Require a tutorial for 3.0.2 ACP

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
harishkumar09

Require a tutorial for 3.0.2 ACP

Post by harishkumar09 »

I was once a successful user of phpBB 2.X forum and it was a heavily modded forum and ran successfully. I have recently shifted to phpBB 3.0.2 and I find that the ACP is extremely complicated for me to understand. I am not able to give posting permission for those who register.

Can anybody direct me to a text or video tutorial for the ACP of phpBB 3.X, specifically phpBB 3.0.2 ?
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Require a tutorial for 3.0.2 ACP

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

why would you want to use 3.0.2 ? the current version of the 3.0 branch is 3.0.12 so you need to update to that version before you do anything.

also, phpbb 3.1 is now the current version.

however, to answer your question, by default, registered users can see/read and post in forums.

if they can not, then it is most likely because you have the newly registered user group turned on in the admin panel.

turn that off by putting a 0 (zero ) in the box for it.

when you create a forum, you have to give that forum a set of permissions. if you do not, then nobody, including you, can post, read, see them etc.

phpBB3 Permissions

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

3.0.2 is years old.
Do you mean 3.0.12?

Also 3.1 is out now which has a lot more features.

Administration Control Panel (ACP)
PERMISSIONS tab
Group forum permissions
Registered users
Choose the forums you want it to apply to
Standard Access
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 »

Guys, I really thank you for your replies. Lumpy Burgertushie, can you point to an excellent textual or video tutorial to help me understand the ACP for 3.1 or 3.0.12? I find the whole think too complicated to understand. Actually, I dont need all these extra features. My 2.X was heavily modded and it served the purpose.

However, I will heed your advice and upgrade to 3.1 if you can give me a good tutorial that explains everything in the ACP.

Yes KevC, I meant 30.0.12.

Thanks again.
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.
5hocK

Post by 5hocK »

The permissions are posted above, it's probably best to take things one step at a time though.
This seems to be your main problem at the moment:
harishkumar09 wrote: I am not able to give posting permission for those who register.
The groups to check are the Newly registered users group and the Registered users group.
This image shows the Registered users group permissions for a forum:
perms.png
perms.png (47.6 KiB) Viewed 581 times
harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 »

Thanks, but if I go to the same tab and option, I see something else, not what is in the image you were kind enough to post.

I personally prefer to stick to the old phpBB 2.X forum as I am very familiar even with that ACP. In fact I am even familiar with code and could write a few mods myself. That would be easier than this complicated 3.0.12 or the new improved 3.1 ACP.

Also, there are thousands of 2.X forums and they are functioning well. I am aware there are a few vulnerabilites which are fixed in the 3.X, but what if another heartbleed happens?

But nevertheless, I will also try and learn and this 3.X stuff.

See, I am teacher who is interested in helping his students. I want a simple forum that works.
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.
harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 »

Ok, I think I got it...
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.
harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 »

By the way, can you tell me what is a category and how is it related to the forum?
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.
5hocK

Post by 5hocK »

A category would be this:
cat.png
cat.png (20.74 KiB) Viewed 562 times
...and can be set to Read only access :)
Inside that category are other categories (In this particular example): viewforum.php?f=446
and inside those cats, are forums: viewforum.php?f=466
harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 »

OK. So in the given example and if we look at this - viewforum.php?f=446

Forums
3.1.x Extensions Forums
3.1.x Styles Forums

are all categories and

3.1.x Support Forum
[3.1.x] Extension Database Releases
[3.1.x] Extensions in Development

are all Forums.

Categories contain Sub-Categories and Forums. You can start Topics/Threads in Forums but not in Categories. If a category is set as Read Only, I cannot post in any of the Forums contained in it.

Forums can contain Sub-Categories and Sub-Forums.

Am I correct?
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.
5hocK

Post by 5hocK »

Yes except
harishkumar09 wrote:If a category is set as Read Only, I cannot post in any of the Forums contained in it.
It's ok to set cats. as read only as you can't post in a category, you will still be able to post in a forum contained in that cat. if the forum perms allow posting.
harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:why would you want to use 3.0.2 ? the current version of the 3.0 branch is 3.0.12 so you need to update to that version before you do anything.

also, phpbb 3.1 is now the current version.

however, to answer your question, by default, registered users can see/read and post in forums.

if they can not, then it is most likely because you have the newly registered user group turned on in the admin panel.

turn that off by putting a 0 (zero ) in the box for it.

when you create a forum, you have to give that forum a set of permissions. if you do not, then nobody, including you, can post, read, see them etc.

phpBB3 Permissions

robert

Yes,you were right Lumpy. That particular student of mine was in the Newly Registered Group. After I removed her from that and transferred her to Registered Users Group, she could post. Now how do I find out all the posting rights associated with every group? And also where exactly do I find the box to put zero to turn off newly registered group? Thanks!
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.
harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 »

5hocK wrote:Yes except
harishkumar09 wrote:If a category is set as Read Only, I cannot post in any of the Forums contained in it.
It's ok to set cats. as read only as you can't post in a category, you will still be able to post in a forum contained in that cat. if the forum perms allow posting.
So what is the point in giving us a choice to set the category to read only? When is it useful to do that?
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.
harishkumar09

Post by harishkumar09 »

So if I get this right -

Permissions can be given to Users and Groups
Permissions can be set for Forums and Categories

Now if there is a clash, which takes precedence? User/Group permission or Forum Permission?
Love & Regards,
Harish Kumar.
5hocK

Post by 5hocK »

harishkumar09 wrote:
5hocK wrote:Yes except
So what is the point in giving us a choice to set the category to read only? When is it useful to do that?
You might want to set the cat to No access for registered users for example, so the cat is only for admins.
harishkumar09 wrote:Permissions can be given to Users and Groups
Permissions can be set for Forums and Categories

Now if there is a clash, which takes precedence? User/Group permission or Forum Permission?
The forum permissions are for the forums, a users permissions could be, say for avatars, signatures, attachments perms etc
harishkumar09 wrote: And also where exactly do I find the box to put zero to turn off newly registered group? Thanks!
General (on the left) User registration settings, New member post limit:
harishkumar09 wrote: Now how do I find out all the posting rights associated with every group?
Knowledge Base - phpBB3 Permissions

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”