You could, for example, start with that, and then when you are done doing the more complicated integration work replace the code.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

using iframes is usually not a good idea.

when moving around in the board, it tends to break out of the iframe.

cookies can be quite screwy as well.

to blend them together all you have to do is put the html for you main site header into the overall_header.html file for whatever phpbb style you are using. ( best to find one that is close to the same colors etc. ) and if you have a footer, then put that html into the overall_footer.html file

you will have to tweak it to get the css to cooperate and image links etc.

but it is not that difficult to do.

also, If you are just starting out, you can use phpbb to make your whole website by creating custom pages using the phpbb styles, etc.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
wmtipton

Post by wmtipton »

heliwerks wrote:Does anybody know how I could incorporate PHPBB into an existing website?

Iframes are the easiest way.
Heres a site I webmaster
http://www.eschurch.us/
Click the Forum link and see if thats what youre looking for or can use.
If so, its simply an iframe that the forum is showing in.
Actually all the pages on that site simply load into the one iframe when the links are clicked.
:)
mysql database backup software - mysql Workbench
heliwerks

Post by heliwerks »

No, no, no..... no iFrames.... iFrames BAD.....
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

heliwerks wrote:No, no, no..... no iFrames.... iFrames BAD.....
Smart standpoint ;)

iFrames are cheap and they don't work right. I have found success by finding a phpBB3 style and building my website around those templates. Basically what you would be doing is just creating custom pages around phpBB, and using the templates/style information already there. I am not a style person, so this was my approach.
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

wmtipton wrote:Iframes are the easiest way.
Heres a site I webmaster
Ever wondered what happens to your site's navigation when people find your forum through Google?

Google for site:forum.eschurch.com and find all pages from your board indexed by Google. Click on one. That's another visit that misses the context of your entire site.

That's just one of the headaches that (i)frames will cause.

Iframes are easy to implement, but they are not worth the headache you'll face later down the road.
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

wmtipton wrote:...
Heres a site I webmaster
Not nice.
Here is how your front page looks on my screen
iframe1.jpg
iframe1.jpg (85.14 KiB) Viewed 3094 times
and what happens if I click on the first forum
iframe2.jpg
iframe2.jpg (91.18 KiB) Viewed 3094 times
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

Not to mention really bad security. One of the reasons why the iframe was deprecated in HTML5.
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above
Eelke
Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

Can you substantiate that? I don't see how an iframe would result in bad security. It's still "just" showing web pages. There are numerous reasons not to use iframes, but I don't think security is one of them. Unless you allow users to provide the URLs to load in the iframe.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Eelke wrote:Can you substantiate that? I don't see how an iframe would result in bad security. It's still "just" showing web pages. There are numerous reasons not to use iframes, but I don't think security is one of them. Unless you allow users to provide the URLs to load in the iframe.
I think it's not that iFrames themselves are insecure, but that they're used in injection attacks. I personally think that all browsers should warn you if there's an off-site iFrame (especially if it's hidden) and offer not to load it.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
wmtipton

Post by wmtipton »

Thats because, :), that particular 'forum', if you didnt notice, isnt a 'forum'...but is a LINK to the homepage :)
That was added as per the pastors request...I do what Im told to do :) And he knows very well that it does that :)
ric323 wrote:
wmtipton wrote:...
Heres a site I webmaster
Not nice.
Here is how your front page looks on my screen
iframe1.jpg
and what happens if I click on the first forum
iframe2.jpg
heliwerks wrote:No, no, no..... no iFrames.... iFrames BAD.....
PUhlease :lol:
iframes are great.
Eelke wrote:
wmtipton wrote:Iframes are the easiest way.
Heres a site I webmaster
Ever wondered what happens to your site's navigation when people find your forum through Google?

Google for site:forum.eschurch.com and find all pages from your board indexed by Google. Click on one. That's another visit that misses the context of your entire site.

That's just one of the headaches that (i)frames will cause.
Then maybe you can explain this :)
Google Search for the generic words 'Assembly Ministries' and tell me what site pops up first ;)

Assembly-Ministries.org is mine and its ALL in iframes....same as the eschurch one is.
Iframes dont stop the google search from finding the material..its still there in pages just like if the iframes werent there.
It took a LOT of work to get my site that high in the google rankings, but there it is...in all its iframe glory :)
Iframes are easy to implement, but they are not worth the headache you'll face later down the road.
Really ?
Ive been using them for a couple years now and my two main sites are WAY up there in the google listings :)

My guess is that some here simply dont know how to get the google search to work FOR them where iframes are concerned.
onehundredandtwo wrote:Not to mention really bad security. One of the reasons why the iframe was deprecated in HTML5.
I'll ask for support this statement if you dont mind.
Ive been using them for two years or more and the only time Ive been hacked was because of my use of forum software. :)
Last edited by camm15h on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged three posts together - please observe the 6 hour bump rule.
mysql database backup software - mysql Workbench

Return to “phpBB Discussion”