phpBB.com Website Feedback

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
AmigoJack

Re: phpBB.com Website Feedback

Post by AmigoJack »

Yes, you're right. But nobody said otherwise - that's why it's "session check", not checking credentials. And yes: it's already fragile enough to rely on the IP address. The browser cache doesn't store that, in case you mean features like auto-filling forms - that's a different thing. Losing editor content because you lost your session can be reduced to a minimum by simply typing the text elsewhere and then just pasting it all into this posting editor and submitting it. Or by using a web browser which has a better caching and does not immediately forget textbox content when going back 1-2 pages.

Come on: there are free proxies and free VPN services - you could try that. phpBB is unable to help you alone, and you should face the same problem with other websites using sessions, too.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

AmigoJack wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:51 amLosing editor content because you lost your session can be reduced to a minimum by simply typing the text elsewhere and then just pasting it all into this posting editor and submitting it.
You said "whole point is to tell accounts apart" which is not what this is.
And, I've of course ended up doing that with notepad. It was still very annoying.

And normally my browser does remember input from pages ago. With phpBB though, the data quickly expires and is lost. This has been a problem with users writing long posts and failing to realize their session expired. Hence why my last post was quickly copied from notepad. No browser would have remembered it.
AmigoJack wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:51 amCome on: there are free proxies and free VPN services - you could try that. phpBB is unable to help you alone, and you should face the same problem with other websites using sessions, too.
Yeah, Paul kind of stated that earlier in the topic. I now have a VPN but it's got strict limitations, not that I am very trusting of free proxies or VPNs.

Surprisingly, no, I don't have issues with other site logins with the exception of phpBB powered sites with it enabled.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:28 pmYou said "whole point is to tell accounts apart" which is not what this is.
If multiple sessions from the same IP address come in then they must be distinguished - especially when they're logged in. You don't want anyone to be logged in as someone else, hence "accounts". I was not talking about logins, only sessions.
[Dimetrodon] wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:28 pmNo browser would have remembered it.
Opera 12 was able to and can still be used today if you're only into boards/forums. Sadly yes: virtually no browser nowadays can handle that comfort level anymore.
[Dimetrodon] wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:28 pmSurprisingly, no, I don't have issues with other site logins with the exception of phpBB powered sites with it enabled.
Really logins? Or sessions? You know no other website where you log in, use it (with your quickly changing IP addresses) and the session expires within minutes? It really only happens with the phpBB software? Not even other forum softwares? Or are you using those just as guest?
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:56 pm so I now rely on what is a mobile provider for my home internet. A sim card in a Wi-Fi hot-spot that shares IPs with other users and cycles through them, often quite rapidly.
Have you tried asking the provider why they have configured such a short DCHP lease time and why they are so frequently cycled? That certainly seems like the root cause of your problem.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

AmigoJack wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:09 pmOr are you using those just as guest?
No, I am able to log into sites that require a lot of security, such as my bank and my healthcare provider. That's one of the reasons why this is so irritating. Only phpBB with a very specific setting gives me this problem.

If this was a non-phpBB specific problem, I would not be posting here.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

As said before, we not be changing this. We are using the default value, and this is a value that works for nearly all cases.
For further discussion this topic is not the right place.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Yeah, I read that the first time. I was just responding to someone else.
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Since the update of your site:
viewtopic.php?t=2619641
I'm sorry, I'm unexpectedly getting logged out again and again when I visit you and surf, reply, search etc. etc. on the site.

I cannot find or fathom the reason for this. A few minutes ago I was automatically logged out several times.

:( regards
Best regards
phpBB3 Designs - My own works: Stylearea Ongray-Designs, Adventinducement-Calendar for phpBB
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Talk19Zehn wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:40 pmA few minutes ago I was automatically logged out several times.
Do you use a mobile provider for your internet?
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

No, I surf at home with all devices. Mostly via laptop or desktop. We are with one of the largest German providers. The error only occurs sporadically on phpBB-com, I can't figure it out.

:cry: regards
Best regards
phpBB3 Designs - My own works: Stylearea Ongray-Designs, Adventinducement-Calendar for phpBB
dada78641

Post by dada78641 »

I noticed just now that the forum style preview page seems to be returning internal 500 errors. For example, this link should be a topic detail page using the 1996 style, but it returns a blank page. Other pages like the topic index page seem to work fine.
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

P_I wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:40 pm
Paul wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:39 pm I haven't had time for them due to work. They should be there soonish.
Soonish has passed. Thanks Paul for the seasonal update! 🎄☃️
I noticed on my tablet that the annual seasonal update has taken place. 👍👍🎄

I had to perform a hard refresh on my desktop for the change to appear.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

While it is still listed on the site showcase, Ars Technica no longer runs phpBB, but rather, XenForo.

https://www.phpbb.com/showcase/
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

P_I wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:50 pm I noticed on my tablet that the annual seasonal update has taken place. 👍👍🎄
It’s beginning to look a lot like the holidays are here again. 🎄❄️ Thanks to the elves behind the scenes.

Added: I had to perform a hard browser refresh on my desktop for the change to appear.
FanFanLaTuFlippe
Name: Patrice

Post by FanFanLaTuFlippe »

Hello,

Yesterday I couldn't send a style revision, so I thought maybe I'd wait 24 hours to send a style revision.
When I confirmed the sending of the style revision, an error popup message simply stated "error", without any further clarification.
However, I've just tried again and it's working again.
My Contributions | Styles Design phpBB | Demo Styles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The earth does everything without rushing, yet, everything is done
From the enlightened awareness of the future that we draw, the peace of our present is built.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”