+1, Like, or something similar

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
Master_Cylinder

Re: +1, Like, or something similar

Post by Master_Cylinder »

johnnyburn wrote:If the like system existed, you could tell that Arty's first comment had a lot of support. I think that there is value in "gamifying" posts in this way. It works for Facebook because of human psychology: people like to feel validated, and will strive toward posts that get likes. But also, from the like-er side, it is way easier and cleaner to like someone's post than to clutter the board with a post that says, "I agree with Arty."
I just don't think that "like" should be the ONLY option available just because some FB kids need validation from virtual strangers. I'd prefer if both options are available so that each admin can choose if he wants all/some/none on their own boards instead of a a bunch of FB fanatics that feel uncomfortable if they don't get their validation deciding for everyone. The amount of support doesn't make a bad idea better, imho... ;)
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

The following with the use of icons used for "thumbs up and down", used for here by phpbb ideas vote system, seem to me the best possible options, because they give at the admin the most hight possible elasticity in configuration of the feature ()just summarized:

Eventually in ACP there will be some fields to choose and upload the image for thumbs up / down: if the admin uploads an image for like this option only will be displayed under every post. If the admin uploads the second image for dislike option, both options will be displayed under every post.

I would like to argue about just one more thing about the label that will be present in case admin doesn't set an image icon for them.
At the same manner of icons, making option labels editable by the admin, could be the way to make appear or not the text option to vote under posts on which users can click. If a label isn't present the option won't be available.
In such way admins can decide which option to show or not just filling the related text field that will be the label of the option.

The following attachment could be the improvement that synthesize the idea for this new feature, of course they are intended to be just an example to give an idea of what I mean. Of course everything has to be optimized and adapted to style etc. In case of no icon is uploaded a special character (the triangle) could be (or not) automatically used, as well as in phpbb.com idea's vote feature.
Attachments
This could be the default situation when the admin doesn't configure anything into ACP
This could be the default situation when the admin doesn't configure anything into ACP
Like dislike System Default.png (5.85 KiB) Viewed 410 times
This could be the situation when the admin upload customized icons
This could be the situation when the admin upload customized icons
Like dislike System Icons.png (6.17 KiB) Viewed 410 times
This could be the situation when the admin configure customized text labels for both options
This could be the situation when the admin configure customized text labels for both options
Like dislike System Text labels.png (6.05 KiB) Viewed 410 times
This could be one of the situations when the admin configure just one text label only for Like option.<br />As you can see above, if a label is not filled, the related option doesn't appear under posts.
This could be one of the situations when the admin configure just one text label only for Like option.
As you can see above, if a label is not filled, the related option doesn't appear under posts.
Like dislike System One option alone.png (5.86 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

I've updated the post above with more accurate pictures.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

Looks much too sophisticated to me...

Imo you just need one option:
Allow Users to vote posts

Iconst and stuff like that belongs to the Style...
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
Master_Cylinder

D@ve wrote:Looks much too sophisticated to me...

Imo you just need one option:
Allow Users to vote posts

Iconst and stuff like that belongs to the Style...
I think you mean overcomplicated but he's trying to please everyone by allowing each admin to pick what his/her options are called. ;)

I can see 4 options, Allow none, allow positive ratings, allow negative ratings or allow both. Really, all 4 could be handled with 2 check boxes.

There are default thumb type rate icons in prosilver already, just use those. The rest can be handled by styles or as replacement sets.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Master_Cylinder wrote:he's trying to please everyone by allowing each admin
Yes. Hope it is not a bad thing.
Master_Cylinder wrote:I can see 4 options, Allow none, allow positive ratings, allow negative ratings or allow both. Really, all 4 could be handled with 2 check boxes.
I cannot find a solution to use just 2 check boxes, but maybe 3 alternative options like the following:
• Don't allow post rating
• Allow likes
• Allow likes and dislikes

How is your idea to use just 2 cb?
Master_Cylinder wrote:There are default thumb type rate icons in prosilver already, just use those. The rest can be handled by styles or as replacement sets.
For this i'm not sure.
My solution where is possible to choose if use text, direct upload custom icons etc, appears more direct and easy instead accessing by ftp to server and work with styles or replacement sets etc, pretty complicated stuff imho.
Not all admins are geeks...
Master_Cylinder

peopleopinion wrote: I cannot find a solution to use just 2 check boxes, but maybe 3 alternative options like the following:
• Don't allow post rating
• Allow likes
• Allow likes and dislikes

How is your idea to use just 2 cb?
Allow Positive
Allow Negative
If both are checked, it's both; if none are checked, it's none. Simple.
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

by allowing each admin to pick what his/her options are called.
Yes, but you can handlet this via the language-System...
I can see 4 options, Allow none, allow positive ratings, allow negative ratings or allow both
Yep, that's much better.
My solution where is possible to choose if use text, direct upload custom icons
But it undermines the style system. If you want to switch styles you also want to switch the thumbs-up icon.
Master_Cylinder

Good point about styles but I'm not sure that he understands standards or can handle editing files directly; that may be why he thinks that everything, even the obscure, should be in the core and configurable from the ACP.
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

It makes no sense having static icons "uploadable". There is no need to change this stuff on a regular base. Icons are usually created when the forum goes online and stay how they are most of the time. Why should you change your like-icon every two weeks?
Master_Cylinder

Because he's new? He also claims he reorders his forums and categories regularly and his free host has no way to upload/edit any files. Maybe he's a coppa user?
potku

Post by potku »

I'm going with the crowd not liking the not liking ( ;) ). On our forum, we disabled the friend/foe module straight from the get-go. This serves the same idea. But then again, we like to keep our community kind of happy (an angry bunch of martial artists is no good to anyone). We also meet annually (well, not all 6000 of us, but... :D). I guess we're hippies. :)
Potku.net

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

- Groucho Marx
spello

Post by spello »

There should be like and dislike options, because sometimes we want to disagree with someone in easy and visible way.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Here's why I voted NO...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... tion-like/

Facebook is a parasite. Making phpBB more like facebook is a step in the wrong direction.
Entropy is maintenance free.
D@ve

Post by D@ve »

Floyd wrote:Here's why I voted NO...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... tion-like/
Sorry if you want to discuss. please psot your arguments here... I'm not in the mood to watch a one-hour-video before I answer your question.
Facebook is a parasite. Making phpBB more like facebook is a step in the wrong direction.
a)
Facebook is the market leader concerning in social community. Even IF you think that FB is evil: You can't ignore it. If you want to build a new search engine you can't ignore Google, if you want to build an auction platform you can't ignore ebay. And if you want some kind of Community Software (even if it is bulletin board) you can't ignore Facebook. Facebook sets the standard here.

b)
As said before: Even IF Facebook is evil, that doesn't mean that by definition everything is bad what they do. If you think that way, you shouldn't allow Image Upload and Private Messages since Facebook also have these options

c)
The Like button is not an invention of facebook. They just made it popuar. Even for phpBB 3.0 there was a discussion in the development board (afair) about implementing a charma system. LONG(!!!) before Facebook.

regards, Dave

Return to “phpBB Ideas”