How to configure OAuth for facebook?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Dragosvr92
Name: Dragos Valentin Rădulescu

How to configure OAuth for facebook?

Post by Dragosvr92 »

So i went to https://developers.facebook.com/apps/ and created a dev app for my login.

But i dont think it is configured properly. Could anyone post instructions how to properly configure OAuth for Facebook and Google?

When i am trying to login on my board via the fb app, it returns this message. is this normal?
You have attempted to login with an external service that is not yet connected to an account on this board. You must now either link this account to an existing account or create a new account.
I am asking because on many other sites this process is usually automatic;
It checks if your fb email exists in your database, and if it does, it logs you in, if not, it automatically registers you. I see area51 has the same behaviour.
Formerly known as TheKiller
3.0| Avatar on Memberlist 1.0.3
Elias
Name: Elias

Re: How to configure OAuth for facebook?

Post by Elias »

Have a read at this:
viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2309776&p=14269551#p14269551

Let me know if that helps!
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I had it working before i posted but i was puzzled if it works as intended.
Usually the fb login logs you in automatically by matching your email address from your account with your fb email address. And if you want to register, it does it automatically, or it autofills the fields with data from your fb profile. On phpbb i see you need to do all of this manually and i havent seen any sites work like this.

I think there may be security settings i should fiddle with to make sure there arent vulnerabilities.
Thats why i think phpbb should have written official instructions on how to do this.
TWEagle

Post by TWEagle »

the only thing you must do manually is put the code from te app (security code and key) and then it will be used for logging in

there is another option

using oneapp but I personally don't like it myself
Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

TWEagle wrote:the only thing you must do manually is put the code from te app (security code and key) and then it will be used for logging in

there is another option

using oneapp but I personally don't like it myself
After you hit the facebook login button, you have to manually type your login info.
If you dont have an account, you have to register manually, as done without having OAuth enabled.

All it does is log you in automatically If you have an account and validate it. It doesnt work like OAuth logins work usually.

I guess i should have started this discussion on area51....
TWEagle

Post by TWEagle »

the first time it connects fb with your account on the forum and the next time you can login via your facebook account

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”