Search box for PM inbox outbox and sent messages

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
peopleopinion

Search box for PM inbox outbox and sent messages

Post by peopleopinion »

What about to add a this new feature: a Search box for PM in Inbox, Outbox and Sent Messages?
The feature might be useful if can search
In the subject of PMs
In body of PMs
Search by date
Search by user (senders or recipients)

[Other parameters]?
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
peopleopinion

Re: Search box for PM inbox outbox and sent messages

Post by peopleopinion »

Source:
keith10456 wrote:At the very least we need a way to search PM's.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

+1
Would be better if the PNs where grouped by user with ajax support (just scroll down to get older messages) like Facebook...
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

D@ve wrote:+1
Would be better if the PNs where grouped by user with ajax support (just scroll down to get older messages) like Facebook...
It is "already possible" (in some way) by adding new directories to separate manually in groups but it doesn't solve the main problem I think.

Scenario:
you have 2500 old PMs in your PM box and wanna read "that one" received (or sended) in a date you forgot to a certain user that contains some content that you remember about in a non precise way.
It is possible to find such PM in few seconds without opening a bunch of PM to see their content just only if you have a search box that allows you to search inside the PM body. If you don't have a search box that allows that, you have to open every PM to find what you are looking for.

It is about the same when you are looking for some topic and you use the relative search box.
I'm I right?

Another thing: you are right about Facebook that allows to group PM by user. But If you have archived 2-3 years of PM and you need to search out "that PM" of "that topic" but you don't remember exactly neither the date nor the user you were talking with but you remember that you talked about a certain thing? What do you do? Facebook doesn't allow (yet) to do an "inside search" of this type. I think this is a bad thing of facebook that I hope will be solved in future updating, because time by time pms are growing up and time is going on and some forgetfulness may happens. Having an elastic tool like that may solve situations like that.

Any way you suggestion is a further improvement so +1 for that too and thank you for it ;)
Last edited by peopleopinion on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

keith10456 wrote:+1
Hi keith, sorry but you didn't really vote: to vote you have to View idea at: Search box for PM inbox outbox and sent messages and there click the green counter... ;) thanks
Last edited by peopleopinion on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

I did this for PMs and for the MCP already - it is basically copying /includes/search/fulltext_*.php. There has been a discussion in the development section, see Re: [RFC|Accepted] Search Backend Refactoring, but I fear the idea of having a generic search class is too much focused on abstracting backends.
  • The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
D@ve
Name: Dave Remmel

Post by D@ve »

but I fear the idea of having a generic search class is too much focused on abstracting backends.
Yep, this would be REALLY, great since mod developers could use this class for their stuff also (CMS's, extended profiles and so on)

regards, Dave
Last edited by D@ve on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
2jesus.de - (german community for bible & faith)
phpBB.de - the German support community for pbpBB
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

peopleopinion wrote:
Hi keith, sorry but you didn't really vote: to vote you have to View idea at: Search box for PM inbox outbox and sent messages and there click the green counter... ;) thanks
You're right... That was by accident. My vote has been cast ;)

As stated in another topic, this feature is would make a great addition to phpBB... Definitely needed for a board in 2013.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

keith10456 wrote:
peopleopinion wrote:
You're right... That was by accident. My vote has been cast ;)

As stated in another topic, this feature is would make a great addition to phpBB... Definitely needed for a board in 2013.
Agreed it is like a must have imho

Thank you for voting ;)

Return to “phpBB Ideas”