Database table "phpbb_posts" corrupted regularly. How to fix?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
WWu777

Database table "phpbb_posts" corrupted regularly. How to fix?

Post by WWu777 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:11 am

Dear phpbb support,
One of my database tables in MySQL that my phpbb forum runs on, is corrupted. It's named "phpbb_posts".

The thing is, when I go into phpmyadmin and do a Check Tables in the database, it keeps saying that the table is corrupted and shows this error message:
[happier2_HappierAbroad.phpbb_posts] warning: Size of indexfile is: 275487744 Should be: 275486720
Either that, or it times out and produces an error message. When I try to use the Repair Tables function, it also times out and produces an error message too. I tried this many times last night. But the problem is still there.

Does anyone know what's wrong with that table and how to fix it?

On another issue, sometimes the forum times out and produces this message:
"already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections"
What does that mean? The forum is supposed to be able to handle hundreds of users at once right? So what is maxing out exactly? Is this connected to the corrupt database table problem?

Also, my hosting space was running low and was at 90 percent full. Could that cause the max out connections too? I already freed up some disk space to see if it helps.

One more question. How are those big forums that have thousands of guests and users on at once, able to handle all that? What do they do differently?

Thanks.

WWu777

Re: Database table "phpbb_posts" corrupted regularly. How to fix?

Post by WWu777 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:54 pm

Dear Support,
Every time I run a forum database check from my webhost admin panel, it says that this database field is corrupted:

Code: Select all

[happier2_HappierAbroad.phpbb_posts] error: Key in wrong position at page 169676800
[happier2_HappierAbroad.phpbb_posts] error: Corrupt
So then I go to my root server at WHM and from there I use the tools to fix the database. It says it is fixed after I run the repair tool and then do the database check again. However, in a few weeks the problem REPEATS again and I get the same error message above when checking my forum database. So this seems to be a regular occurrence. Any idea why? Any way to fix it so it doesn't come back?

Could it be that the database is too large? My forum now has over 20,000 topic threads so it's gotten huge. Maybe when phpbb gets too big, the database has this problem? What do you think?

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:07 pm

How many posts does the forum have?
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:15 pm

If your database is getting corrupted on a regular basis then it may be that your hosts have a problem - have you asked them?
WWu777 wrote:My forum now has over 20,000 topic threads so it's gotten huge
What are "topic threads"? Do you mean topics or posts? 20k of either of those is not "huge"
WWu777 wrote:The forum is supposed to be able to handle hundreds of users at once right
The number of users that the board can handle at any one time is dictated by your server configuration - not phpBB software.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:08 am

RMcGirr83 wrote:How many posts does the forum have?
Total posts 238728 • Total topics 21835

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:11 am

david63 wrote:If your database is getting corrupted on a regular basis then it may be that your hosts have a problem - have you asked them?
WWu777 wrote:My forum now has over 20,000 topic threads so it's gotten huge
What are "topic threads"? Do you mean topics or posts? 20k of either of those is not "huge"
WWu777 wrote:The forum is supposed to be able to handle hundreds of users at once right
The number of users that the board can handle at any one time is dictated by your server configuration - not phpBB software.
Yes I asked them. Of course they will say that it's the forum software problem or database problem. Of course they will try to pass the blame, just as you are doing now. lol

Topic threads are like the thread we are writing in now. This is one thread. Each thread has posts. Come on. You know what a thread is. It usually has a viewtopic.php at the end of it.

My server is ok. Its resources are not maxed out. But I don't think my server would have anything to do with database tables being corrupted. It's always that one table that's corrupted though: phpbb_posts

Any idea why?

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:22 am

If you are on a shared hosting environment your forum may be getting too large and you may need to upgrade your server (to either a VPS or dedicated).
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:37 am

WWu777 wrote:Yes I asked them. Of course they will say that it's the forum software problem or database problem. Of course they will try to pass the blame, just as you are doing now. lol
Nobody is trying to pass the blame - just trying to establish some facts. If this was a phpBB problem then there would be many more posts about it every day, as there are no such posts then the problem probably lies elsewhere. In my experience such problems are server related.
WWu777 wrote:You know what a thread is.
Yes I do - and threads are not something that phpBB uses which is why I was trying to establish what it was you were referring to.
WWu777 wrote:opic threads are like the thread we are writing in now. This is one thread.
No this is a post within a topic. Using the correct terminology will usually save everyone's time.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:40 am

RMcGirr83 wrote:If you are on a shared hosting environment your forum may be getting too large and you may need to upgrade your server (to either a VPS or dedicated).
I am on a VPS now. I manage my own resources on the server and they are fine. I don't see how a server would corrupt a phpbb database though. How in theory?

Also I keep using the "Repair Database" tool in my WHM (webhost manager) and it says it's fixed. But then my webhost admin says it's still corrupted.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:40 pm

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:08 pm

What about this forum? The phpbb support one? It must have a huge database. Do any of the tables get corrupted too? The same way mine does?

The thing is, I upgraded my forum from phpbb2 to phpbb3 before, so maybe something during that upgrade process caused this database error?

Are there any professional services where they can fix database errors? If so, can you recommend any?

RMcGirr83

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:34 pm

stevemaury wrote:Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:05 pm

stevemaury wrote:Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
Ok will do. But how will that help? And why do you guys always want us to fill out that form? Does your team get credit for the number of support tickets or something?

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:06 pm

Here it is:

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.12
What is your board's URL? http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/index.php
Who do you host your board with? Bluehost
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Conversion from phpBB2
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What MODs do you have installed? Quick Reply
Image resize code
What styles do you currently have installed? Prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 4
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I upgraded from phpbb2 to phpbb3.
Please describe your problem. Dear Support,
Every time I run a forum database check from my webhost admin panel, it says that this database field is corrupted:

[happier2_HappierAbroad.phpbb_posts] error: Key in wrong position at page 169676800
[happier2_HappierAbroad.phpbb_posts] error: Corrupt

So then I go to my root server at WHM and from there I use the tools to fix the database. It says it is fixed after I run the repair tool and then do the database check again. However, in a few weeks the problem REPEATS again and I get the same error message above when checking my forum database. So this seems to be a regular occurrence. Any idea why? Any way to fix it so it doesn't come back?

Could it be that the database is too large? My forum now has over 20,000 topic threads so it's gotten huge. Maybe when phpbb gets too big, the database has this problem? What do you think?
Generated by SRT Generator

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:14 pm

just about any time this type of problem comes up it is a problem with the host's database server.

if your host does not know this or will not fix it for you then you really should be finding a new host.

I have not heard of any situation where tables get corrupted on a regular basis that it is not attributed to a problem with the server.
if it is related to your database getting bigger then that too is a problem that your host has to deal with etc.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”