[ABD] SNW (social networking) v.0.1

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
niwotata

[ABD] SNW (social networking) v.0.1

Post by niwotata »

2004/08/02 update:
Hi, I will not release any new version of this mod, because: 1, I have edited phpbb in a way that it's very difficult for me to seperate this mod out from my other codes, 2, there is a fundamental flaw in the mod that related to foreign language(single language board has no such problem), this mod will never make it to the mod database because of this flaw (it completely violated mod coding standard).
I will continue support for those who'v already useded the mod.

2004/07/15:
1. added a new radio button type for extra user information
2, use existing usercp_viewprofile.php and usercp_register.php and their tpl files instead of using new files.
3. some bug fix.

Download updated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original message

I am not sure if the term social networking is overstatement for this mod. I call it that anyway.:D
I looked at so called social networking sites like friendster and tribe.net, they are basically forums with groups, friend list and friend search.
phpbb is a great forum software, it already has groups. Now I am trying to add friend list and friend search. For other stuff like weblog, we can easily find an opensource one and integrate it.

I have a demo board at www.niwotata.net/bbs/
the board is in Chinese, but there is an language selection drop-down menu you can use to change language to English. Email activition is enabled on that board. Please go there and play with it, the more users use it, the more bugs we can find.

Code: Select all

############################################################## 
##
## Author Notes: 
## social networking mod
## main feature: ( I will rephrase these later)
##  - friend list, both parties has to agree to become friends
##  - show friends on one's profile or on a seperate friends page
##  - show connection between one user and another, maximum 3 degree of seperation, 
##    i.e. will show friend's friend's friend, but will not show friend's friend's friend's friend.
##  - can add, delete friend
##  - can invite outside friend to join, upon registration, he automatically become the friend of the user who invited him
##  - friend can make comment, user has to approve it before others can see it
##  - user enter extra information when registering or editing their own profiles
##  - display extra user information on profile
##  - extra information has link to a list of people who share the same infomation, like same favorite song, etc.
##	- admin can add, delete, edit types of extra user information,
##  - admin can provide options, including empty option, for single or multiple selection type of user information
##  - admin can change display order, decide if a information field is linkable on profile.
##	- user can search other users based on extra user information
##  - 2 search mode, quick search and detailed search, in detailed search you can provide multiple search criteria,
##    for example, you can search gender=female, status=single etc.
##
##
############################################################## 
##
## MOD History:
##
##   2004/07/11 - Version 0.1
##	- first beta,
Last edited by niwotata on Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
LegendKnight

Post by LegendKnight »

Interesting.
Good work! I'll give it a try.
Thanks
-LK
fordfairlane

Post by fordfairlane »

Hey niwotata

Cool stuff, dude! I especially like the ability to a multiple criteria search in user profiles.

I'll give a try and let you know how things go!

Best regards

fordfairlane
burnthome

Post by burnthome »

Awesome ur ideas....
i 'll try it later....its a good idea if its looks like friendster.....

regards,
burnthome
kaisuny

Post by kaisuny »

Very brilliant idea and good start to develope it further. But here is my initial observation:
1. Choose avatar from the build-in album in profile will cause sql error.

Warning: Missing argument 35 for display_avatar_gallery() in /public_html/portal/includes/usercp_avatar.php on line 244

Warning: Missing argument 36 for display_avatar_gallery() in /public_html/portal/includes/usercp_avatar.php on line 244

Warning: Missing argument 37 for display_avatar_gallery() in /public_html/portal/includes/usercp_avatar.php on line 244

Warning: Missing argument 38 for display_avatar_gallery() in /public_html/portal/includes/usercp_avatar.php on line 244

So unless I uncomment the line to make it normal :But in this way, I can not use the snw viewprofile (where the add friends and comment feature provided)

// BEGIN mod snw ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//-- delete
	include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/usercp_viewprofile.'.$phpEx);
//-- add
2. Also, when I use the snw_viewprofile.php , my normal user_country_flag field and absent status field in the profile no longer exist. Will you consider coding into the usercp_viewprofile, so our new feature into it will continue to be used.

