Guests see forum, topics, but cannot read posts unless registered(3.1.5)

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
egbl

Guests see forum, topics, but cannot read posts unless registered(3.1.5)

Post by egbl » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Hi, can anyone help with this extension for 3.1.5.

I saw a good thread here for 3.0 (I'm not sure if it will work for the newer version)

viewtopic.php?p=7139735#p7139735

I would like guests to be able to view the forum, and see all the topics. However, when they click on a topic they are informed they must be registered to continue.

I've tried to set the forum to "see forum" and not "read forum" and it shows the forum, but does not show the topics.

Any assistance on this is greatly appreciated!

SalazarAG

Re: Guests see forum, topics, but cannot read posts unless registered(3.1.5)

Post by SalazarAG » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:57 pm

Hello, I have a somewhat different this what you want, but very good.

User can see the forum, the titles of topics, but when he clicks and the topic is open, instead of him see the posts of the topics, you see a message asking you to register.

In ./styles/yourstyle/template/viewtopic_body,html locate

{postrow.MESSAGE}

replace with

Code: Select all

<!-- IF S_USER_LOGGED_IN -->{postrow.MESSAGE}<!-- ELSE -->You need <!-- IF S_REGISTER_ENABLED and not (S_SHOW_COPPA or S_REGISTRATION) --><a href="{U_REGISTER}">{L_REGISTER}</a> or <!-- ENDIF --><a href="{U_LOGIN_LOGOUT}" title="{L_LOGIN_LOGOUT}" accesskey="x">{L_LOGIN_LOGOUT}</a> to see all posts.<!-- ENDIF -->

You can also add to the visitors only see the first post of the topic, but I think that's not what you want.
I'm sorry for my English. Google Translator does a bad job. :D

mamba

Post by mamba » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:45 am

I need an update to this for 3.1.x
viewtopic.php?p=7139735#p7139735

This extension is requested again and again, but there is no posted solution (same question was asked here and here etc etc). The solution in the link above no longer works for 3.1

IMO the ability to allow guests to see topic titles but not read the topic contents is very much required. vBulletin has it, why not phpbb? It is a great way to incentivize visitors into registration.

Any answers?
Using 3.2, PHP version 7, MySQL 5.5, Host: hostgator shared Linux, Style: Prosilver

mamba

Post by mamba » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:48 am

SalazarAG wrote:Hello, I have a somewhat different this what you want, but very good.

User can see the forum, the titles of topics, but when he clicks and the topic is open, instead of him see the posts of the topics, you see a message asking you to register.

{postrow.MESSAGE}

replace with

<!-- IF S_USER_LOGGED_IN -->{postrow.MESSAGE}<!-- ELSE -->You need <!-- IF S_REGISTER_ENABLED and not (S_SHOW_COPPA or S_REGISTRATION) --><a href="{U_REGISTER}">{L_REGISTER}</a> or <!-- ENDIF --><a href="{U_LOGIN_LOGOUT}" title="{L_LOGIN_LOGOUT}" accesskey="x">{L_LOGIN_LOGOUT}</a> to see all posts.<!-- ENDIF -->

You can also add to the visitors only see the first post of the topic, but I think that's not what you want.
Salazar, that works to an extent. Unfortunately, it also stops Guests from reading open forums that do not require registration.

Is there some way I can alter that code like this:

<!-- IF S_USER_LOGGED_IN OR FORUM_NAME="myopenforum" -->{postrow.MESSAGE}<!-- ELSE -->You need <!-- IF S_REGISTER_ENABLED and not (S_SHOW_COPPA or S_REGISTRATION) --><a href="{U_REGISTER}">{L_REGISTER}</a> or <!-- ENDIF --><a href="{U_LOGIN_LOGOUT}" title="{L_LOGIN_LOGOUT}" accesskey="x">{L_LOGIN_LOGOUT}</a> to see all posts.<!-- ENDIF -->
Using 3.2, PHP version 7, MySQL 5.5, Host: hostgator shared Linux, Style: Prosilver

SalazarAG

Post by SalazarAG » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:58 am

mamba wrote:
SalazarAG wrote:Hello, I have a somewhat different this what you want, but very good.

{postrow.MESSAGE}

replace with

Salazar, that works to an extent. Unfortunately, it also stops Guests from reading open forums that do not require registration.

Is there some way I can alter that code like this:

<!-- IF S_USER_LOGGED_IN OR FORUM_NAME="myopenforum" -->{postrow.MESSAGE}<!-- ELSE -->You need <!-- IF S_REGISTER_ENABLED and not (S_SHOW_COPPA or S_REGISTRATION) --><a href="{U_REGISTER}">{L_REGISTER}</a> or <!-- ENDIF --><a href="{U_LOGIN_LOGOUT}" title="{L_LOGIN_LOGOUT}" accesskey="x">{L_LOGIN_LOGOUT}</a> to see all posts.<!-- ENDIF -->
I not quite understand what you want, but take a look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2356676
I'm sorry for my English. Google Translator does a bad job. :D

mamba

Post by mamba » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:18 am

Thanks, wonderful :D

Return to “Extension Requests”