Change Administrator

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
sunnystripes

Change Administrator

Post by sunnystripes » Wed May 21, 2014 1:40 pm

I purchased a website that has a PHPBB Forum. The original administrator passed away. How do I change/delete the current administrator and add my name as the administrator.

Thank you!!

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: Change Administrator

Post by tbackoff » Wed May 21, 2014 2:16 pm

I'm assuming you meant to post in the 3.0.x Support Forum and not the 3.1.x Support Forum?
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

sunnystripes

Post by sunnystripes » Wed May 21, 2014 3:05 pm

Sorry this should have been posted in the 3.0 forum.

My appologies.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Wed May 21, 2014 4:05 pm

Do you have access to the database and/or access to the files via FTP?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

sunnystripes

Post by sunnystripes » Thu May 29, 2014 6:54 am

Yes I do.

I tried using phpmyadmin and tried changing the admin password but that did not work.

Tried this already and did not work. I even tried changing my own user name and also did not work.
Not sure if there is another file I need to change.

If you have lost the admin password for phpBB and need to reset it, please, try the following:

Access phpMyAdmin to reset the password

1. Log into the Cpanel
2. Click phpMyAdmin
3. Click the corresponding table that stores username and password information: phpbb_users
4. Click Browse located towards the top of your screen so that a list of users display
5. Find the account of user that needs to be changed (eg. Admin)
6. Click Edit
7. From the user_password row, click the Function pull down menu and choose MD5
8. In the box to the right of MD5, replace the existing encrypted password with your new password in plain text
9. Click the GO button located towards the bottom of the page

Thanks in advance. Pulling my hair out (what's left of it) trying to change the admin password.

I tried the method above and I receive a message that I exceeded the total number of login attempts.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu May 29, 2014 6:59 am

Install the Support Toolkit and use the Change password option. Are you a founder as well as an admin?

Edit after more information - you can always follow this as well:

In phpmyadmin, run the following, which will create an admin user named Admin1 with a password of admin. From that point you should be able to get into the ACP. Change your table prefix if it is not phpbb_.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (user_type, group_id, username, username_clean, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, user_lang, user_style, user_rank, user_colour, user_posts, user_permissions, user_ip, user_birthday, user_lastpage, user_last_confirm_key, user_post_sortby_type, user_post_sortby_dir, user_topic_sortby_type, user_topic_sortby_dir, user_avatar, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_from, user_icq, user_aim, user_yim, user_msnm, user_jabber, user_website, user_occ, user_interests, user_actkey, user_newpasswd) VALUES (3, 5, 'Admin1', 'admin1', 0, '21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3', 'admin@yourdomain.com', 'en', 1, 1, 'AA0000', 1, '', '', '', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '');
Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin

As soon as you have done this, use the temporary admin account to change the details on the original admin account, then delete the temporary account.
This is because:
  1. anyone could use that account to log in to your board if you didn’t change the password.
  2. this temporary user has not been fully set up (e.g. it is not a member of the “Registered users” group, so it won’t have normal access to your forums).
To remove the account you will first need to remove “founder” status from it: ACP > USERS AND GROUPS tab > Manage Users > Admin1 > Overview > Founder = No
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

sunnystripes

Post by sunnystripes » Thu May 29, 2014 7:49 am

I followed the installation instructions and received this message:

Access to the Administration Control Panel is not allowed as you do not have administrative permissions.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu May 29, 2014 7:50 am

I added some extra information after your PM.

sunnystripes

Post by sunnystripes » Thu May 29, 2014 7:51 am

I place this in the SQL box and received this error message:

#1054 - Unknown column 'user_type' in 'field list'

Can I remove 'user_type' and try again? Will I need to delete additional values pertaining to 'user_type'?

Thanks for your help!!
Last edited by sunnystripes on Thu May 29, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu May 29, 2014 7:56 am

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”