hello. This is sort of a wierd request for info, and i'll tell you what i want to do straight up:
1. A member of a forum has been granted administration powers because of outstanding forum maintenance talents. (ie. semi-controllable spam monster)
2. That member is part of a gaming squad who isn't in the make-believe "command structure" in the context of an internet multiplayer game.
3. There is an UBERprivate forum that is supposed to be offlimits to all but "command structure" players in said squad.
4. I cannot find any way VIA PHPBB2 CODING to prevent an administrator level member of the forum from entering said forum.
5. It's assumed, as a matter of course, that member won't pry where he's "not supposed to go"
6. It would be nice though to find out you folks have a solution that will remove the temptation to pry, and the comfort to know a private forum is sacrosanct.
BTW, i am that spam-monster. *g* (who found out with the upgrade to his squad's phpBB he's been granted superpowers. muahha)
Make him a moderator instead. Why does he need admin rights if his task is to remove spam posts?
An administrator has complete and unlimited access rights.
anyways, i have a few other questions as a n00b to this phpBB2 thingie.
a.) How do i set default "ADMIN--->USER ADMIN--->MANAGEMENT--->PREFERENCES" ?? (the silly forum wants to send auto-emails to people on replies)
This is impossible at the moment. However there are other solutions, make a search and see what shows up.
b.) Is 100*100 / 10kbyte limit on avatars going to adversely affect bandwidth as compared to the default of 80*80 / 6400?? (i'm hoping the increase is negligible; though that's not taking outsourced urls into account is it?)
Depends on the amount of traffic. The extra bandwidth should be easy to calculate.
c.) The damned forum backup upon upgrade had all it's timestamps CORRUPTED!! argh!! Is there anyway to fix the silly "1969" datestamps?
Were all timestamps corrupted or just the board startdate timestamp corrupted?
Make a search for this as well, it has been discussed extensively in the past.
d.) Is is possible to enter the Admin section and edit the style colour codes only and expect the colour to change?
Yes, as long as the template designer hasn't removed the style color code from overall_header.tpl. The default template (subSilver) allows you edit the colors.
e.) What is everyones' opinions on polls?
They're great! Just make sure you run phpBB 2.0.1 since there's a nasty poll bug in phpBB 2.0.0.