Anyone considering becoming a 3.0.x refugee?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Re: Anyone considering becoming a 3.0.x refugee?

Post by Kailey »

Methen wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 pm if you do not mind a small suggestion you should try and duplicate the lay out they have here on the phpbb 3.0 section like they have here viewforum.php?f=49 it would make people more comfortable cause that is what they are use to...
The layout (generally) follows the layout this site had when 3.0.x was the cat's meow. See this link.
KevC wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 pm Your problem will be when your host upgrades php and your site stops working. You will not be able to get round that easily.
Part of the reason I run my own VPS. I have control over what's installed. You are correct though - those that rely on their host to handle the servers are at their will.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Regardless of if you control your server or not I'd like to point out that running outdated software on a web server is both dangerous and irresponsible. phpBB 3.0 no longer receives any updates or official support of any kind, including any security issues, and neither do the PHP versions that support it. Those that want to "hold out" will be taking a big risk in doing so and need to seriously consider if it's worth it.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by Kailey »

I'm not that thick... ;)

The site is a temporary solution for now. I'm currently looking at the best way to allow those that wish to take that risk to have a discussion platform. I personally have already upgraded all my sites and the supporting software it runs on.
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

My main site - though pretty much dead (only I really post there) - still uses 3.0.x, so I guess I already am one
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
noth

Post by noth »

I would have thought that the responsive nature of 3.1 would be a major issue in this discussion.

more users view internet over mobile phones than PCs .

so to give your users non-responsive 3.0, in this era of "phones rule the internet" has got to be poor service.

and to argue that a 3.0 admin can "make his forums responsive" is a possibility I suppose, but sounds like a big ask
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

noth wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:36 pm I would have thought that the responsive nature of 3.1 would be a major issue in this discussion.
Responsive nature was and is a strong enticement to update/upgrade, as were the new functions. I'm fairly certain that most unmodified 3.0.x forums were upgrade quickly, but many modified forums wil have stayed with 3.0.x while waiting for extensions with the desired (or "needed") functionalities.
That certainly was the case with my forum and there was never any rush since most members (still) use PCs and not smartphones. That lack of urgency made me slowly transform most of my modifications for use in 3.1 (basically ithat was just messing around with custom coding) and it was only when EOL of 3.0 was announced that I shifted gear and started recoding everything to extensions. Then when 3.2 was released I had to shift to a higher gear because most of my extensions just weren't complete.
It's now 3 months ago that I had decided to end my forum days. But I started visiting phpBB again and noticed quite a few released extensions which did exactly what I wanted (but much better and cleaner coded) and then I decided to give it another go.

I was quite fond of 3.0 but once my forum is fully working on 3.2 I'm sure I'll be able to bury 3.0 without regrets.
mrgtb

Post by mrgtb »

I'm on 3.1.11 (not 3.0.x version), so I at least have the responsive style. But in the same boat here. After a number of years running phpBB and moving from 3.0 to 3.1, I am now staying on what I have... mostly because of the work I've put into the site style and having all the mods I need installed. Too much hassle moving to 3.2 next when the forum isn't even active enough to warrant doing it. This will be my last forum run.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

2.5 years have passed since first replying to this topic, and in the meantime I modifed a 3.0 installation successfully to be PHP7 compatible. Even did this for a VBulletin 3 installation. Since then I compared files now and again and still didn't see much improvement in coding efficiency and bugs found still live on, probably up to today. All the new features have already been done by me, mostly earlier than official versions. The responsive style which everybody praises is the only thing not needed at all, since posting and downloading pictures as main purpose for the board can't be done in any serious way thru a device with a rather small screen - but as a counter feature users have separate display settings for mobile devices, so they can turn off avatars, signatures and much more for mobile usage.
Methen

Post by Methen »

So what happen to the refugee site ?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

It is currently timing out when you try to access it. not sure what happened.

robert
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by Kailey »

There was a server fire :shock:

Although I had backups of my other site, I can't find the backup I made of the refugee site. As I posted in the announcement a few weeks ago, I'm willing the transfer the domain to someone if they want to build it back (I currently have no time to maintain and that's not fair to the community). If interested, send me a PM.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
Methen

Post by Methen »

So what happen to the ideal of starting up a phpbb 3 refugees site ?
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

Methen wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:46 pm So what happen to the ideal of starting up a phpbb 3 refugees site ?
Would anyone be interested in a group of subforums on the phpbb2 refugees site?
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

For some reason phpBB2Refugees seems to be down, but it is not a bad idea for old 3.0 support to be just a forum on that site as you both are holdouts.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

nope still up and running:
http://www.phpbb2refugees.com/index.php

the site/board did change ownership just earlier this year but he got it up and going within just a couple of days I believe.

robert

Return to “General Discussion”