Image Uploader Extension for "not so tech savvy" PHPBB 3.2 branch

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Get Involved
menz01

Image Uploader Extension for "not so tech savvy" PHPBB 3.2 branch

Post by menz01 »

I would like to request an extension, and if something similar already exists please point me to it.

On my board i have a lot of users that are not tech savvy at all. also 98%, perhaps even more, only use their mobile phones to access the forums. very few users use a PC to connect. My users have the worst trouble uploading a picture to a post. Explaining to them how to use the attachments at the bottom of a post i can do, the problem lies when the picture they are trying to upload fails to attach. On your phone it is very hard to see the little yellow alert icon that it failed. Even i who know what i am doing (for the most part)have had images fail but i know how to look for the issue and fix it. Most of the time its a .jpg (sometimes a.png) that is not reporting its file dimensions correctly. sometimes its a .jpg that has invalied EXIF (i think) data. Sometimes i have to resize or change the image's file type to get things to upload and i do not have any restrictions set. most of my users dont know how or will be unwilling to do all that work to get a pic to upload even if they knew that was the reason which most dont know that either.

With that background info in place, what i am looking for is an extension that can allow users to upload any image they took on their phones to a post and this extension needs to be able to do all the work for them to make that picture valid for posting. it sounds like an impossible extension with all the work it needs to do, but i thought for the sake of me and my users i would ask.

thanks in advance
Mike
nou nou

Re: Image Uploader Extension for "not so tech savvy" PHPBB 3.2 branch

Post by nou nou »

If you wouldn't mind going through Imgur, have you taken a look at this? https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/imgur/

Works a treat and is really very simple to use.
menz01

Post by menz01 »

i do not want images hosted elsewhere but thank you for the reply
fagbutlil
I've Been Banned!

Post by fagbutlil »

You host the images with this ext https://www.dmzx-web.net/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2464
menz01

Post by menz01 »

fagbutlil wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:17 pm You host the images with this ext https://www.dmzx-web.net/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2464
definitely worth considering but stiill alot of steps for my user to post the pics. believe me when i say 99% of my users are accessing this with their phones and most of them dont spend much time online other than facebook. That they have no problem uploading pics to.

what is it about facebook that will accept any picture you throw at it (or at least most every pic) but the forums can be so particular?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

I don't know how it will work with mobile devices (I neither own nor know how to use one) but you can 'drag and drop' images into the reply box and they will be added as an attachment
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I think you might be surprised at how tech savy your members are.

if they know how to use a smart phone at all, they are certainly tech savy enough to know how to attach an image to a post.
as the only saying goes; " It aint rocket science."
I do this for a living and I can't figure out how to use a smart phone. well, actually it is the OS of the smart phones that make me crazy.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
fagbutlil
I've Been Banned!

Post by fagbutlil »

if they cant click on upload then click the word copy and then hold the screen for the paste option to show then maybe you need a new class of members :lol:
menz01

Post by menz01 »

fagbutlil wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:16 pm if they cant click on upload then click the word copy and then hold the screen for the paste option to show then maybe you need a new class of members :lol:
honestly... it has less to do with the process but more to do with the platform. Let me explain, even with me being little more tech savvy than my users, i have run into issues. so for example. i take a pic at an event with my phone. i open facebook on my phone (browser or app doesn't matter) and i create post and i upload the pic and it uploads without issue. now i go and open my PHPbb forums and i create a post, i click the attachments tab, i click add files, i choose the exact same pic, i watch the progress bar while it uploads and at the end, more often than not, i get a little yellow triangle and the file cannot be attached. Like i said it is the exact same pic i uploaded to facebook.

since i am more familiar with issues and errors than my users i tap the yellow triangle and get some error for why it can't be uploaded. most of the time i see an error about not being able to determine the size dimensions (yet i can see file dimensions when i examine the pic closer in another app), other times its an error about EXIF data or something. i am sorry i forget the exact word for word errors, but my point is when i see that i go an edit the pic and resave and i am able to upload it. My users will not know to tap the triangle or even look for it and they certainly won't know how to edit it (i had to make a how to just so they could upload their avatars). so why is the same pic able to be uploaded to facebook without issue?

thanks again for the replies, i hope this explains it better that my users are not completely lost, they do know how to follow the upload procedure, its just the board will not accept the pic as easy as facebook does
fagbutlil
I've Been Banned!

Post by fagbutlil »

Sound to me you need to adjust the Attachment settings in acp make file size's larger and enable format types.
menz01

Post by menz01 »

fagbutlil wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:57 pm Sound to me you need to adjust the Attachment settings in acp make file size's larger and enable format types.
i dont have any restrictions set that would cause these issue (i believe)... maybe i am wrong?

any suggestions?

Return to “Extension Requests”