Forum notifications not working

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
deepndark

Forum notifications not working

Post by deepndark »

One of my users reported that forum notifications don't work and when I tested it - then YES - it's true.
The forum notifications don't work and the email notifications either - whenever someone has replied to your topic.

The control panel options are set to receive them.
I use the latest phpbb.

Anyone knows?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Forum notifications not working

Post by warmweer »

deepndark wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:08 pm One of my users reported that forum notifications don't work and when I tested it - then YES - it's true.
The forum notifications don't work and the email notifications either - whenever someone has replied to your topic.

I use the latest phpbb.

Anyone knows?
Where they working before? When was the last time it worked as expected?
Was something modified on the board? (Mod, Extension, style, etc... including php version)
i.o.w Support Request Template
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
deepndark

Post by deepndark »

warmweer wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:17 pm
deepndark wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:08 pm One of my users reported that forum notifications don't work and when I tested it - then YES - it's true.

I use the latest phpbb.

Anyone knows?
Where they working before? When was the last time it worked as expected?
Was something modified on the board? (Mod, Extension, style, etc... including php version)
i.o.w Support Request Template
Hey, it seems they work for my testing user-account and one thing I changed was the Email package size being set to 0 in ACP/Email settings like told in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=15004716#p15004716

But it seems (still) that the notifications don't work for my own account i.e. my Admin account.
deepndark

Post by deepndark »

forum_notifications.jpg

These are my user control settings for my Admin account, but whenever someone replies to my postings, I don't receive an email or am not notified inside the forum. My testing account (an ordinary registered user account) DOES receive emails and inside the forum notifications.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

deepndark wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:54 pm but whenever someone replies to my postings, I don't receive an email or am not notified inside the forum.
That only applies to topics you have subscribed to or are bookmarked. So those conditions apply?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
deepndark

Post by deepndark »

KevC wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:13 pm
deepndark wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:54 pm but whenever someone replies to my postings, I don't receive an email or am not notified inside the forum.
That only applies to topics you have subscribed to or are bookmarked. So those conditions apply?
Hey, I think I got it now. The old topics don't count I think if one changed the notifications on AFTERWARDS their submit date??
As I just created a new topic with my Admin account and replied with my test-account - I now did get notified in both, inside the forum and I also received an email notification too. SOLVED!

You learn something new every day.
SQLnovice

Post by SQLnovice »

This topic answered a question/problem I had too. I thought there was something wrong with my forum, b/c I wasn't getting topic reply notifications like I should. So that must mean others are not too, right? Not necessarily.

I was so focused on Edit Notifications Options in my UCP that I neglected to double-check the Edit Posting Defaults; Notify me upon replies by default: No. :idea:

Changed to Yes, and submitted. Tested. Mystery solved. I'll have to go back and adjust any of the topics that are set incorrectly for me, but that'll be less of a concern over time.

Kudos!

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”