Open links in new tab

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
I've Been Banned!

Open links in new tab

Post by 2600 »

I use an extension by that name. Why can't this site use it because it's a real PITA every time I click a link it opens in the same tab and I then have to use the back button. So when I'm at this site, and only this site I have to remember to middle mouse button the link to open in a new tab. Damn near every site I've come across opens a link in a new tab. Why this website can't do that is asinine.
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Re: Open links in new tab

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

I found this Firefox Addon: (not tested it)
https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/a ... h-new-tab/
And chrome: (not tested it)
https://www.guidingtech.com/open-all-li ... bs-chrome/
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I don’t get how it’s a problem. Right click select has been there forever for that purpose. What would happen if you had users who didn’t want links opening a fresh tab, request an extension for them? Now that’s asinine.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
</Solidjeuh>

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Mick wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:04 am What would happen if you had users who didn’t want links opening a fresh tab, request an extension for them? Now that’s asinine.
It can be disabled via UCP
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Hmmm ok :D

Surely it would be better left as default (the correct way IMO) and have the option to enable it in the UCP if required by the individual?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

I'm talking about this board and how it doesn't open links in a new tab.
david63

Post by david63 »

John connor wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:22 am I'm talking about this board and how it doesn't open links in a new tab.
It's not just this board but all phpBB boards.

If I am not mistaken phpBB 2 did open all links in a new window (tabs had not been "invented" back then). Because having multiple windows open was a pita, as well as a drain on limited resources, the "best working practice" at the time was to open links in the same window. Now that tabs are around then the need is perhaps not so great and the current "best practice" is, I believe, to open links to the same site in the same tab, as it makes more sense for navigation, and to open external links in a new tab/window.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

until just a few years ago, the standard was to open all links in a new window. the w3c decided that it was not right and changed the standard to open all links in the same tab/window.
I never agreed with this but have learned to just use the right click or rather to set the middle scroll wheel button to open links in a new windew.

personally, I don't like tabs and rarely use them. I am aware that I am an old fuddy and don't like change.

robert
</Solidjeuh>

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Why not just install the ext, and let users decide? All internal links will still open in the same tab. All external will open in a new window. And it can be enabled/disabled via UCP.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ew_window/
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:59 pm personally, I don't like tabs and rarely use them.
I find it quite annoying when you click on a link in a forum and then end up on another page. If you want to return to the forum, you click on back in your browser - but you can't even click 10 times from this page.
Unfortunately there are more and more pages, of which there is only one back with close of the browser.
Therefore in my forums only with Ext - Links open allways in a new Window (But it may be that for members with mobile phones this is not such a hit. I'm already too old to be a mobile phone freak :lol: ).
david63

Post by david63 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:59 pm I don't like tabs and rarely use them. I am aware that I am an old fuddy and don't like change.
One day Robert you will have to consider joining the 20th Century - perhaps the 21st is just a step too far :D :D :D
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

david63 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:46 pm
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:59 pm I don't like tabs and rarely use them. I am aware that I am an old fuddy and don't like change.
One day Robert you will have to consider joining the 20th Century - perhaps the 21st is just a step too far :D :D :D
ahh gee wiz, do I have to?

robert
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Is there a thumbsup extension this site can use? :lol: :D
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:23 am
ahh gee wiz, do I have to?

robert
I've actually read posts on other sites with users saying they had close to 30 or more tabs open at a time. I was like, WTH?! At most I have maybe 5 tabs open at a time and that's not all that often. And I rarely use another Window. I used to when Firefox never had tabs long, long ago. My main browser now though is Pale Moon. Firefox took a dive many years ago and I refuse to use it. Though, I keep a plain vanilla version installed in case I need it. I even have portable Chrome.
david63

Post by david63 »

John connor wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:23 am I've actually read posts on other sites with users saying they had close to 30 or more tabs open at a time
That all - I have 160 at the minute!

Return to “General Discussion”