3.2.7 to 3.2.8 successful, couple of funnies though

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
chanlon1

3.2.7 to 3.2.8 successful, couple of funnies though

Post by chanlon1 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Upgraded from 3.2.7 to 3.2.8.
Used the normal Full Package option and followed the instructions here, everything went fine, files copied over and the database updater said it was 100%.
I then deleted the install folder, logged in and went to the ACP.
It said that the upgrade was incomplete and said it was still 3.2.7?
I recopied the install folder back in again and reran the updater. Again 100% okay.
Back into the ACP and everything was good now.

Not sure what happened.

After that, I then started to re-enable some extensions. I re-enable each and test...everything good until I reach phpbb's own Board Rules.
After re-enabling, I go out to the main index and I get a blank screen...nothing.
I page back and manage to get the ACP again, and disable it.
Back out to the main index and everything is fine.

I keep redoing this and the same happens each time.

Eventually I just copied a fresh download of the rules code into the Ext folder, enabled them and all was okay.

Again not sure what happened.

Other than that, all went good.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: 3.27 to 3.2.8 successful, couple of funnies though

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:49 pm

sounds like the rules extension needed updating with the new phpbb version.

did you check all the other extensions to see if they have updated versions available?
if so, you should go ahead and update them now.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:04 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:49 pm
sounds like the rules extension needed updating with the new phpbb version.

did you check all the other extensions to see if they have updated versions available?
if so, you should go ahead and update them now.

robert
I did a version check of them before upgrading and the ACP showed them to be all up to date.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:31 am

There are two things I do before I commit to an update. Actually three.

1) I use a domain for testing a clone of my current forum. That is my testing ground for updates and extensions, etc. That domain has an htaccess file that only allows my IP address so everything else is 403ed.

2) I make lots and lots of backups. Especially before I update. My public_html folder and database file are encrypted with first an SFX archive and then in a Truecrypt container with a cascade of ciphers of AES, Twofish and Serpent. The passwords are all over 30 characters and stored in Keepass who's database is also backed up everywhere. I also use Blu-ray RE to copy my backups to.

and 3) I let all the guinea pigs report in after an update release and wait at least two weeks before I update. This has saved me at least twice when "updates" need an update. I know if everyone did this it would be an issue, but it's how I personally roll.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:36 am

John connor wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:31 am
2) I make lots and lots of backups. Especially before I update. My public_html folder and database file are encrypted with first an SFX archive and then in a Truecrypt container with a cascade of ciphers of AES, Twofish and Serpent. The passwords are all over 30 characters and stored in Keepass who's database is also backed up everywhere. I also use Blu-ray RE to copy my backups to.
What's so sensitive about your site to justify all those measures? secret information about China, Russia, Turkey, N Korea, Donald? 8-)
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:40 am

warmweer wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:36 am
John connor wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:31 am
What's so sensitive about your site to justify all those measures? secret information about China, Russia, Turkey, N Korea, Donald? 8-)
Well, why not? If I can do it and protect the database from exposure then I'll do it. As to the real reason, well that's highly classified above TOP SECRET information and not for public consumption. :geek: :ugeek:

Return to “phpBB Discussion”