[ABD] PM Search

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
P_I

Re: [RC] PM Search

Post by P_I »

P_I wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:31 pm
Satanasov wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:08 am
This is never going to be submitted for validation - too much work to be compatible with EPV ...
I'd hope you'd reconsider. I'd consider the ability to search PMs a much needed feature to offer my membership.

I'm involved in running a few forums and generally our policy is unmodified phpBB and only approved and released extensions. If it never gets validated and officially released then unfortunately you've stopped me from considering using it.

The forums I'm involved in have been around since the phpBB 2.0.x days and MODs and we've learned the hard way the maintenance effort required when you are changing the core and applying/updating MODs. IIRC one of my co-admins actually produced a couple of MODs back in the day. The phpBB 3.1.x and above philosophy to keep the core unchanged and using extensions has been a godsend in our opinion and has significantly reduced our maintenance workload when applying software updates.

Ultimately the choice is yours, I've given you my reasons and rationale. Again, I appreciate your efforts to make this functionality available and hope that you'll reconsider and get it submitted, validated and released.
Once again asking whether there are any plans to formally submit this extension so that it can be validated and approved by the phpBB team?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

BF79

Post by BF79 »

public_html/ext/pmsearch-master
the ext doesn't appear in Extensions Manager !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

BF79 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:32 pm
You're making the same mistake as with the other extension (a day ago approximately)
Looking at https://github.com/satanasov/pmsearch ..composer.json and ext.php the path should be
/your forum/ext/anavaro/pmsearch/
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

BF79

Post by BF79 »

warmweer wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:58 pm
BF79 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:32 pm
You're making the same mistake as with the other extension (a day ago approximately)
Looking at https://github.com/satanasov/pmsearch ..composer.json and ext.php the path should be
/your forum/ext/anavaro/pmsearch/
I didn't know that I need to check composer.json and ext.php !!

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

BF79 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:11 pm
I didn't know that I need to check composer.json and ext.php !!
Usually the info is in the README.md but this is an RC so it is a work in progress, which means you shouldn't install it without at least looking for the info in the extension itself, and the namespace absolutely has to be in there (always).
I suggest you read up on extensions (e.g. https://www.phpbb.com/extensions/installing/)
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

P_I

Post by P_I »

warmweer wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:56 pm
but this is an RC so it is a work in progress
Probably in vain but my I'll repeat my periodic request/plea as this is a much needed feature to offer my membership.
P_I wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:57 pm
Once again asking whether there are any plans to formally submit this extension so that it can be validated and approved by the phpBB team?
Why is this important? Per this category's text
Extensions in Development
A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: [ABD] PM Search

Post by Paul »

This topic has been marked as [ABD] - Abandoned as the extension author has not been active recently. If the extension author wishes to continue development, please PM anyone on the Extension Customisations Team to request this topic be unlocked.

Notice!
We do not recommend that a user of the phpBB software install this extension, or any other extension that is marked as "abandoned" or "in development", on a live forum. Doing so may cause your forum to not perform in the manner it should.

Thank you,
The phpBB Extension Customisations Team
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”