how to remove Board index text from home title

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
jonhcarter

how to remove Board index text from home title

Post by jonhcarter »

Hello,

i want to remove Board index text from home title. in Board settings > Board index text i'm using "forums" word.

now my title is for example jonh real estate - real estate forum - forums

i want to remove "forums" from the title. i don't want to change "forums" to any other word. simply i don't want it to in title. please help.

thanks in advance
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: how to remove Board index text from home title

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

download and open your style/template/overall_header.html

find:

Code: Select all

<title><!-- IF UNREAD_NOTIFICATIONS_COUNT -->({UNREAD_NOTIFICATIONS_COUNT}) <!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF not S_VIEWTOPIC and not S_VIEWFORUM -->{SITENAME} - <!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF S_IN_MCP -->{L_MCP} - <!-- ELSEIF S_IN_UCP -->{L_UCP} - <!-- ENDIF -->{PAGE_TITLE}<!-- IF S_VIEWTOPIC or S_VIEWFORUM --> - {SITENAME}<!-- ENDIF --></title>
replace with:

<title><!-- IF UNREAD_NOTIFICATIONS_COUNT -->({UNREAD_NOTIFICATIONS_COUNT}) <!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF not S_VIEWTOPIC and not S_VIEWFORUM -->{SITENAME} &nbsp; <!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF S_IN_MCP -->{L_MCP} - <!-- ELSEIF S_IN_UCP -->{L_UCP} - <!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF S_VIEWTOPIC or S_VIEWFORUM --> {SITENAME}<!-- ENDIF --></title>
save/upload back to server.

purge the cache.

test.

rob ert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
jonhcarter

Post by jonhcarter »

its works, but it remove fourm / post title also. i want to remove only from home/index page.
Restless Rancor

Post by Restless Rancor »

jonhcarter wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:30 pm
its works, but it remove fourm / post title also. i want to remove only from home/index page.
Hi, how about this?

<title><!-- IF UNREAD_NOTIFICATIONS_COUNT -->({UNREAD_NOTIFICATIONS_COUNT}) <!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF not S_VIEWTOPIC and not S_VIEWFORUM -->{SITENAME}<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF S_IN_MCP --> - {L_MCP} - {PAGE_TITLE}<!-- ELSEIF S_IN_UCP --> - {L_UCP} - {PAGE_TITLE}<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF S_VIEWTOPIC or S_VIEWFORUM -->{PAGE_TITLE} - {SITENAME}<!-- ENDIF --></title>
These aren't the droids you're looking for...
jonhcarter

Post by jonhcarter »

Restless Rancor wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:05 pm
jonhcarter wrote:
Hi, how about this?

<title><!-- IF UNREAD_NOTIFICATIONS_COUNT -->({UNREAD_NOTIFICATIONS_COUNT}) <!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF not S_VIEWTOPIC and not S_VIEWFORUM -->{SITENAME}<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF S_IN_MCP --> - {L_MCP} - {PAGE_TITLE}<!-- ELSEIF S_IN_UCP --> - {L_UCP} - {PAGE_TITLE}<!-- ENDIF --><!-- IF S_VIEWTOPIC or S_VIEWFORUM -->{PAGE_TITLE} - {SITENAME}<!-- ENDIF --></title>
thank you very much. i appreciate your efforts. its working very well.
Restless Rancor

Post by Restless Rancor »

No problem :)
These aren't the droids you're looking for...
michaellanfield
Name: Michael Lanfield

Post by michaellanfield »

Restless Rancor wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:05 pm
jonhcarter wrote:
Hi, how about this?

Hi. Thanks for the help, as I am trying to accomplish this too. I tried by changing the code and I get either a blank page (in Firefox) or in Chome I get the following error.

This page isn’t working
peaceful-village.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500
https://www.weareinterconnected.com
Michael Lanfield - author and vegan advocate
EA117

Post by EA117 »

michaellanfield wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:32 pm
This page isn’t working
peaceful-village.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500
The HTTP 500 status you are seeing is unrelated to the change that was attempted for the page title. What I currently see in your https://peaceful-village.com/forum/styles/flat-style/template/overall_header.html template file regarding the page title is correct, and should work once the other remaining issues are resolved:

Since discussing it here won't help advance the page title discussion, I'll discuss the remaining issues in the other existing thread.
michaellanfield

Yes, thanks EA117. I will see you there.
michaellanfield

It is fixed now. Thank you all for the help once again.
michaellanfield

michaellanfield wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:43 am
It is fixed now. Thank you all for the help once again.
Two issues still. Even though the Index page is removed from the text from the browser tab, it is showing up when I post the link to Facebook. The banner is sometimes there, sometimes not, just Index page and the sub title I have there. Also when the banner does show up, it is showing only part of it, not the whole thiing How do I get the name of my site World Vegan Community to show up with the sub title of my site on the bottom and my banner to show up every time? Here is screenshot for example.

Screenshot_20200428-230110.jpg
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

That is from this:

<meta property="og:title" content="Index page">
EA117

Post by EA117 »

The Open Graph meta tags in your page still cites "Index page" as the page title:

<meta property="og:locale" content="en_GB">
<meta property="og:site_name" content="World Vegan Community">
<meta property="og:url" content="https://peaceful-village.com/forum/">
<meta property="og:type" content="website">
<meta property="og:description" content="The foundation for building ethical, ecologically sustainable communities.">
phpBB on it's own doesn't do that, so presumably you have an extension adding that information to your pages. If you can't already see any way to override or make an exception for the index page to cite a title you prefer, maybe let us know what the extension is so we can look. Or perhaps ask in the support area specific to that extension, in case other users of that extension have previously solved similar concerns.
michaellanfield

EA117 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:29 pm
The Open Graph meta tags in your page still cites "Index page" as the page title:

<meta property="og:locale" content="en_GB">
<meta property="og:site_name" content="World Vegan Community">
<meta property="og:url" content="https://peaceful-village.com/forum/">
<meta property="og:type" content="website">
<meta property="og:description" content="The foundation for building ethical, ecologically sustainable communities.">
phpBB on it's own doesn't do that, so presumably you have an extension adding that information to your pages. If you can't already see any way to override or make an exception for the index page to cite a title you prefer, maybe let us know what the extension is so we can look. Or perhaps ask in the support area specific to that extension, in case other users of that extension have previously solved similar concerns.
I am not sure which extension would be causing this, but I have these installed.

Advanced BBCode Box 3.2.2
Advertisement Management 2.0.3
Header Banner 3.2.2
SEO Metadata 1.3.0
VigLink

How to change the title/sub title manually?
EA117

Post by EA117 »

michaellanfield wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:45 pm
SEO Metadata 1.3.0
I see it's been asked before in the extension-specific support area, but for justifiable reasons, the author declined to make the extension provide for those kinds of overrides.

So the solution is likely going to invoke making some custom changes to that extension, so that the Open Graph data doesn't get rendered into the header that way specifically for just the index page.

edit:

Actually, after looking at this for a bit, the information that phpBB is making available to the extension actually should have honored whatever you had configured in the phpBB ACP Board Settings "Board index text:". For example, back when you had this configured to show the word "forums", it looks like the Open Graph title tag should have also been showing "forums".

Since you've done the work to make the actual index page name not show in the HTML <title> value at all, might you be able to set your phpBB ACP Board Settings "Board index text:" to whatever it is you would like to see show up in the <meta property="og:title"> data? Or is it already set that way, and the extension seems to be using "Index page" anyway for some other reason?

The way I read the code, it would be showing "Index page" because either your phpBB ACP Board Settings "Board index text:" configuration is now blank, or because it's set to explicitly to the words "Index page".

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”