Private message warning: You are not authorised to read private messages that are on hold

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
skeddy

Private message warning: You are not authorised to read private messages that are on hold

Post by skeddy »

Good morning,

I've recently switched over to using PHPBB and so far, so good.

However, my users are all reporting that they are able to send private messages, but not read them.
The message they get is as follows:

You are not authorised to read private messages that are on hold

My settings are configured as per the below:
pm_settings.JPG
User permissions are set up to allow privates messages also:
user_perms.JPG
So I'm confused as to what setting is stopping people form reading messages. They can send, just not read.

Any advice would be appreciated.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Private message warning: You are not authorised to read private messages that are on hold

Post by KevC »

You can look at where the permissions are being blocked in permissions > permission masks.

It's usually the other way round, but are they in the newly registered users group? That is set up to stop them sending, not reading though.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
skeddy

Re: Private message warning: You are not authorised to read private messages that are on hold

Post by skeddy »

Hi KevC,

Thanks, I checked the permission mask on both the "newly registered" and "registered" groups.

Both were green per the below:
perm_mask.JPG
My groups are set up like this, and as you can see, al members are in the "registered" group.
user_groups.JPG
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

That bottom one isn't the permission mask section. Put in the username of one of the people who has the problem.

On that page you would have a O-> icon on the left end of the line so you can see where the permissions are coming from.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
skeddy

Post by skeddy »

This is the view of a single user in the permission mask.

To me, it looks like they have permissions for all private message functions.
Screenshot_2015-03-23-11-13-18.png
Other users have the same settings.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Ah hang on it says they can't read messages on hold.

Have they tried taking them off hold?
It suggests the inbox is full.
Cheap UK Hosting
peteetongman

Post by peteetongman »

yes my members started getting the same message when I set the inbox capacity to a ridiculously low number
skeddy

Post by skeddy »

Seeing as it's a brand new forum, there shouldn't be any messages, but I'll check it out.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

skeddy wrote:I've recently switched over to using PHPBB
If you switched from some other bulletin board the PMs have probably been carried over.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”