[2.0.11] E-mail style quoting

The cleanup is complete. This forum is now read only.

Rating:

Excellent!
No votes
Very Good
33%
Good
No votes
Fair
No votes
Poor
67%

Total votes: 3

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.11] E-mail style quoting

Post by Extensions Robot »

MOD Name: E-mail style quoting
Author: BadBlock
MOD Description: This mod changes the way phpBB quotes messages from BBcode [quote] style to standard e-mail style (">" symbol at the beginning of every quoted line). Quoted strings are then highlighted with pre-defined colors when viewing topics and private messages.

MOD Version: 1.0.2 (Updated 02/23/05)

Download File: quotemod_1_0_2.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 1992 Bytes

Security Score: 0
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
This MOD turns quotes into the Email style of quoting. So it uses > at the beginning of each line in the quote. It will also change the color of each quote depending on the nesting of the quotes.
SineSwiper

Post by SineSwiper »

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/tows.cc/public_html/phpBB2/posting.php on line 914

This error was fixed when I removed it. It worked on one quote, but quoting a already >-style quoted message seemed to put the code into an endless loop.
BadBlock

Post by BadBlock »

SineSwiper wrote:
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/tows.cc/public_html/phpBB2/posting.php on line 914

This error was fixed when I removed it. It worked on one quote, but quoting a already >-style quoted message seemed to put the code into an endless loop.

I analyzed the code. Yes, you are right, there is a place in the code that may loop endlessly under some conditions. To solve the problem:

1. Open mod file.
2. Find

Code: Select all

while ($curchar!="\n") {
3. Replace with

while ($curchar!="\n" and $bbc<=strlen($text)) {
This line is to be replaced twice in the code, 'cause it is inserted into posting.php and privmsg.php.

Or, you may find and replace this line in modded files, if you have already applied the mod.

Thank you.
Darkmonkey
Former Team Member

Post by Darkmonkey »

MOD Updated to version 1.0.2
See first post for Download Link
Bacchus1

Post by Bacchus1 »

I found a problem with this mod. When you quote a quote, the bolded name of the user from the first quote gets changed to the colour of the second quote.

So it will look like this:

blah blah blah
>first
>Blah blah blah
>Second

>blah blah blah

Also, is there a way to get rid of the ">" infront of the bolded quoted person's name?
BadBlock

Post by BadBlock »

I found a problem with this mod. When you quote a quote, the bolded name of the user from the first quote gets changed to the colour of the second quote.

Eeeh... 8O I think I did not quite understand.

Could you post a real example (or link to a real example) of how the mod quotes and next to it – how you would like it to quote.

Or, post a quote example in this test topic http://www.sarov.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5501 (mod is installed, no registration required in test forum) notifying me what's wrong and how it should look like.
Also, is there a way to get rid of the ">" infront of the bolded quoted person's name?

The mod quotes posters' names with ">" as well as other text at present and thus paints them in viewtopic.
Yes, the mod may be modded to quote them not.
To do this, it is needed to apply small changes to the mod so that it formats quoted poster's name with a chain of symbols that could be easily recognized later and ignored for quoting with ">".

For example:

Try to change

$message="[b]".$quote_username." :[/b]\n".$replybbm;
to

$message="[b]:: ".$quote_username." :[/b]\n".$replybbm;
(twice in the mod)

and then change

if ($curstrlen==0)  $replybbm = $replybbm . "> ";
to

if ($curstrlen==0 and (substr($text, $bbc, 6)!='[b]:: '))  $replybbm = $replybbm . "> ";
(twice in the mod)

I think then your need will be satisfied.
(needs to be tested)
You see, we add two colons before quoted poster's name and then ignore every string beginning with ":: " while quoting.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Cleanup”