Copying a board

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
felinoel

Re: Copying a board

Postby felinoel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:12 pm

stevemaury wrote:We have no way of answering any of these questions about the various items that go in config.php. Only you or your host can know that. As you have seen, guessing does not work.
What? I am not asking for what specifically goes in there? I am asking what needs changed? He said to change the domain name in the Cookies tab, but there is no domain name choice there, there is domain and then there is name, I am asking which one he was talking about?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Postby stevemaury » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:19 pm

None of that matters until you can connect to the database, which, afaict, you can't. Once you are able to connect by having the correct information in the config.php file, we can talk about cookie domains and such.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

felinoel

Postby felinoel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:24 pm

stevemaury wrote:None of that matters until you can connect to the database, which, afaict, you can't. Once you are able to connect by having the correct information in the config.php file, we can talk about cookie domains and such.
But I can? I started posting in this thread again once I got the needed info with a post that said I got the info?

felinoel

Postby felinoel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:26 pm

stevemaury wrote:None of that matters until you can connect to the database, which, afaict, you can't. Once you are able to connect by having the correct information in the config.php file, we can talk about cookie domains and such.
This dowell guy said I was making it too complicated and implied that I wouldn't need to change the config file so I changed it back while I was doing what he said to do, should I change it back to connect to the old server then?

felinoel

Postby felinoel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:29 pm

felinoel wrote:
This dowell guy said I was making it too complicated and implied that I wouldn't need to change the config file so I changed it back while I was doing what he said to do, should I change it back to connect to the old server then?
Ok so I put the config file back to connecting to the old server, and it is doing the loads for five minutes then gives up and displays a blank page again thing?

felinoel

Postby felinoel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:42 pm

Wait... are you saying it loads for five minutes then gives up and displays a blank page because I have the wrong info in the config file?

felinoel

Postby felinoel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:58 pm

felinoel wrote:
Wait... are you saying it loads for five minutes then gives up and displays a blank page because I have the wrong info in the config file?
I ask because I could have sworn I got the right dbhost? With the stuff dowell said it now has the number of members the old board had as well as the same header name?

dowelld

Postby dowelld » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:50 pm

felinoel wrote:Ummm domain or name? Which is it?
The Cookie domain seems correct? So I guess I should change the Cookie name instead?

It's the domain name with a . on the front of it.

So if your domain name is mydomainname.com, your cookie domain would be set to .mydomainname.com

OK ?

dowelld

Postby dowelld » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:04 pm

Sorry, I've now read through this a bit more (since you tried from my first post) and I'm certain you've gone off track completely.

You should have no need to alter the config.php file unless you're trying to do way more complicated stuff than just copy a board... back to the beginning...

1) Get a backup of the database from the board you want to copy.
2) On your new host (or in your new directory) upload the latest version of phpBB (as downloadable from this site).
3) On your new server (or your existing server) create a database for your new board (complete with a database user and password).
4) Follow the standard install routine for the new phpBB install you're making, using the new database you created in step 3).

Once you have sucessfully installed your new blank board...
5) Restore the database backup you got in step 1) into your new board database.
6) Correct the domain name (if necessary) in the config table of the now restored database.
7) Correct the cookie domain settings (your domain.name with a . on the front) in the config table of the now restored database.

8) Purge the cache.

Done.

For good measure you can truncate the session table and the session_keys table.

EDIT: Note if you're copying your board into another directory on the same server (two or more boards on one server) you don't need to change the cookie domain settings, you must however make sure that each board is using a unique naming scheme for its cookies (so change the cookie name instead). And make sure the script path is set correctly on each board.
Last edited by dowelld on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Postby ric323 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:14 pm

- deleted.
I didn't notice this had already gone on to a second page.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

felinoel

Postby felinoel » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:05 am

dowelld wrote:
felinoel wrote:Ummm domain or name? Which is it?
The Cookie domain seems correct? So I guess I should change the Cookie name instead?

It's the domain name with a . on the front of it.

So if your domain name is mydomainname.com, your cookie domain would be set to .mydomainname.com

OK ?
Hmmm I see, will try that
dowelld wrote:Sorry, I've now read through this a bit more (since you tried from my first post) and I'm certain you've gone off track completely.

You should have no need to alter the config.php file unless you're trying to do way more complicated stuff than just copy a board... back to the beginning...

1) Get a backup of the database from the board you want to copy.
2) On your new host (or in your new directory) upload the latest version of phpBB (as downloadable from this site).
3) On your new server (or your existing server) create a database for your new board (complete with a database user and password).
4) Follow the standard install routine for the new phpBB install you're making, using the new database you created in step 3).

Once you have sucessfully installed your new blank board...
5) Restore the database backup you got in step 1) into your new board database.
6) Correct the domain name (if necessary) in the config table of the now restored database.
7) Correct the cookie domain settings (your domain.name with a . on the front) in the config table of the now restored database.

8) Purge the cache.

Done.

EDIT: Note if you're copying your board into another directory on the same server (two or more boards on one server) you don't need to change the cookie domain settings, you must however make sure that each board is using a unique naming scheme for its cookies (so change the cookie name instead). And make sure the script path is set correctly on each board.
Ok I will restore the config file again then
ric323 wrote:
felinoel wrote:
felinoel wrote:
Brf wrote:Those should all be the info for the database you want to use.

So they should all be either what the old server's said or the new server's? I tried both of those already though?
If this is truly the case

Yes, it is truly the case.

then maybe I am misinterpreting the error message given?

Maybe. You have not actually revealed WHAT error message you are seeing.

The only field in your new config.php which needs to match the old config.php is $table_prefix

This article gives some more background about what is in there: Rebuilding Your config.php File
lol thanks but we are a bit past that

felinoel

Postby felinoel » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:17 am

dowelld wrote:8) Purge the cache.

Done.

How do I do those?

I am not, it is going to a new server

dowelld

Postby dowelld » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:50 am

Purging the cache is available in the admin control panel index page, it's a button. OR you can manually delete all of the files in the cache directory of your new board EXCEPT index.htm and .htaccess.

Truncating the sessions and sessions_keys tables can be done via phpMyAdmin.
Go into the database, select the relevant table from the list on the left and then pick the EMPTY tab.

felinoel

Postby felinoel » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:08 am

dowelld wrote:Purging the cache is available in the admin control panel index page, it's a button. OR you can manually delete all of the files in the cache directory of your new board EXCEPT index.htm and .htaccess.

Truncating the sessions and sessions_keys tables can be done via phpMyAdmin.
Go into the database, select the relevant table from the list on the left and then pick the EMPTY tab.
I figured it was there just couldn't find it, I see now that it was in the general tab

Ok, so I have done all that, except for the truncting, and I go to my new board and I see the original board's title and amount of posts and members, but no categories, forums, threads, or posts?

EDIT:
Oh, do I need to change the permissions or something? Does copying a board rest the permissions of categories?

felinoel

Postby felinoel » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:10 am

felinoel wrote:Oh, do I need to change the permissions or something? Does copying a board rest the permissions of categories?
Seems this is the case after all, awesome it moved over, woo!

Odd that I was told I would need to change my config file? That was apparently, definitely not the case... >.>
All that initial trouble for nothing

Return to “3.0.x Support Forum”