[ABD] Topic'it

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: [3.1][3.2][RC] Topic'it

Post by Brf »

Topic'it wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:28 am
For the moment, we manage a short list of BBCode codes:
  • IMG
  • URL
  • B
  • I
  • YOUTUBE
Moreover, we are implementing the BBCodes codes CODE and SPOILER and the management of "BBCode in BBCode"
phpBB does not have a "YOUTUBE" or "SPOILER" bbcodes. How are you planning on implementing those? Will your display be broken if the post has LIST or custom bbcodes?
Ger

Post by Ger »

Bryx wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:59 pm @Ger, Topic'it is two times better than Tapatalk.
Don't get me started about tapatalk. Even my 4 year old son could make something better than that so to speak. So two times better still ain't no good ;)

Besides that; a quick scan of Topic'it's code simply doesn't gives me the confidence I need to make sure my users are safe.
Not only the use of mcrypt, but also that everything seems to happen over plain HTTP. The TIConnect class for instance has a default http protocol and that default is nowhere being overwritten. So you might have your board perfectly fine setup, use SSL on your board, you users trust you, and than your PM's are vulnerable to any MITM. Nice one.

With such easily spotted flaws in a commercial product, I expect there are many more. I'm not a security auditor, just a software engineer knowing the industry standard.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
Topic'it
Name: Cédric

Post by Topic'it »

@Ger, Topic'it is two times better than Tapatalk.
Keep in mind that the app is still very young and needs improvements :oops: ! We offer weekly updates based on the priorities of forum owners and members. For example, we received a lot of feedback regarding the BBCode SPOILER and CODE tags and these improvements will be online next week.

I will add the list of verified phpBB extensions on https://topicit.net/fr/plugins/phpbb this week. Of course, we will add new verified extensions in the coming weeks. But for now, we will focus on phpBB-related requirements (directly in the folder of the extension, the TIEncryption...).

I thank you for your help and your feedback, both positive and negative. I'll let you know as soon as the plugin meets the requirements to be published :D
Last edited by Topic'it on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic'it

Post by Topic'it »

Hello,
phpBB does not have a "YOUTUBE" or "SPOILER" bbcodes. How are you planning on implementing those? Will your display be broken if the post has LIST or custom bbcodes?
  • About the YOUTUBE BBCode, we propose a tutorial in the FAQ to explain how to add it (How to embed a YouTube video in a phpBB 3.1 or 3.2 forum?).
  • We will add the tutorial for "SPOILER" too (we're waiting for the interpretation of this BBCode tag in the app).
  • If you don't add them in your forum settings, you will see in the post [spoiler]My content[/spoiler] for instance.

About the BBCodes which are not supported by Topic'it for the moment, we clean the code displayed in the App regarding the most popular tags. I think we will manage / render all the popular BBCodes in Topic'it in March. For instance for the BBCode LIST, you will have:

Web side:
  • About the YOUTUBE BBCode, we propose a tutorial in the FAQ to explain how to add it (How to embed a YouTube video in a phpBB 3.1 or 3.2 forum?).
  • We will add the tutorial for "SPOILER" too (we're waiting for the interpretation of this BBCode tag in the app).
  • If you don't add them in your forum settings, you will see in the post [spoiler]My content[/spoiler] for instance.

App side:

About the YOUTUBE BBCode, we propose a tutorial in the FAQ to explain how to add it (How to embed a YouTube video in a phpBB 3.1 or 3.2 forum?).
We will add the tutorial for "SPOILER" too (we're waiting for the interpretation of this BBCode tag in the app).
If you don't add them in your forum settings, you will see in the post [spoiler]My content[/spoiler] for instance.

For custom BBCodes, the tags [yourcustombbcodes] will be displayed in the app content because we can't manage them ;)
Last edited by Topic'it on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ger

Post by Ger »

Topic'it wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:39 pm About the BBCodes which are not supported by Topic'it for the moment, we clean the code displayed in the App regarding the most popular tags. I think we will manage / render all the popular BBCodes in Topic'it in March. For instance for the BBCode LIST, you will have:

---snip---

For custom BBCodes, the tags [custombbcodes] will be displayed in the app content because we can't manage them ;)
In what world is that better?
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.

Topic'it

Post by Topic'it »

Sorry Ger, I don't understand your last post.
Ger

Post by Ger »

You stated earlier that Topic'it is beneficial for forum members, implying it's better. Yet the members using this will have a worse experience if BBcodes aren't fully supported. Hence my question: in what world (way) is Topic'it better than just using responsive websites offering all the features needed?

