Upgrade of v2 to v3 of a very large forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
rockedge

Re: Upgrade of v2 to v3 of a very large forum

Post by rockedge » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Worse case is you would need to convert to 3.0 first. Here's link if you need it.
A very good point! Thanks...this may be actually a way to go...do the upgrade v2 to v3.0 and then v3.0 to v 3.2

I will test first the big jump on a development server. I am sure we can compress most or all of the attachment files and transfer them.
We have choices on methods but have the capability to ftp directly to the upgrade to server from the the current forum's server or the development server.

all of the information being shared is helpful and makes charting a course for a safe transfer and upgrade for this forum much easier.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:25 pm

thecoalman wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 am
As noted attachments is a mod and it is supported for conversion however I have no idea how or even if 3.2 handles it. Perhaps someone can chime in if they know.
Yes 3.2 does it. :) There is no need to switch between 3.0 and 3.2. You can go straight to the final goal.

Code: Select all

/**
* Obtain the path to uploaded files on the 2.0.x forum
* This is only used if the Attachment MOD was installed
*/
function phpbb_get_files_dir()
See: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/300 ... 1310-L1314
thecoalman wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 am
(I see 3di mention the converter still supports it).
3Di :P ;)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:40 pm

rockedge wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:15 pm
A very good point! Thanks...this may be actually a way to go...do the upgrade v2 to v3.0 and then v3.0 to v 3.2
You probably don't need to do this. The attachment mod is special case and I was unsure if it was supported with the 3.2 converter. 3Di has confirmed it does.
I will test first the big jump on a development server. I am sure we can compress most or all of the attachment files and transfer them.
When i did this I just used .htaccess password on test version of the live forum, mostly just to keep the bots out so they weren't indexing it before it was live. Since it's not actually in use you really don't need development version and can go right to testing live version. When you go to pull the trigger on it the files are already there. The other benefit of this is you can give members the username/password to test it but just be sure to let them know any posts they make are not being saved.

Note you could end up extra files in the files folder uploaded on test version but those can easily be eliminated by date or the file name. Files upload through 3.0 forward will be named with the users ID followed by random string and no extension.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”