Anyone considering becoming a 3.0.x refugee?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Methen

Re: Anyone considering becoming a 3.0.x refugee?

Post by Methen »

Does anyone know who is was that re register the domain it would be nice to talk to them to see what their plans are ?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

https://www.domain.com/whois/whois/?sea ... fugees.com

as you can see there, that info is private. It does take a little time to get the hosting all set up and install a board and decide how you want to run it etc. etc . etc.

just be patient.

robert
Methen

Post by Methen »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:42 pm https://www.domain.com/whois/whois/?sea ... fugees.com

as you can see there, that info is private. It does take a little time to get the hosting all set up and install a board and decide how you want to run it etc. etc . etc.

just be patient.

robert
Guess I do not have much choice.
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

I know a lack of support can be frustrating, but I don't know what's so urgent. I doubt it's especially easy to start a site on old software.
Methen

Post by Methen »

Random American wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:26 am I know a lack of support can be frustrating, but I don't know what's so urgent. I doubt it's especially easy to start a site on old software.
Your right, I am not really in a hurry to start a site, actually it really does not matter how old the software is you use, I do have ideals I have always had load of ideals for starting up web sites but I have never had a way to implement them due to the lack of proper web scripts to run them, as well as other resources, as that would literally cost thousands of dollars to have them custom made and even then there is no guarantee for success.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

It's fine having lots of ideas of things to start but there's zero sense in running them on out of date unsupported software. Sure if you have a highly customised old site you might not want the hassle of trying to redo it all in 3.3.x (which, incidentally you probably could have done in the time you've been waiting for a 3.0 support site to start) but for anything new it's pointless to go with old software.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Deactivated 1950056

KevC wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:18 am It's fine having lots of ideas of things to start but there's zero sense in running them on out of date unsupported software. Sure if you have a highly customised old site you might not want the hassle of trying to redo it all in 3.3.x (which, incidentally you probably could have done in the time you've been waiting for a 3.0 support site to start) but for anything new it's pointless to go with old software.
Exactly. If it's a highly customized phpBB 3.0.x install though, it may not be practical to port all the MODs into Extensions and custom code for a new installation and have to worry about the board breaking or an older feature not working properly. But a new support board should not run old software because the site is just handicapping itself needlessly, and it would just be another pain to install additional features. The support of phpBB 3.0.x is enough.

It will also become irrelevant as phpBB 3.x as a whole will not last forever, and the refugee site would probably end up catering to those newer versions as well.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

It could be somebody has registered that domain name to park it for sale at a later date, it happens all the time.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Deactivated 1950056

Mick wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:41 am It could be somebody has registered that domain name to park it for sale at a later date, it happens all the time.
I hope not, but it could be.
Methen

Post by Methen »

it is not always a matter of what the new version can and can not do it is a matter of personal preference.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

If you think phpBB 3.0 has that “good old fashion forum” look you like why are you so apprehensive about upgrading to 3.3 after all, it looks much the same as 3.0? Having to worry about running out of date probably insecure code is enough for me to keep updated.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Methen

Post by Methen »

Mick wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:08 pm If you think phpBB 3.0 has that “good old fashion forum” look you like why are you so apprehensive about upgrading to 3.3 after all, it looks much the same as 3.0? Having to worry about running out of date probably insecure code is enough for me to keep updated.
No thanks Iam sticking with the mod version.
Jodi-86

Post by Jodi-86 »

Random American wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:58 pm This might be a dumb question, but does a phpBB 3.0.x support board need to actually run phpBB 3.0.x?
Random American wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:02 am But a new support board should not run old software
If the support board is for phpBB 3.1 then it should run phpBB 3.1 because the owners of that site are clearly there to help users of that specific version,

If the support board is for all phpBB versions then it should run the latest version.
Methen

Post by Methen »

Well I checked to see if the refuges 3 domain was active yet and all it says is coming soon no updates of what is going on or nothing, Well I guess that old sayings still holds true if you want something done you have to do your self...
Methen

Post by Methen »

You know when I looked at the number if views for this post which was 105322 when I clicked on it that told me one thing there must be a lot of people still interested in 3.0...

Return to “General Discussion”