3. If the notify mail about someone asking me to be friends can use PM (Private message) instead , it will be more consisitant and convenient.

4. Some message and form data are hardcoded. They had better to be put in the language file. :)
Last edited by kaisuny on Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:05 am, edited 7 times in total.
burnthome

Post by burnthome »

hi,
do u have any test/demo/printscreen for this mod...i have go to ur site but its needed to register....

thanks,
burnthome
hcteks

Post by hcteks »

Hmmm... It would have been nice to have this mod add on to those files rather than use new files completely. I have alot of mods I would like to keep. Also, this is almost two mods in one. Im sure some peoiple (me :)) would only want the extar profile fields and interest matching .

Cool mod nonetheless. Good work.
burnthome

Post by burnthome »

hi NIWOTATA,

i have something that not so understand about the code as below :

#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------------ 
# 
profile.php 
# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------------ 
# 
      include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/usercp_viewprofile.'.$phpEx); 
# 
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
// BEGIN mod snw ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
//-- delete 
//      include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/usercp_viewprofile.'.$phpEx); 
//-- add 
      include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/snw_viewprofile.'.$phpEx); 
// END mod snw -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------------ 
# 
      include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/usercp_register.'.$phpEx); 
# 
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
//-- delete 
//      include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/usercp_register.'.$phpEx); 
//-- add 
      include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/snw_register.'.$phpEx); 
// END mod snw -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

and as i see the coding it will be change to use the new files likes from existing ones, usercp_viewprofile to snw_viewprofile and usercp_register to includes/snw_register.

and its will totally change the viewprofile and register....the problem that i face is i have adding code to viewprofile and usercp_register files....for example i have adding the gender to it, and etc...
and could i know how to solve it without losing my prevoius editing...

thanks,
burnthome
khisanthax

Post by khisanthax »

can you make it so that admin can choose the degrees of separation, ie more or less than 3?
niwotata

Post by niwotata »

burnthome wrote: and as i see the coding it will be change to use the new files likes from existing ones, usercp_viewprofile to snw_viewprofile and usercp_register to includes/snw_register.

and its will totally change the viewprofile and register....the problem that i face is i have adding code to viewprofile and usercp_register files....for example i have adding the gender to it, and etc...
and could i know how to solve it without losing my prevoius editing...

Hi, Kaisuny, burnthome, hcteks,
I will rewrite the install.txt, I will make it use existing usercp_viewprofile.php and usercp_register and their tpl instead of new files, I realized lots of people alreayd mod'ed these two file. It will be there probably tomorrow.
Thnaks for trying the mod
niwotata

Post by niwotata »

khisanthax wrote: can you make it so that admin can choose the degrees of separation, ie more or less than 3?

Sorry, no, That is hard coded, it's very hard for me to change.
kaisuny

Post by kaisuny »

niwotata wrote: Hi, Kaisuny, burnthome, hcteks,
I will rewrite the install.txt, I will make it use existing usercp_viewprofile.php and usercp_register and their tpl instead of new files, I realized lots of people alreayd mod'ed these two file. It will be there probably tomorrow.
Thnaks for trying the mod

Thanks.
Your mod is quite useful. :D
LegendKnight

Post by LegendKnight »

kaisuny wrote: Your mod is quite useful. :D

Indeed, this Mod is very decent :D
Thanks niwotata!
Keep up the great work

-LK
LegendKnight

Post by LegendKnight »

Hi again,

I'm having trouble with comments not showing up on every page they should.

(I know we have to approve them first, I did that but still no cigar)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-LK
kaisuny

Post by kaisuny »

LegendKnight wrote: Hi again,

I'm having trouble with comments not showing up on every page they should.

(I know we have to approve them first, I did that but still no cigar)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-LK

It can work . I write a comment to a user, whose account created by me. I logged in in the name of the user, and consented my previous comment. After that, My comment appears on his profile page.
Last edited by kaisuny on Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”