Associative database: Searching for example/tutorial/HowTo.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Sopalajo de Arrierez

Associative database: Searching for example/tutorial/HowTo.

Post by Sopalajo de Arrierez » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:49 pm

I am new to phpBB, but I have found that my users database (a neighbour's forum) must be relational, as long as each user could have more than one house.

I have not been able to find some simple tutorial or Howto that shows me a example for doing this.
I have only found theorical explanations about relational (associative) databases, key_id and so on, but I don't know the steps to give on my ACP.

Could anyone please point me in the right direction?

Toxyy

Re: Associative database: Searching for example/tutorial/HowTo.

Post by Toxyy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:54 pm

You want two sites to share the same user database?

Or do you want the databases to be separate, but for identical users to have seamless access between sites...?
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Sopalajo de Arrierez

Post by Sopalajo de Arrierez » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:04 pm

Toxyy wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:54 pm
You want two sites to share the same user database?

Or do you want the databases to be separate, but for identical users to have seamless access between sites...?
No, I want just one site, but the users could have any number of properties (homes).

Assuming for users (neighbors on the same building) these fields below:

Code: Select all

Name
Floor
Letter
Example: Joe Smith, 25 years, male, could have a home at floor 7, letter C.

But what happens if Jane Doe, 23 years, female, have 3 homes? Say:

Code: Select all

floor 3, letter B
floor 5, letter A
floor 10, letter H
Some tutorial, instructions, how-to or at least detailed example that shows the proper way to implement this on my forum is what I am searching for.

Maybe I am not posing the correct question on the topic? Should I create two sites, one for homes and another for neighbors? And what are the steps to link them?

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:26 pm

I'm not really sure this is a Phpbb question...

But, perhaps create a table of different floors, and add whatever columns you need. Then add a column for users that own that floor/letter, and separate them by commas or something. Or, keep the column in your user database that you made for floors and letters, separate additional floors with commas, and have a null character incase the floor/letter is blank for that address. Each new floor or whatever will be in the second position in that list, correlating with null characters if you need them. Just my two cents.

Look up other tutorials on how to associate them, but this is how I would begin to approach it.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Sopalajo de Arrierez

Post by Sopalajo de Arrierez » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:04 pm

Toxyy wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:26 pm
I'm not really sure this is a Phpbb question...
I think it should be.
What I have described is just a very simple forum. There should be some tutorial explaining this.

If someone gives me the guidelines to perform the process, I offer myself to create the tutorial (I am still new, and I don't know if the forum accepts tutorials).

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:16 pm

There are no houses in phpBB. How does your question relate to phpBB?

Sopalajo de Arrierez

Post by Sopalajo de Arrierez » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:41 am

Brf wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:16 pm
There are no houses in phpBB. How does your question relate to phpBB?
Well, phpBB requires (and works) with a database. Basic management of databases using phpBB interface and/or configuration files should be explained somewhere.

Maybe a forum for neighbors will never work on phpBB if there is no way to correctly store the user's data.
Last edited by Sopalajo de Arrierez on Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:05 am

Many systems use mysql or whatever kind of other databases to store information. Forums are more general systems rather than specific. Not all forums need users to input their housing information, and even not all forums that do do something similar would have a need to manipulate it a lot.

So, for general phpbb support, no this doesn't apply. These features are not built into the forum, so this wouldn't be the proper place to ask.

Your best bet is either stack exchange, or the extension requests/development forum, the latter if you already have some code in place and in development and need specific help to get it working for you (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one).
Last edited by Toxyy on Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sopalajo de Arrierez

Post by Sopalajo de Arrierez » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:06 am

I don't mind to search any other place about relational databases, but how do I apply the info to my phpBB forum?

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:08 am

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”