I get this when i post????

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Terror watch

I get this when i post????

Post by Terror watch »

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : /forum/includes/emailer.php

I get that come up instead of, Thank you for posting. The message still goes through but its just a big bitch all the time seeing that as a general error as it claims to be...

Any help in how to get rid of this...
Terror watch

Post by Terror watch »

Any help?
Luckenbach

Post by Luckenbach »

I've been struggling with this for the last two days, and while this doesn't "fix" anything, it does improve on the dreaded error message. Users cannot email each other because they get this error, so I disabled User email via board in Configuation. I also set enable account activation to None (they can still register apparantly).

But, when they registered they would still get this error message and think their registration failed, and leave of course even though their registration worked and all they needed to do was to log in.

Failed sending email :: PHP ::
DEBUG MODE
Line : 234
File : /phpbbmyadmin/includes/emailer.php

After searching this board and finding no answer, I contacted my host Yahoo (business professional). They informed me I should not use SMTP (which gave a different error message), but should leave SMTP turned off in Configuration. Of course this did not help. Then they wanted more info so they could look into the problem, I haven't heard back yet, but I don't think it's a problem at Yahoo because it seems a lot of people are having the problem and I doubt they are all on Yahoo.

I found a little php script on this board, forget who posted it, to test the php emailer function. Just make a minimal php file and put this in the body, be sure to put your correct email address in.

<?
$to = "put your email address here";
$subject = "test mail";
$body = "Email Works";
mail($to, $subject, $body);
?>

By executing this file, I verified that the mail function works, as I received the email. Didn't solve the problem, but it may help someone.

SO, to make my board at least functional until someone figures out what's going on, I did this:

In the includes directory, first I copied emailer.php to BACKUPemailer.php (so I can replace it later)
In emailer.php I found line 234, which looks like so,

{
message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'Failed sending email :: ' . (($this->use_smtp) ? 'SMTP' : 'PHP') . ' :: ' . $result, '', __LINE__, __FILE__);
}

I changed it to

{
message_die(GENERAL_ERROR, 'SUCCESS, Click on Forum Index to log on and/or continue');
}

Users now get the message "SUCCESS, Click on Forum Index to log on and/or continue" instead of the error message. Of course they're going to get this anytime phpbb tries to send an email, but it's a little better than the Failed sending email message, and they can just click on Forum Index to continue on the board. Now I don't know PHP yet, but message_die() looks like a function, and what I replaced perhaps is parameters to pass to or from the function. It doesn't correct the problem, just makes the error message look better so the user doesn't get confused and leave.

For my board to really work as planned, I need the emailer to be able to send email, so I hope someone finds a solution to the problem and posts it here. If you search for Line 234 emailer.php you will find lot's of posts about this problem, and some solutions, although I haven't found anything to fix the exact problem that I'm having you may find the solution to yours.

In the meantime I'm trying to learn PHP so I can hopefully figure out the problem myself. This is not easy, what with the complexity of phpbb and the way it calls functions and uses includes which are scattered through various files, but I bet I can fix it in a year or two, lol. Hope someone posts the solution to this soon, many people have this problem, seems to be a error in phpbb as my emailer is working.
Terror watch

Post by Terror watch »

Thanks for that, its when they post it errors but only sometimes. Sometimes it goes through right, but they do post and it always goes through..... Werid, i wish i could contact my yahoo hostings but because i live in the UK it seems they dont want to know our problems even though they take money off me. THEY SUCK!
CTCNetwork
Former Team Member

Post by CTCNetwork »

Hi,

The message relates to your host not allowing, or having configured the PHP Mail function. Check with you host on this one.

You are only getting on some topics because only some of your topics have someone watching it, hence the email when posting.

Hope this helps,

Des. . . :wink:
Density:- Not just a measurement~Its a whole way of Life.! ! !
| Welcome! | RTFM!!! | Search! It's Easy! | Problem? | Spam? | Advice! |
Luckenbach

Post by Luckenbach »

Hi Terror,

contact Yahoo php support at wh-php@yahoo-inc.com

Hope they get their act together, I have business professional and they tell me this today,
Dear Yahoo! Customer,

Thank you for contacting us.

Please note by default, the email link in the post is using 'mailto' tag
which will bring up visitor's own email client. Yahoo! Web Hosting
currently does not allow open relaying, so user won't be able to use
internal PHP mail function to send email to each others.
Please do not hesitate to reply if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Yahoo! Customer Care

woe is me
Terror watch

Post by Terror watch »

Yahoo are so shit sometimes they only want your money and if something goes wrong they just fuck you off.
Luckenbach

Post by Luckenbach »

Hi Terror,

I found a solution for Yahoo, at least it's good enough for me. Users can email each other using their own email, and the board can email users. See what I found on this post,
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=252497
Terror watch

Post by Terror watch »

Hey you been a great help thanks bud!
ryndog

Post by ryndog »

Here some more info.

I was bulding a second site and ran into this error, which was strange because everything worked great on my original site. Everything was exactly the same on my new site, just the new phpbb was in a different subfolder. Here is what I found.

I had my main account (ADMIN) email set as: admin@clanhood.com

that account did NOT exist. I changed it to ryndog@clanhood.com and the eror went away.

Also make sure your boards default email is correct.

Test that out.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”