Mods

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
CarpCharacin
Name: James Stewart

Mods

Post by CarpCharacin » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:30 pm

I am upgrading a heavily modified board to phpbb 3.1. Most of the modifications are being discarded with the upgrade. WP united is installed, but I want t preserve the wordpress site, but have it separate from the phpbb site. Here is a screenshot of the ACP. No options to disable WP united.
mods.PNG

Ibedejo

Re: Mods

Post by Ibedejo » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:52 pm

It has been a while since I experimented with WPU, so all of this is labeled IIRC ...

De-install the WPU plugin in WordPress and you should be on a stand alone installation again.
README_FIRST.txt wrote:UNINSTALLING (Noooooo!)
-----------------------------------
If you want to uninstall WP-United, be sure to click the "disable" button in the WP-United - >Setup/Status panel before deactivating the WordPress plugin. Otherwise, phpBB won't know that WP-United has been disabled.
"Should be" since there is no longer any detailed WPU documentation available - maybe you seek contact with the mentioned former admin who did the installation/configuration.
As far as phpBB is concerned: if you follow the upgrade instructions (and clear the remnands of all MODs from the phpBB DB via STK first) the upgrade process will take care of the additional files left.
CarpCharacin wrote:but I want t preserve the wordpress site
WP has always been a separate installation. You have to find out where on the server the WP directory is located - it may reside inside the phpBB directory or in its own one. Just don't delete it.

Does WP have its own DB or do they both share the same one?

It looks like you need to get familiar not only with phpBB but with WP as well ...

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:10 pm

How do I remove mods in the database? Couldn't I just run modission_reset.php? I am familiar with phpbb I'm just not very familiar with wordpress. The thing is that I can't access the WP admin panel. There is no link. I know what directory it is installed in.

Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:42 pm

You don't "remove" MODs in the DB manually - don't touch the DB this way as long as you don't know exactly what you are doing and what the consequences of this may be.

STK is an official tool kit for 3.0 - one of its use cases is to "set back" the DB by removing all entries and tables added by installing MODs.
BUT: here as well you have to know what you are doing, so get informed and practise the steps.
(Having a local testing environment comes in handy in such cases ...)
CarpCharacin wrote:Couldn't I just run modission_reset.php?
In your case this might be more secure, true. Whether it can solve all potential problems that might occur after upgrading - I don't know. Never had the need to use this tool.
CarpCharacin wrote:The thing is that I can't access the WP admin panel. There is no link.
You don't need a "link" for that. All you need is the URL to the WP start page (the one where you log in).
Do you have admin access? Because this is what you definitly need ...

May I be frank?
If WP is such an integral part of this site upgrading phpBB alone will not suffice to do the job you volunteered for.
Could it be that you volunteered for something that is way beyond your current capabilities?

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:11 pm

I have used modission_reset.php in the past and it worked just fine. Wordpress isn't an integral part of the site. It is just a library containing a few articles from fish experts. I know how to upgrade wordpress. I have admin access on the site. WP united is supposed to be a user bridge. At first when you said STK, I didn't know what it was, but I do know about the support toolkit and it just took me a while to figure out that STK was support toolkit LOL. Doing the upgrade isn't beyond my current capabilities. What is the URL for the start page? I tried /wp-admin/ and it just said page not found.

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:41 am

Ok there are some wordpress files in a library folder at the root, but the directory of the library is at /forum/library/, not just /library/.
EDIT: I just found another folder at /forum/wpu-library/. What should I do with it?
UPDATE: I have installed the STK. How do I remove mods in the STK?
EDIT: I used the database cleaner and I got this error

Code: Select all

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table 'thepuffer_TPFdb.phpbb3_fc_connections' doesn't exist [1146]

SQL

SELECT u.username, u.user_colour FROM phpbb3_fc_connections c, phpbb3_users u WHERE u.user_id = c.userid ORDER BY u.username ASC

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/db/dbal.php
LINE: 757
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/db/mysqli.php
LINE: 182
CALL: dbal->sql_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions.php
LINE: 4219
CALL: dbal_mysqli->sql_query()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions.php
LINE: 4519
CALL: obtain_users_online_string()

FILE: [ROOT]/index.php
LINE: 139
CALL: page_header()
Should I just do the upgrade? Will that fix it? I can stll access parts of the forum an the ACP.
EDIT: I partially deleted a /cms/ directory on the root that contained a WP admin folder. I stopped deleting it when I realized that.
EDIT: I am thinking that I will do a db dump on the wp site and import it into a fresh installation and then proceed with the upgrade.

Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:01 pm

Stop whatever you are about to do next!

Restore everything and bring back this site to the status it had before you started messing around with it.
See to it that its working in its "old configuration" again.
(If you are through with this, please drop a link to the site you are "working" on.)

Then, for the sake of this site, sit down and plan your steps (all steps needed) thoroughly before you start doing anything.
And: seriously consider setting up a local test environmnt (e.g. XAMPP) where you set up a copy of the site (with all components affected by your upgrading).
Then practise the upgrade there until everything works flawlessly, including WP and whatever else needs to be runnig in the end.
Do it methodically and you will result in a checklist you can follow when you start doing "the real thing".

The structure of this site and how things are possibly interconnected seem to be a little more complex, so "upgrading phpBB" might not be that trivial in this case.

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:10 pm

I am importing the wp database int a fresh install of wp.

Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:23 pm

CarpCharacin wrote:I am importing the wp database int a fresh install of wp.
In case you haven't noticed: your board is down ...

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:30 pm

Ibedejo wrote:
CarpCharacin wrote:I am importing the wp database int a fresh install of wp.
In case you haven't noticed: your board is down ...
I know and that is because I removed some mod tables and I am going to do the upgrade and that should fix it.

Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:45 pm

Would you mind telling us exactly what you have done up to now?
Step by step?

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:49 pm

Ibedejo wrote:Would you mind telling us exactly what you have done up to now?
Step by step?
I removed the tables, i imported the database into a fresh wp installation and I am in the process of deleting 4000 spam comments and after that I will do the upgrade.

Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:57 pm

According to your previous posts you've done a lot more.
So my question is still unanswered.

What did you do; how did you do it and in which sequence?
No steps omitted, please.

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:12 pm

Ibedejo wrote:According to your previous posts you've done a lot more.
So my question is still unanswered.

What did you do; how did you do it and in which sequence?
No steps omitted, please.
I removed the tables in the STK and that caused the errors. I did a fresh install of WP and imported teh database and updated it. Now all I have to do is the actual phpbb upgrade.

Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:24 pm

Okay.
How do you want to upgrade phpBB?

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”