The way I see it, Topic'it only does 1 thing default phpBB cannot offer at the moment: sending push notifications. An extension for that has been abandoned. But default phpBB does offer complete content, something that IMO is WAY more important since forums are about their content.
My extensions:

SiteSplat

Post by SiteSplat »

Ger wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 pm
Bryx wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:59 pm @Ger, Topic'it is two times better than Tapatalk.
Don't get me started about tapatalk. Even my 4 year old son could make something better than that so to speak. So two times better still ain't no good ;)

LOL :lol: I couldn't have said it better... and YET, why are people are so obsessed with taptalk???

PS: I like your projects, feed post bot and live topic ext. Great stuff :)

Dave
- FLATBOOTS - phpBB 3.3 Flat Design - Bootstrap Framework
- Deploy an SSD cloud server in 55s. Sign up and get 2 months free.
- phpBB Community & Premium Themes & Premium Extensions
- Contact me Via PM or e-mail for Custom phpBB work and Web Development needs
🎨phpBB Professional Premium Themes🔥
Topic'it

Post by Topic'it »

Yes we don't manage all the BBCodes right now. Only the list shared above for the moment. And yes the work is in progress to manage all the popular BBcodes in the next weeks. Sorry I don't see the issue here and I said later:
Keep in mind that the app is still very young and needs improvements :oops: !
Topic'it is not better than responsive websites and it's not the purpose of the App :roll: ... I told you it's an additional way to browse, participate and follow forums. The idea is to offer members the most suitable solution for their use. If some mobile users prefer the app version and participate more on the forum thanks to Topic'it (via push for instance), what is the problem for the founder of the forum?

Some mobile users prefer the App version, others the responsive website. You can ask your community if they use the Facebook or Twitter mobile website or the app for instance. The goal is clearly not to replace the website. Just to propose an additional solution to the members.

Some members find the access to the forums easier than on a classic web browser. And maybe your members participe to several forums, not just your forum. If these forums are on Topic'it, he can follow, discuss, be alerted and stay connected on his forums in a single app.
Niko!

Post by Niko! »

Hello,

I must add, as a loyal member of topic’it, that more than being another option to browse my forum, it allows to follow multiple forums at once.

I deeply prefer the mobile version of everything, but most of all, having the possibility to use all my forums in one place and staying updated of everything from one source... is amazing!

Indeed the app has to be improved, but so far... it offers an amazing service. As already said, it is a choice to use an app or not.
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

Edit: Deleted, I thought you are offering the ability to create a custom app per forum.
Now I see it is a "general" app that access multiple forums.
Not relevant for me.
david63

Post by david63 »

What is starting to concern me about this is that it is not a replica of a phpBB board but an app that uses the database and some of the core code. If I want to have the option of my users being able to use an app (which in principle I do not have a problem with) then I want them to see the same board that they would see on any other device and I would want the board to interact in the same way.

If I have spent many hours creating an extension that I believe improves the user experience then I do not want to be told that it is not compatible with this app. The app must be capable of running all phpBB extensions - especially those that have been approved. The same applies to styles.

This app, in its current state, is so far removed from phpBB that I cannot see it being used by many boards.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
fliper4o

Post by fliper4o »

Topic'it wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:19 amTopic'it - Mobile Forum App for phpBB
Is it made for a commercial purpose !?
'Cuz for me it's sounds like one of those useless apps that offers you some/same functions that can easily be done by it's original & primary gadget.
Like for example Flashlight apps each better then the other lol...but man my phone already got a flashlight.
Hey guys, srsly why don't you focus your efforts or something new and useful instead.
SiteSplat wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:08 pm
Ger wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 pm

LOL :lol: I couldn't have said it better... and YET, why are people are so obsessed with taptalk???

Dave
I laughed my ass off :lol:
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: [ABD] Topic'it

Post by Paul »

This topic has been marked as [ABD] - Abandoned as the extension author has not been active recently. If the extension author wishes to continue development, please PM anyone on the Extension Customisations Team to request this topic be unlocked.

Notice!
We do not recommend that a user of the phpBB software install this extension, or any other extension that is marked as "abandoned" or "in development", on a live forum. Doing so may cause your forum to not perform in the manner it should.

Thank you,
The phpBB Extension Customisations Team

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”