[Split] Discuss: phpBB 3.2.3 Release (update problems)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Bram van Munster

[Split] Discuss: phpBB 3.2.3 Release (update problems)

Post by Bram van Munster » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:58 am

I can't get my board to update, at all...

What I did was: upload the install and vendor files, go to the forum and go to the update tab, as instructed. In the update description, it says I can choose whether or not I want to use the automatic or manual updates, but all I got was a update-button. Sounds about right, right?

Wrong, after you click it, the system waits for about half a minute, after which I get this time out message:
The installer detected a timeout
The installer has detected a timeout, you may try to refresh the page, which may lead to data corruption. We suggest that you either increase your timeout settings or try to use the CLI.

I have retried uploading the files a few times, have absolutely no idea how to make my board to keep waiting for the install to finish, and let's be honest, are there more than 5 people on this board that know what a CLI is?

Of course I took the install folder down again, so I can use my forum, and the visitors as well.
Basically, all I got was a changed footer which shows less than half of what should be there and a load of things I don't wanna see:

<<<<<<< CURRENT_FILE
Even though your browser uses cookies to make this site work properly, we're not storing or sharing any info that might lead back to you. If you're concerned, delete the cookies before leaving the site.

Administration Control Panel
======= DIFF_SEP_EXPLAIN
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited

Premium addons by SiteSplat
PRIVACY_LINK | TERMS_LINK

Administration Control Panel

>>>>>>> NEW_FILE

I hope there's someone out there that knows a lot more about this type of error messages and how to resolve them.
Before we're talking about the .htaccess file on the server: that only makes sure the entire domain loads in https, has no other functions, unless there's another one hiding somewhere especially for the forum. I did see some hints about write-rights, but after tinkering with those for a good while (such as making the whole forum, every file :shock: 777 and back again) that didn't do the trick either.

Can anyone help me get that nasty red warning bar out of my ACP? :?:
Last edited by Mick on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2485646

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: [Split] Discuss: phpBB 3.2.3 Release (update problems)

Post by Mick » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:52 am

Did you try Knowledge Base - Updating 3.2.x? You need to update your style too, how does it look in prosilver?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:23 am

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.

Also, in your /store folder there will be a file called migrations_(some digits).log. Change the extension to .txt and attach it to your response.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

Bram van Munster

Post by Bram van Munster » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:30 am

Hey guys,

1st of all, thanks for the reply!

Well... Several things went horribly wrong here, and most of them are explainable.

As suggested, I went here and started to delete the files from the new download as I was "told" to.
Then, I deleted /vendor and /cache from the server, and that's when trouble started.
First of all, of course, I went back to the site, and got the dreaded 'error 500' (site can't process this request right now) so my heart stopped for a while.
After the paramedics left, I realized I did not yet upload the new(er) files, so I got to work. In my local files - I use Dreamweaver - I copied the new file set and started to upload, hoping the "board is closed" announcement would appear as soon as the Install folder would be in place.
Nope, still that error 500.
After several minutes of despair, I noticed Dreamweaver was still uploading, so I gave it some more time.
I ran out of coffee pretty quick, so got back at the keyboard nervously.
By now, I could get to the installer site, clicked 'update' as suggested and apparently wasted my time.

The installer detected a timeout
The installer has detected a timeout, you may try to refresh the page, which may lead to data corruption. We suggest that you either increase your timeout settings or try to use the CLI.

The message appeared again, so I think it's about time to crawl into a fetal position, cry some more and hope I did not waste 3 weeks of work setting up the forum in version 3.2.2 as now my entire forum is GONE, apparently including the contents, all posts and the style. :o :shock:

Migrations is attached as requested
Attachments
migrations_1536911700.txt
(3.99 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

invenio

Post by invenio » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:53 am

If I were you I would restore the forum from backups and then go through the upgrade guide again. But this time follow each step and don't start the next step until the previous one is completed.

Bram van Munster

Post by Bram van Munster » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Yeah I tried that a few times now, soooo I am either going to revert back to 3.2.2 and stay there, or cut my losses, reinstall 3.2.3 and start from scratch...

What ever the result, I am not happy about this progress, as it is simply not working. The best description of my current mood would be <place censored word here> but I'll go with 'disgruntled' instead.

**image removed**
Last edited by JimA on Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessarily big image

Lady_G

Post by Lady_G » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:41 pm

My mistake, I thought this was a general update discussion.

I have moved my post into a new topic. See: Update from phpBB 3.2.2 to 3.2.3 - database does not go offline

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:23 am
Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.

Also, in your /store folder there will be a file called migrations_(some digits).log. Change the extension to .txt and attach it to your response.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

Bram van Munster

Post by Bram van Munster » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:37 am

I have created a "shadow forum" that runs aside my live forum, but so far, I am still unable to upgrade the live forum from 3.2.2 to 3.2.3.
Last night, I started to wonder if this can be because I have the forum installed 3 layers deep, or the face that I have changed quite a few files.
After all, the installer does say it will change a few files (duhhh), but seems to run stuck on the changed files in Styles and layout of the forum.

Thoughts are appreciated :geek:

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:57 am

you are supposed to be replacing all of the old files with new ones except for the ones mentioned in the instructions.

if you are still trying to use the auto update method then that is going to be your problem.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”