Conversion from Snitz 3.4.07 to PHPBB 3.0.10 Successful

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Get Involved
adrian-smith31

Conversion from Snitz 3.4.07 to PHPBB 3.0.10 Successful

Post by adrian-smith31 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:59 pm

I had a hard time getting to grips with UNIX and MYSQL. I have a ASP based Snitz forum running on Windows Server 2003 with an access database. After spending 8 hours! messing about I managed to get it working so I thought I'd share what I did with others here as I found some stuff here useful but had to figure out a lot for my self. The problem with my host is it uses cpanel like most hosts and there was problems importing a database into MYSQL.

I wrote some rather hasty instructions as I wrote it from memory after spending all day getting it to work. It involves converting the Snitz access database to MYSQL then importing to PHBPP2 then upgrading to PHPBB3. Hope people find it useful.

Procedure for converting from snitz to PHBB3

1) convert snitz access database to a MYSQL dump file using bullzip access to mysql

2) Edit the .sql file as databases created with cpanel have the username before the database followed by an underscore e.g adriansm_snitzold. Below example will help:-
1044 Access Denied Error Resolution
When you import a database using phpMyAdmin, normally you do so by importing a text file with a .sql extension. Here is a section of code that may be in a .sql database backup. In this example, the database we are trying to import is named employees.
-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
-- version 2.11.9.5
-- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
--
-- Host: localhost
-- Generation Time: Apr 02, 2010 at 08:01 AM
-- Server version: 5.0.81
-- PHP Version: 5.2.6

SET SQL_MODE="NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO";

CREATE DATABASE employees;
-- --------------------------------------------------------
--
-- Table structure for table `employee_list`
--

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `employee_list` (
`first_name` text NOT NULL,
`last_name` text NOT NULL
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;
When using phpMyAdmin to attempt to import such a file, you will receive an error message similar to:

Error
SQL query:

MySQL said: Documentation
#1044 - Access denied for user 'training'@'localhost' to database 'employees'
In this scenario, the cPanel username is "training." Because of cPanel's database naming conventions, all database names must begin with the cPanel username followed by an _. Using this format you can only create a database named training_employees.
The reason this import failed is because of the following line in the .sql file (show above)

Again, you cannot create a database named employees, however I can create a database named training_employees.
If I change the line that says: CREATE DATABASE so that it creates: training_employees instead of employees it will again fail with the following message:

Error
SQL query:

CREATE DATABASE training_employees;

MySQL said: Documentation
#1044 - Access denied for user 'training'@'localhost' to database 'training_employees'
When using cPanel, databases must be created within the cPanel itself.

Here are the steps to correct thi sissue:

1. Create the training_employees database within cPanel
2. Comment out the CREATE DATABASE command in my .sql file

To do this, simply change:
to
-- CREATE DATABASE employees;

You are simply adding dash dash space to the front of the line to comment it out so that it will not be executed.

3) Create a temporary database e.g oldsnitz in cpanel and assign an administrator to it then go to mysqladmin and import the newly edited .sql file into the blank database you just created. I just edited out the create database in the .sql file - we already did this in cpanel - you can't create databases in phpmysqladmin.

4) Create another blank database in cpanel for the PHBB and install PHBB2 latest release (something like 2.6.23) and use the database just created; don't select manage databases for me. Make a note of the database table prefixes - these are important. I found that setting them to PHPBB_ rather than BB_ helped to make life easier later as the scripts are set up to use PHBB prefix. Do check the .php files in the snitz to PHPBB converter to make sure though. Make sure you don't select your snitz database here!
5) check to see if it works OK - should just have a welcome forum set up. PHBB install will set up the database tables automatically.
6) copy config.php to computer as we will be putting it back later.
7) follow instructions in the readme that comes with the snitz to PHBBB converter making all changes to the database using phpmysqladmin exactly as described.
8) when done, re-upload the config.php file we downloaded earlier. Check the database table prefixes are correct in config.php e.g PHPBB_ or BB_. Edit if required.
9) change the anonymous user back to -1 (this is omitted from converter instructions - just do the reverse of what it tells you to do in the instructions. Failure to do so will cause an SQL error when clicking on logout and you will also get an error 'sorry that username has been taken' when signing up.
10) PHBB2 should now be working OK with imported snitz data. Note that you will have to request a password reset as passwords are encrypted and not imported. Even for the admin account.
11) Find and delete all users called N/A - these are deleted spammer accounts. Re organise the forum categories if required.
12) make a backup of the forum db using the PHPBB admin utility. Save it to your computer.
13) create another blank permanent database for PHBB3 and install PHPBB3 to a different folder. Again make sure it works.
14) download the same release of PHPBB and copy the install folder and it's contents to the forum folder on the server.
15) navigate to the installer with any good web browser and select the convert tab
16) fill in correct database info - this is the PHPBB2 database you will be entering here. Run the conversion - it may error out saying several usernames are too short. There is nothing we can do about this. Conversion will still run.
17) Delete the install folder otherwise the forum won't work.
18) confirm PHPBB3 works with imported data.
19) delete the PHBPP2 install and it's database and also the converted snitz database.
20) That's it!

bilaluet

Re: Conversion from Snitz 3.4.07 to PHPBB 3.0.10 Successful

Post by bilaluet » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:49 am

From where do I download the converter?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Conversion from Snitz 3.4.07 to PHPBB 3.0.10 Successful

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:49 pm

I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”