Colour palette display problem

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide

Colour palette display problem

Postby lasarchsoc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:43 am

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.11
What is your board's URL? www.latrobearchsoc.org/agora
Who do you host your board with? Bluehost
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
What MODs do you have installed? WP-UNITED: WordPress-phpBB Integration Package
- this is used to automatically duplicate WordPress user accounts in the phpBB forum. (i.e., new society member pays for membership via my WordPress website, where they get a WordPress user account. This Mod then duplicates the user account in the forum so the user doesn't have to register a second account to use the forums.
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver (enabled), subsilver2
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
When did your problem begin? Upon installation.
Please describe your problem. When posting on forum threads, the font colour button works, but when it is meant to show all the different colours available, it instead just shows a white area. Ctrl+A reveals that the colour palette should be there, but the colours themselves just aren't displaying. I note, also, that they all link to the same file, i.e. http://www.latrobearchsoc.org/agora/images/spacer.gif

It is possible to mouse-over/hover over the palette to see the HTML code for the colour, and then manually type it in.

I installed phpBB using the cPanel system provided by Bluehost. While it is possible that something went wrong during this installation, I think that is unlikely as I have installed phpBB forums before in the same manner and this issue hasn't arisen.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. :)
Generated by SRT Generator
lasarchsoc

Re: Colour palette display problem

Postby Mick » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:10 am

lasarchsoc wrote:How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
You should install properly using the files from here, we can't fully support such installations, they use different files to ours.
lasarchsoc wrote:I installed phpBB using the cPanel system provided by Bluehost. While it is possible that something went wrong during this installation, I think that is unlikely
No, it's MORE than likely, host cPanel installed boards are notorious for causing such problems, have a search on here and you will see.

Has this ever worked properly or has it suddenly happened? Try uploading a fresh copy of /styles/prosilver/template/editor.js
Remember, it's not the magic wand it's the magician! All unsolicited PM's will be trashed.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Postby lasarchsoc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:34 am

Mick wrote:Has this ever worked properly or has it suddenly happened? Try uploading a fresh copy of /styles/prosilver/template/editor.js

With this particular installation, the issue has been present from the beginning.

Sorry, but where can I get the original editor.js file from?

Thanks for your advice,
David
lasarchsoc

Postby lasarchsoc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:39 am

lasarchsoc wrote:where can I get the original editor.js file from?

Never mind; found it in the installer .zip file. I have uploaded the replacement editor.js (having renamed the original server copy), but the problem persists.
lasarchsoc

Postby lasarchsoc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:41 am

lasarchsoc wrote:I note, also, that they all link to the same file, i.e. http://www.latrobearchsoc.org/agora/images/spacer.gif

While I was logged in via FTP (to upload the replacement editor.js file), I downloaded that spacer.gif file; it is an 807-byte file with nothing in it. I don't know if that is relevant, but figured I would mention it.

Given that the forum is a beta test as part of a new website, do you think it would be better if I uninstalled the current phpBB installation and reinstalled it from the .zip file obtained directly from the phpBB website?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.
lasarchsoc

Postby Oyabun1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:31 am

lasarchsoc wrote:Given that the forum is a beta test as part of a new website, do you think it would be better if I uninstalled the current phpBB installation and reinstalled it from the .zip file obtained directly from the phpBB website?
Yes, except you don't need to uninstall it.

Before proceeding backup all files and the database.

• Download the Latest Version.
  • Unzip to your desktop and open the phpBB3 folder.
  • Remove (delete) the config.php file from the package.
  • Via FTP upload the remaining files and folders to the root of your board installation on the server overwriting the existing files.
  • In your browser go to http://www.latrobearchsoc.org/agora/install/database_update.php
  • Let that run to completion. (That should report that no changes are necessary, but just to be sure)
  • Via FTP delete the /install folder from the root of your board installation.
  • Done.
Only use a good FTP client, such as FileZilla, to transfer the files. (File transfer utilities provided in host control panels can cause problems.)

