Strip metadata from images by default

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
John connor
Name: Aaron

Re: Strip metadata from images by default

Post by John connor »

Thanks for all who thumbed up thus far. Appreciate it.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

KYPREO wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:35 am
3Di wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:26 pm
Is there a ticked opened in the tracker?
Nope. I was intending to do so, but wasn't sure about the policy on tickets for feature requests when they are being discussed in the Ideas forum. Here, the idea now has a +4 rating. Is that enough to justify a ticket? I wouldn't want to spend time on a PR if it's going to be knocked back due to downvotes on here.
Ideas are here to help the development of phpBB, developers volunteer their contributions using these if so they wish or will, go ahead I'd say. ;)

Ref.: https://www.phpbb.com/get-involved/
Get Involved
Development Team
Suggest changes and features

You can suggest changes and/or new features to phpBB to help improve the experience for all users.

Requirements: Creativity and the ability to write well enough to fully describe your suggestion.
How: Create an Idea on our Ideas Center
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
:studio_microphone: Premium extensions @ The Studio

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

3Di wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:42 pm
Ideas are here to help the development of phpBB, developers volunteer their contributions using these if so they wish or will, go ahead I'd say. ;)
Thanks very much. As I posted in the split topic, I will submit a ticket and PR for EXIF by default but configurable by admin. 8-) While I'm at it, I might change the default image quality for plupload from 85% to 90%, which then matches the default recommended by Plupload.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

May I just say, Apple products, as far as I’m aware, have location information turned off by default for the camera. Therefore, if anyone gets spoofed because of that it’s down to them. Android I can’t comment on but would expect them to be the same. I would agree if everybody and his dog are uploading images to your board with location data it could mess things up for you but I’m thinking this should be a server thing. You definitely don’t want a Trojan on your server.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

I now have implemented this feature request on my test board, with 2 new ACP options to allow admins to fully configure the following 2 settings for the Plupload module:
- Strip image metadata
- Quality for image compression

Tested and working perfectly.

See below for ACP page:

strip metadata.PNG
Quality has been changed from 85% default to 90%. 90 is the figure recommended by Plupload itself and my testing equates to roughly 1:1 image size upon upload (although file size is actually smaller once you strip the Exif header).

It requires 2 new entries in the phpbb_config:
img_strip_metadata
img_quality

When I do the PR, I figure I need to amend \install\schemas\schema_data.sql to create these rows.

When I do the same for migrations, it looks like the rows are added through phpbb\db\migration\data\. Am I right that I will need separate PRs for 3.2.x and 3.3.x, each with its own migration (as the change needs to be implemented for those going from 3.2.9 > 3.2.10 and 3.3.0 > 3.3.1)?

The new settings also required new entries in the language files. If you submit a PR with new language entries in English, is it up to other contributors to make corresponding changes for other language packs?
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

You can create the PR against the branch 3.2.x only IMO. Will be merged in case also on 3.3.x by the Devs.

About the language only EN, other languages are up to translators.

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

3Di wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:06 pm
You can create the PR against the branch 3.2.x only IMO. Will be merged in case also on 3.3.x by the Devs.

About the language only EN, other languages are up to translators.
Thanks very much. I was aware you only need to merge against 3.2.x branch for bug fixes but I wasn't sure whether this was different to the PR introducing new database config parameters during install/upgrade/update.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

3Di
Former Team Member

Post by 3Di »

Indeed, if you would like it to be on 3.2 do it that way. I'd go for 3.3.x though. :)
The devs will decide where it should go, if in 3.3 or what not. You will be noticed.

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Thanks again 3Di
Mick wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 pm
May I just say, Apple products, as far as I’m aware, have location information turned off by default for the camera.
Not according to the articles i found, such as this: https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/stop ... s-0190815/

Also default on Android.

And it's not limited to smartphones. Many digital cameras record this too as it helps photographers tag and catalogue where they took particular photos.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

KYPREO wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:49 am
Not according to the articles i found
I’ve had four iPhones, presently a 6, and also have a 5th generation iPad, all had location services for the camera turned off, I didn’t turn it off so it must have been off by default. Ok, my phones were swapped in the shop and all data transferred at that time by a tech which *may* account for all my phones having it turned off but the original one must have been off for that to happen. My iPad was bought from a computer retailer brand new in the box and has never seen a techs finger and location for the camera is also turned off and definitely not by me. The iPhone 6 user manual states “The first time an app tries to access your location, even in the background, it will ask for your permission” so one would assume it’s off by default. Also, according to a neighbour of mine who owns a Canon EOS 6D, gps data is also off by default. I dunno, maybe different countries have different rules, it wouldn’t be the first time.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor »

KYPREO wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:58 pm
I now have implemented this feature request on my test board, with 2 new ACP options to allow admins to fully configure the following 2 settings for the Plupload module:
- Strip image metadata
- Quality for image compression

Tested and working perfectly.
Thank you for doing this PR and hopeful it'll make its way into 3.2.10 or at least 3.3.1.

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

John connor wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:53 am
Thank you for doing this PR and hopeful it'll make its way into 3.2.10 or at least 3.3.1.
You're welcome.

I have submitted a PR for inclusion into 3.2.10 with a view to it also being added 3.3.1. Fingers crossed I did a good job of it and it's accepted.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

Return to “phpBB Ideas”