Migrating from 3.0.14 to 3.2.1, can't update database (updater page not found)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
andrewilley

Migrating from 3.0.14 to 3.2.1, can't update database (updater page not found)

Post by andrewilley » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:35 pm

I'm trying to migrate my phpBB 3.0.14 board to 3.2.1 on my testing server (Synology DS416 NAS, PHP 5.6, MariaDB 5.5.54, config.php is set to mysqli mode, permission 644).

I've followed all of the steps outlined in the docs (as shown below) but when I get to the point of trying to update the SQL database, the relevant updater page is 404 not found. The initial /forum/install/app.php page loads fine, but when I click on the 'Update' tab it tries to load /forum/install/app.php/update which fails (I guess that since app.php is a file not a folder, that path should be invalid anyway).

Steps taken:
  • Backed up original files & database.
  • Deactivated styles except for prosilver (only one extra mobile style was present).
  • Used the Support Toolkit's Database Cleaner to remove MOD-related changes from the database.
  • Set British English as the only language pack [actually the only lang option in my original installation is named just 'English']
  • Deleted the following from the downloaded phpBB 3.2.1 folder:
    config.php
    The images/ directory
    The files/ directory
    The store/ directory
  • Deleted all files from my web server /forum/ folder EXCEPT for:
    config.php
    The images/ directory
    The files/ directory
    The store/ directory
  • Copied all of the remaining phpBB 3.2.1 folder & file contents to my forum directory.
  • Using Chrome browser, visited /forum/install/ at my web server address.
  • Clicked the Update tab on the Install page... and I get a 404 error when it tries to navigate to /forum/install/app.php/update
The install folder from the downloaded ZIP contains only the following files and three folders:
convert/
convertors/
schemas/
app.php
index.html
phpbbcli.php
phpinfo.php
startup.php

Thanks for anyone's help on this one, it was all going so well up to this point!

Andre
--- Admin of www.portorleans.org

andrewilley

Re: Migrating from 3.0.14 to 3.2.1, can't update database (updater page not found)

Post by andrewilley » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:56 am

Oh, and I did try running the command-line version of the database updater, issued from my forum's root directory, but got the following error:

Code: Select all

Z:\forum> php ./bin/phpbbcli.php db:migrate --safe-mode
'php' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Z:\forum>
Looks like php access is not provided by Windows 10's Command Line, do I need to install something else first?

I did also try directly on the Synology NAS too, via a PuTTY session to the server, but that failed also. Is the process intended to be run in Windows, as the docs are unclear?

root@DiskStation:/volume1/web/forum# php ./bin/phpbbcli.php db:migrate --safe-mode
PHP Fatal error:  SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]<br /><br />mysqli_connect function does not exist, is mysqli extension installed? []<br /><br />An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists. in /volume1/web/forum/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php on line 999

Fatal error: SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]<br /><br />mysqli_connect function does not exist, is mysqli extension installed? []<br /><br />An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists. in /volume1/web/forum/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php on line 999
root@DiskStation:/volume1/web/forum#
Any help out there please?

Andre

Mannix_

Re: Migrating from 3.0.14 to 3.2.1, can't update database (updater page not found)

Post by Mannix_ » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:18 am

I think you downloaded wrong ZIP package. You need full package that can be found here https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
My CDB contributions . Like my work? Want me to do make a style just for you? PM here or on twitter.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Need some graphics? PM here or on twitter.

andrewilley

Post by andrewilley » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:14 am

I had downloaded the latest "Full Package ZIP", from the same page you linked to, with filename phpBB-3.2.1.zip (7,767,156 bytes). That was what the docs stated was needed in order to migrate from 3.0.x - which is basically pretty much a fresh install but using the existing database as far as I can determine.

Overall I'm not especially keen on phpBB's policy on upgrade paths from what I've read so far. The methodology seems to be to throw away everything (mods, tweaks, etc) from any previous versions, which is going to create me a lot of work once I do get this database updated.

Andre

andrewilley

Post by andrewilley » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:09 pm

I've tried installing WAMP on my PC to see if I can get the command-line version to work, and got the following result when running it from within the forum root folder, I suspect because the database is hosted externally to the PC:

Z:\forum> C:\wamp64\bin\php\php5.6.25\php ./bin/phpbbcli.php db:migrate --safe-mode

Fatal error: SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]<br /><br />No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
 [2002]<br /><br />An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists. in Z:\forum\phpbb\db\driver\driver.php on line 999

Z:\forum>
In case it's relevant, here's the info from my config.php file that points to the database (and it works fine in 3.0.14). This is hosted on my NAS, and the web folder is network mapped as Z:\ on my PC for editing purposes:

<?php
// phpBB 3.0.x auto-generated configuration file
// Do not change anything in this file!
//
// TESTING NAS VERSION

$dbms            = 'mysqli';
$dbhost          = 'localhost';
$dbport          = '';
$dbname          = 'PortOrleans_phpBB3.0.14_FromLive2Sep2017'; // Restored from live online website on 2 Sept 2017 and tested in 3.0.14 ;
$dbuser          = 'root';
$dbpasswd        = '*********';
$table_prefix    = 'phpbb_';
$acm_type        = 'file';
$load_extensions = '';

@define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
// @define('DEBUG', true);
// @define('DEBUG_EXTRA', true);
?>
Andre

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:23 pm

Are you sure that the database name is correct? There is nothing to say that it isn't, but it is a very unusual name for a database.

