We need your thoughts on this project please

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
BHV Medebach

We need your thoughts on this project please

Postby BHV Medebach » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:26 am

Hello all, and thank you for reading this.
I hope this thread is in the correct location, and that (some of) you are willing to cooperate on this.

heres the project:

In my home town we have started a nonprofit community witch is roughly translated "community aid"
we are a group of vollunteers who want to:
1 increase community cohesion
2 suply aid and services wich are not currently available.
We intend to work closely toghether with existing groups wich offer aid and services.

this is how it should work

Help is given and received by members of the community only. (due to insurance matters)
the membership costs are only 12€ a year (wich is irrelevant here)
a member needs help (lets say hes old and a lot of snow is in front of his house)
he calls the central HELPline with his problem, the "dispatcher" looks in the database to find a volunteer close to the caller who can perform that action, he calls the volunteer, asks if he is willing to perform the task and if yes then generates a "order form" (again for insurance) the volunteer goes to work, performs the task, writes on the order form how long it took him, gets a autograph from the caller and goes home.
he sends the "order form" to administration and "kudo's" are substracted from the callers and added to the volunteers account.

the challenges

1 we would like to generate a public page where all the offers from other local communities, groups and institutions are searchable.

1a we need then a way for these groups (with verified accounts) to add their offers

2 we would like to have a public calender where activities of us and other local communities, groups and institutions are visible.

2a as 1a

3 we need in our private area a way to link skills of members to their account and have that searchable.

4 it would be nice to automaticly generate and store the "order tickets"

5 we need a kudo system

6 ?we need ideas that we havent thought of yet?

Please help us on our way
Your insights help and ideas are greatly appreciated

Cheers, Michel
Last edited by BHV Medebach on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thecoalman
Former Team Member

Re: We need your thoughts on this project please

Postby thecoalman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm assuming you want to do this with phpBB as a base. That's quite a list and you might want to start by searching the modifications forum for similar features or post a request for modification if nothing is available.

viewforum.php?f=81

All those things can be accomplished with phpBB but you'll need either an existing mod, modify it yourself or have someone modify it for you.

I'll note we don't allow solicitation for services here so please don't offer money to get it done.

Eelke
QA Team
Name: Eelke Blok

Postby Eelke » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:29 pm

I think it would be a good idea to find someone skilled in websites and in particular PHP - who is willing to volunteer their services - to help you accomplish these goals. phpBB will not do these things out of the box, and you may find that other products are better suited for the customizations you need (I'm thinking Drupal here). However, neither customizing phpBB nor setting this up in Drupal is a beginner type task. Which also means that it may get pricey if you have to pay someone to do it.

BHV Medebach

Postby BHV Medebach » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:01 pm

thecoalman wrote:I'm assuming you want to do this with phpBB as a base. That's quite a list and you might want to start by searching the modifications forum for similar features or post a request for modification if nothing is available.

viewforum.php?f=81

Thanks, indeed i too am assuming to do this with phpBB as a base, since i have been playing with phpBBover the years (as a noob) and think it can do a lot of the things needed. It is a big list indeed and i will search the forum for usefull MODs thanks.

The main idea of this post was to get ideas from the community on how best to accomplish this goal.

All those things can be accomplished with phpBB but you'll need either an existing mod, modify it yourself or have someone modify it for you.

I'll note we don't allow solicitation for services here so please don't offer money to get it done.

No money will be offered, but we do have members who would be willing to bake a pie or knit a sweater or sweep your garden in fall, thats the spirit of the community.

Thanks for your time

BHV Medebach

Postby BHV Medebach » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:05 pm

Eelke wrote:I think it would be a good idea to find someone skilled in websites and in particular PHP - who is willing to volunteer their services - to help you accomplish these goals. phpBB will not do these things out of the box, and you may find that other products are better suited for the customizations you need (I'm thinking Drupal here). However, neither customizing phpBB nor setting this up in Drupal is a beginner type task. Which also means that it may get pricey if you have to pay someone to do it.

thanks Eelke for your thoughts, would drupal also support the "kudo"system needed?

it is evident that we need expert support in achieving this task.
This post was just the start of the search on how to get it done.
We hope to be able to harness the "power of the internetz" for this task.

thank you for your time

BHV Medebach

Postby BHV Medebach » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:22 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:sounds like some type of bartering setup would be a good starting place.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... d5ec9ae78f

robert

Thanks Robert, that might be a very good idea, would u know any inexpensive open source versions of such software. Our budget is very tight as we are a start up non profit community

thanks for your thought

Lumpy Burgertushie

Postby Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:41 pm

BHV Medebach wrote:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:sounds like some type of bartering setup would be a good starting place.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... d5ec9ae78f

robert

Thanks Robert, that might be a very good idea, would u know any inexpensive open source versions of such software. Our budget is very tight as we are a start up non profit community

thanks for your thought

did you notice the link in my post to a google search that I already did for you?

that is the best way to find that kind of thing.

luck,
robertt

BHV Medebach

Postby BHV Medebach » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:42 am

did you notice the link in my post to a google search that I already did for you?

that is the best way to find that kind of thing.

luck,
robertt[/quote]

Thank you Robert, i don know that google will find me any bartering software.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=thank+you
but i hoped u might have had some experiences with some of these packages ;)
thats why i asked.

cheers Michel

Return to “phpBB Discussion”