For information on BBCodes you can see the BBCode Guide that is linked to in the posting window. For your board, http://www.latrobearchsoc.org/agora/faq.php?mode=bbcode

You should also look at the sticky topic at the top of this forum, Preventing Spam in phpBB3. The CAPTCHA you are using is no longer effective against spambots.
Oyabun1
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Name: Bill

Postby lasarchsoc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:01 am

Oyabun1 wrote:
lasarchsoc wrote:Given that the forum is a beta test as part of a new website, do you think it would be better if I uninstalled the current phpBB installation and reinstalled it from the .zip file obtained directly from the phpBB website?
Yes, except you don't need to uninstall it.

Before proceeding backup all files and the database.

• Download the Latest Version.
  • Unzip to your desktop and open the phpBB3 folder.
  • Remove (delete) the config.php file from the package.
  • Via FTP upload the remaining files and folders to the root of your board installation on the server overwriting the existing files.
  • In your browser go to http://www.latrobearchsoc.org/agora/install/database_update.php
  • Let that run to completion. (That should report that no changes are necessary, but just to be sure)
  • Via FTP delete the /install folder from the root of your board installation.
  • Done.
Only use a good FTP client, such as FileZilla, to transfer the files. (File transfer utilities provided in host control panels can cause problems.)

For information on BBCodes you can see the BBCode Guide that is linked to in the posting window. For your board, http://www.latrobearchsoc.org/agora/faq.php?mode=bbcode

You should also look at the sticky topic at the top of this forum, Preventing Spam in phpBB3. The CAPTCHA you are using is no longer effective against spambots.

G'day, Bill,

Thanks for that advice. I went ahead and did as you wrote, but now the board itself has really big text and no buttons. The colour palette still doesn't display properly.
lasarchsoc

Postby lasarchsoc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:23 am

Um, I did nothing other than overwrite the files in the pre-existing phpBB folder (as you advised).
Now my entire website is down except for the forum. I just get blank pages. :? :cry:
lasarchsoc

Postby lasarchsoc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:42 am

lasarchsoc wrote:Um, I did nothing other than overwrite the files in the pre-existing phpBB folder (as you advised).
Now my entire website is down except for the forum. I just get blank pages. :? :cry:

Not quite sure what happened there. I uninstalled the phpBB forum via the Bluehost cPanel, then Filezilla FTP to delete all the left-over files, and now the rest of the website is working fine. :D I'm about to try a fresh install of phpBB. Will advise how that goes.
lasarchsoc

Postby lasarchsoc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:46 am

lasarchsoc wrote:
lasarchsoc wrote:Um, I did nothing other than overwrite the files in the pre-existing phpBB folder (as you advised).

Not quite sure what happened there. I uninstalled the phpBB forum via the Bluehost cPanel, then Filezilla FTP to delete all the left-over files, and now the rest of the website is working fine. :D I'm about to try a fresh install of phpBB. Will advise how that goes.

Ok, fresh install of phpBB (via Bluehost's cPanel) has a correctly-displayed colour palette. Yay! :)

I'll now try to install the WP-United MOD that cross-references WordPress and phpBB user accounts and see how that goes.
lasarchsoc

Postby Oyabun1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:53 am

We have a 6 hour bump rule here, please follow it. If you have more to add and nobody has yet replied to your previous post then just edit it. Bumping a topic moves it to the bottom of the queue meaning it will take longer to get a reply.
Oyabun1
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Name: Bill

Postby lasarchsoc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:23 am

Ok, colour palette was displaying properly until I installed the WP-United mod. So I'll seek help on their forum.

Thanks for your assistance in fault-finding this error. :)

Oyabun1 wrote:We have a 6 hour bump rule here, please follow it. If you have more to add and nobody has yet replied to your previous post then just edit it. Bumping a topic moves it to the bottom of the queue meaning it will take longer to get a reply.

I will adhere to this in future.
lasarchsoc

Return to 3.0.x Support Forum