Anyone considering becoming a 3.0.x refugee?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Methen

Re: Anyone considering becoming a 3.0.x refugee?

Post by Methen »

I never stay logged in on any site to me that is a security issue and gives people access to your private affairs on the internet, Such as accessing your email or what have you, people who do that stuff is taking one heck of a risk, if someone gains access to their computer, They now have access to all their personal information such as credit card info,and their personal and private lives,and that in the long run is simply not worth it just to save on time of logging in.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

technically you do not stay logged in to phpBB for more than whatever the session time is.

if you click the remember me box all that does is remember the visitor by seeing one of the phpBB cookies on their computer and log them in automatically.

also, the chances of someone being able to do what you are worried about on a phpBB board are very very slim.

for someone with your opinions about how hosting etc. should be run I am surprised that you are so concerned about your privacy on your computer.

robert
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Clicking ‘remember me’ and staying logged in, or automatically logging back in as it really is, is not a security threat. If it were there’d be millions and millions of complaints everywhere.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Methen wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:28 pm
Random American wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:58 pm This might be a dumb question, but does a phpBB 3.0.x support board need to actually run phpBB 3.0.x? I mean, it would be nice if it did, but the main issue is connecting those who can offer support for it and those who need said support. I'm asking, because there was even consideration of having a support forum on the phpBB 2 Refugees site.
Yes cause it shows that you back that which you are supporting.
Honestly, if I was to create a site, I would probably have it try to offer support for all of phpBB3. Honestly, I don't know why this site cannot have forums for old phpBB3 versions that users can use at their own risk.
Methen

Post by Methen »

You know all of this could have been avoided had they simply designed the new version of phpbb to be backwards compatible with the old But as long as you have company's to force people down the path of progress regardless of rather they want it or not then you are always going to have problems.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

By your reasoning we'd all still be using 8-bit graphics and computers wouldn't have more than about 4k of RAM!

Everything in life (and especially technology) always advances. Get on board.

Have you ever updated your phone? Your computer? Your games console? Your car? Of course you have. Why is a bit of software any different?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Methen wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:51 pm You know all of this could have been avoided had they simply designed the new version of phpbb to be backwards compatible with the old But as long as you have company's to force people down the path of progress regardless of rather they want it or not then you are always going to have problems.
Probably because they wanted to make it easier to add new features. Like adding new features mainly through Extensions as opposed to MODifications.

You cannot stop progress.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Not forgetting the security angle.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Mick wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:42 pm Not forgetting the security angle.
While that is true, from what I read, phpBB is quite robust, and that includes the old versions of phpBB3.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Don't forget that relates to all the other components that make the board work too though.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
david63

Post by david63 »

You cannot have phpBB 3.0 running with PHP8 without serious modifications which then means it is no longer true phpBB 3.0
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

david63 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:05 pm You cannot have phpBB 3.0 running with PHP8 without serious modifications which then means it is no longer true phpBB 3.0
Their boards will be safe up until their hosts uninstall older php versions from their servers.
Methen

Post by Methen »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:10 pm
david63 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:05 pm You cannot have phpBB 3.0 running with PHP8 without serious modifications which then means it is no longer true phpBB 3.0
Their boards will be safe up until their hosts uninstall older php versions from their servers.
Yep and that is a good way for a lot of web host to lose a lot of paying customers to. that is why you have sites like this

[removed]
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Methen wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:49 pm
[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:10 pm

Yep and that is a good way for a lot of web host to lose a lot of paying customers to. that is why you have sites like this
It is only a good idea to do that if you have hard core MODs that you cannot go without. Everyone who can upgrade should upgrade.
david63

Post by david63 »

Methen wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:49 pm and that is a good way for a lot of web host to lose a lot of paying customers
Actually the opposite is true - a host that uses outdated, unsupported software will loose more customers than they will attract for niche usage. If I was looking for a new host and found that they were offering PHP5 I would walk away.

And any host that is offering niche requirements will, in all probability, be charging a lot for the privilege.

Return to “General Discussion”