Also if it is hosted externally then you will need the full address to the host - "localhost" is what it says - local.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

andrewilley

Post by andrewilley » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:34 pm

Yes the database name is correct, and it all works fine in 3.0.14. Whenever I copy over an updated/backup database from the live (online) 3.0.14 server to my local test server, I name it accordingly and also keep the backup versions. Once it has been properly updated to the new 3.2 format I will adjust the naming again too (and the matching line in config.php too) so I know which database is for what system. That way I can maintain two forum folders, each pointing to different database forks, for testing purposes in the meantime.

This test system is on my NAS, so running the installer/updater via its LAN web address (http://192.168.1.5/forum/install) should work fine, and while that does fetch the initial installer page for 3.2.1, clicking on the Update tab results in a 404 error.

I wasn't really expecting Windows command-line on my PC to cope, but I thought I'd give it a go. I was hoping running the command line version via PuTTY on the NAS itself might work though.

Andre

andrewilley

Post by andrewilley » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:51 am

I've just gone back to the start and re-wiped and re-extracted all of the required 3.2.1 files into my forum directory from a re-downloaded ZIP file (excluding config.php, /files/*.*, /images/*.* and /store/*.*). I've also validated the copied files with the ZIP contents via Total Commander. Still the same result:

I can access the http://192.168.1.5/forum/install web page (which redirects to http://192.168.1.5/forum/install/app.php), but all of the tabs and links within the page fail to load with a 404 error. The problem pages all seem to be trying to access a subdirectory path from app.php, which seems nonsense to me as that is a file not a directory (e.g. http://192.168.1.5/forumnew/install/app.php/update, http://192.168.1.5/forumnew/install/app.php/convert, http://192.168.1.5/forumnew/install/app.php/support and http://192.168.1.5/forumnew/install/app.php/license all return 404 errors).

Any Support Team help on this issue would be very much appreciated as I'm on something of a deadline to get this done, new mods added, tested and then implemented onto my live server before my web provider removes PHP 5.6 support at the end of the month. Thanks!

Andre

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:53 pm

Did you upload the .htaccess ? and is it the new one?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

andrewilley

Post by andrewilley » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:36 pm

Yes, I have removed the old .htaccess and extracted the new one directly into the forum folder.

There was no suggestion in the docs to edit it, but looking inside there is a note that says I might need to add a RewriteBase line to point to /forum/, although I can't see why that would be necessary as pages should understand that they are running in a subfolder underneath the site's root, that's what paths are for.

[Edit: Tried that, it made no difference, all of the Install page tabs and options still return a 404 error when clicked]

Andre

andrewilley

Post by andrewilley » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:07 am

Should I perhaps be posting this elsewhere? This did seem the right subforum, but so far I'm still really stuck, and even after I get the database updater working I've got a lot of additional work that I'll need to do on page code before the end of the month when my server providers finally remove PHP 5.6. :(

Andre

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:43 am

andrewilley wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:07 am
I've got a lot of additional work that I'll need to do on page code before the end of the month
What sort of coding? If you require custom coding help there's a forum for that.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:46 am

Sounds like a server redirection issue but why not try going to 3.1 first as an intermediate step.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

andrewilley

Post by andrewilley » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Mick wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:43 am
What sort of coding? If you require custom coding help there's a forum for that.
I have a number of PHP scripts which run on my site's homepage and on a News page which cull content from one of the phpBB subforums for inclusion in the main site as news articles/etc, and I'll bet any amount of money that they won't just continue to work flawlessly once I get 3.2.x working. :) I could be wrong of course, but it does sound too good to be true.

I will also need to eventually embed the forum layout into my site's overall wrapper, which I'm hoping will just be a case of making the same sort of HTML/CSS changes that I did with 3.0.14 (see www.portorleans.org/forum for an idea of how it looks at the moment) but I'd be prepared to run with it unskinned in the meantime if necessary due to the deadline for removing PHP 5.6 support.

However these are things I'll need to tackle once I get the migration complete in the relevant topics.

KevC wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:46 am
Sounds like a server redirection issue but why not try going to 3.1 first as an intermediate step.
I could be wrong, but wasn't 3.2.x necessary for running under PHP 7? If 3.1.x will work as well under PHP 7 then I'll definitely try that, thanks for the tip.

I don't really want to upgrade at all to be honest, I've got 3.0.14 working just the way I want it and really don't want to mess, but it's been forced on my by the server provider and their removal of PHP 5,6 (and changing providers would probably be even more hassle).

Andre

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:16 pm

3.1.x won't work on php7 but it's obviously stumbling trying to get directly to 3.2 so I thought it might work to go to 3.1 and then 3.2. It should only be a case of uploading the files and running the update.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”