[Split] noob question on forum backup

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Mulsiphix

Re: noob question on forum backup

Post by Mulsiphix » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:14 pm

HiFiKabin wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:31 pm
Either ask them how to... ... Once you have the correct php version for that one directory the MySQLDumper should install without error.
I just hopped into Cpanel to see if I could set the version of a directory like you mentioned. And I found this bit of information: "The system's default version of PHP is 5.6". So shouldn't the script run? I followed the instructions in "english_install.txt" as well as your guide's. But the installation never starts. Sadly, PHP 7.0 and 7.1 are the only other options.

I don't expect troubleshooting since you aren't related to the script, but it does seem that I am genuinely stuck with the MySQLDumper route :roll:

Mulsiphix wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:08 pm
I am using Shared Hosting, so no root access. I figured this option was out for me. However, that comment was made 2+ years ago. Perhaps the software requirements have changed. Would I be able to run it on Shared hosting now?
I went ahead and downloaded the latest version of AutomysqlBackup. I then cracked open the README file and this is what lies inside.
AutomysqlBackup README wrote:.. INSTALL
-------------------------
Extract the package into a directory. If you are reading this you have probably done
this already.

To install the Automysqlbackup the easy way.
1. Run the install.sh script.
2. Edit the /etc/automysqlbackup/myserver.conf file to customise your settings.
3. See usage section.

To install it manually (the hard way).
1. Create the /etc/automysqlbackup directory.
2. Copy in the automysqlbackup.conf file.
3. Copy the automysqlbackup file to /usr/local/bin and make executable.
4. cp /etc/automysqlbackup/automysqlbackup.conf /etc/automysqlbackup/myserver.conf
5. Edit the /etc/automysqlbackup/myserver.conf file to customise your settings.
6. See usage section.
So without their help, there is no way I can install this on my own. I'm pretty darn sure my host is telling me here, there is no way they will install this for me on their end.
HostGator Support wrote:Shared and Reseller
You may create manual backups, such as the full backup. You cannot schedule backups. We do not supply a script which can backup your data, nor can we help you use such a script.
That means AutomysqlBackup is not an option either :?.

Looks like janus_zonstraal's suggestion is the method to go with. Just need to give it a try. I'm about to head home for the day but I will be sure to try out that approach/solution tomorrow :D

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:19 pm

Mulsiphix wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:14 pm
HiFiKabin wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:31 pm
Either ask them how to... ... Once you have the correct php version for that one directory the MySQLDumper should install without error.
I just hopped into Cpanel to see if I could set the version of a directory like you mentioned. And I found this bit of information: "The system's default version of PHP is 5.6". So shouldn't the script run? I followed the instructions in "english_install.txt" as well as your guide's. But the installation never starts. Sadly, PHP 7.0 and 7.1 are the only other options.
Yes it should. I'll be happy to have a look for you if you would like me to. Just PM or email me your FTP address and logon details, and I'll see if I can see whats happening (or rather whats not happening)

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:15 pm

HiFiKabin wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:19 pm
Yes it should. I'll be happy to have a look for you if you would like me to. Just PM or email me your FTP address and logon details, and I'll see if I can see whats happening (or rather whats not happening)
I was all set to PM you the FTP account I had created for you, but I needed to put MySQLDumper back on the site; having deleted it yesterday. I gave it another go and it started right up. I have no idea what happened yesterday, but I must have messed up somewhere along the way. I'm sitting in the installation screen right now, mouth dropped to the floor :shock: :?.

I sincerely apologize for wasting your time today HiFiKabin :cry:. I don't know what I did wrong but I sure feel embarrassed. I won't be needing your generous offer of direct FTP support after all.
Last edited by Mulsiphix on Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

janus_zonstraal

Re: [Split] noob question on forum backup

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:14 pm

The system's default version of PHP is 5.6"
php5.6 is a slow and unsupported php version.
https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

Ask your host to go to 7.2. :!:
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:12 am

Mulsiphix wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:15 pm
I have no idea what happened yesterday, but I must have messed up somewhere along the way.
I figured out what had happened. In Cpanel, when I enter the PHP Selector tool, it shows the PHP setting for my domain. The account was created in early 2016. I created the subdomain that phpBB is hosted on a few months ago.

PHP Selector reports that my original domain is using v5.6 and my subdomain is using v7.0. I had set the MySQLDumper directory to manually use v5.6 after you suggested I take a look. Which is why it ended up working when I had re-uploaded the files yesterday. Mystery solved :lol:

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:14 pm
Ask your host to go to 7.2. :!:
They said 7.1 is the highest version they are offering at this time :roll:

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:17 am

Easy mistake to make (in fact far too easy) Glad its solved. If I were you I would go through your cPanel and check each directories php version, setting it to as high an option you can when the software can work with it.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:53 am

They said 7.1 is the highest version they are offering at this time
If I where you than I was looking for a better host, my host offers php7.4 (beta) already.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:16 am

7.1 is a perfectly support php version, while there are newer versions, it is a bit overrated to suggest to search for a new host ;). Being on bleeding edge is not always needed, especially in a production enviroment.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:13 pm

Support is ending next month, I wouldn't call that "a perfectly support php version"

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 am

Not just next month, PHP 7.1 end of life is 1 December 2019, which is less than 3 weeks away.

Active support for 7.1 actually ended last year and it has only been receiving security updates, but even that will end from 1 December and I expect all decent hosting platforms will quickly move to 7.2> only.

End of active support for PHP 7.2 actually ends in 18 days, but it will continue to receive security updates for another year.

See: https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php/

PHP 7.3 is already showing massive performance improvements over 7.1 and 7.2 so the sooner phpBB 3.3 moves out of beta and we can get 7.3 support the better!
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

Mulsiphix

Post by Mulsiphix » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:06 pm

The "PHP Selector" in Cpanel continues to say that my PHP version defaults to 5.6. I contacted support today to verify they had set it to v7.1, as I had requested. Turned out that they had not, but said they've fixed it now. PHP Selector still reports v5.6, but I created a file to check the PHP version, and it is now reporting v7.1.

As soon as that change happened, my forum stopped being accessible. When I visit it, this is what I see:

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:21 pm

Mulsiphix wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:06 pm
The "PHP Selector" in Cpanel continues to say that my PHP version defaults to 5.6. I contacted support today to verify they had set it to v7.1, as I had requested. Turned out that they had not, but said they've fixed it now. PHP Selector still reports v5.6, but I created a file to check the PHP version, and it is now reporting v7.1.

As soon as that change happened, my forum stopped being accessible. When I visit it, this is what I see:

Edit the following line in config.php from mysql to mysqli

Code: Select all

$dbms = 'mysqli';
Save the file. You might need to clear the board cache.

If that doesn't work, you need to check the PHP setting to ensure the mySQLi extension is installed.

More info here: viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2399941
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

Return to “phpBB Discussion”