Can't login as admin

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
whatsupyou

Can't login as admin

Post by whatsupyou » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi,

I can't login to my forum with my admin user and password. Do I need to create a new admin in phpmyadmin? If so how can you do that?

Kind regards

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Can't login as admin

Post by KevC » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:06 pm

That's very typical of host installed versions. Is that the case?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

whatsupyou

Post by whatsupyou » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:08 pm

KevC wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:06 pm
That's very typical of host installed versions. Is that the case?
I have installed it manually not via the host.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

whatsupyou

Post by whatsupyou » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:14 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.1
What is your board's URL? No answer given
Who do you host your board with? No answer given
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? No answer given
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? No answer given
Please describe your problem. I can't login to my forum with my admin user and password. Do I need to create a new admin in phpmyadmin? If so how can you do that?
Generated by SRT Generator

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:16 pm

whatsupyou wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:14 pm
That bit would be useful because it might just be a cookie issue so making another account won't fix that.
Cheap UK Hosting

whatsupyou

Post by whatsupyou » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:37 pm

KevC wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:16 pm
whatsupyou wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:14 pm
That bit would be useful because it might just be a cookie issue so making another account won't fix that.
It's http://www.swifttopic.com/

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:44 pm

As it's brand new with nothing on it I'd be inclined to empty the database, reupload /install and the blank config.php file and try again. Your cookies look fine.
Cheap UK Hosting

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Cookies look OK. Here you go:

In phpMyAdmin, run the following, which will create an admin user named Admin1 with a password of admin. From that point you should be able to get into the ACP.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (user_type, group_id, username, username_clean, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, user_lang, user_style, user_rank, user_colour, user_posts, user_permissions, user_ip, user_birthday, user_lastpage, user_last_confirm_key, user_post_sortby_type, user_post_sortby_dir, user_topic_sortby_type, user_topic_sortby_dir, user_avatar, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_jabber, user_actkey, user_newpasswd) VALUES (3, 5, 'Admin1', 'admin1', 0, '21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3', 'admin@example.com', 'en', 1, 1, 'AA0000', 1, '', '', '', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '', '', '', '', '', '');
Change your table prefix if it is not phpbb_

See Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin if you are unfamiliar with running database queries.

As soon as you have done this, use the temporary admin account to change the details on the original admin account, then delete the temporary account.
This is because:
  1. anyone could use that account to log in to your board if you didn't change the password.
  2. this temporary user has not been fully set up (e.g. it is not a member of the "Registered users" group, so it won't have normal access to your forums).
To remove the account you will first need to remove ???founder??? status from it: ACP > USERS AND GROUPS tab > Manage Users > Admin1 > Overview > Founder = No
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

whatsupyou

Post by whatsupyou » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:13 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:46 pm
Cookies look OK. Here you go:

In phpMyAdmin, run the following, which will create an admin user named Admin1 with a password of admin. From that point you should be able to get into the ACP.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (user_type, group_id, username, username_clean, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, user_lang, user_style, user_rank, user_colour, user_posts, user_permissions, user_ip, user_birthday, user_lastpage, user_last_confirm_key, user_post_sortby_type, user_post_sortby_dir, user_topic_sortby_type, user_topic_sortby_dir, user_avatar, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_jabber, user_actkey, user_newpasswd) VALUES (3, 5, 'Admin1', 'admin1', 0, '21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3', 'admin@example.com', 'en', 1, 1, 'AA0000', 1, '', '', '', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '', '', '', '', '', '');
Change your table prefix if it is not phpbb_

See Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin if you are unfamiliar with running database queries.

As soon as you have done this, use the temporary admin account to change the details on the original admin account, then delete the temporary account.
This is because:
  1. anyone could use that account to log in to your board if you didn't change the password.
  2. this temporary user has not been fully set up (e.g. it is not a member of the "Registered users" group, so it won't have normal access to your forums).
To remove the account you will first need to remove ???founder??? status from it: ACP > USERS AND GROUPS tab > Manage Users > Admin1 > Overview > Founder = No
It doesn't seem to be working. I copied the code exactly and pasted into the SQL and used username Admin1 and password admin, I just return to the same login.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:25 pm

I can login on your board so everything is working.

Try a other browser.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

whatsupyou

Post by whatsupyou » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:57 pm

Yes finally it's working! Thank you everybody!

slickadam

Post by slickadam » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:56 am

same thing just happend to me. 3.2.2. manually installed. the temporary admin account solution worked perfectly.
but do we know the cause of this login issue?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:03 am

There seems to be some anecdotal evidence that the problems are mainly with Chrome and not other browsers.
Cheap UK Hosting

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”