"Could not find path to your former board."

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
wtobiasjr

"Could not find path to your former board."

Post by wtobiasjr »

I've spent all day chatting with customer support and searching the support forums, but I still don't have an answer.

In order to update my forum from 3.1.8 to 3.2.9, I did a clean install of 3.2.9 and now I'm trying import/convert the content of 3.1.8, but I can't get past the converter's Settings screen without getting the "Could not find path to your former board" error.

Old Board: http://www.mysite.com/phpBB/

New Board: http://www.mysite.com/phpBB329/

Both boards are installed and active.

I've tried ./phpBB and every variation I can think of but nothing works. Judging from the threads I've seen, this is a problem that people have had for years. Is there any common solution I'm missing or reasons why I might be having trouble? Are there any alternate ways to import an old database into a newer forum? Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm completely at a loss.
Last edited by wtobiasjr on Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Re: "Could not find path to your former board."

Post by 3Di »

Is not a conversion what you should do but an update/upgrade, see:

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/
๐Ÿ†“ Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
๐Ÿš€ Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity ยบ PhpStorm's proud user ยบ Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

wtobiasjr wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:50 pm Judging from the threads I've seen, this is a problem that people have had for years.
No, it's hasn't been. What you are referring to is the conversion from phpBB2 to 3.0 and higher., and this involved making a new database.
A phpBB2 database needs to be converted in to a completely new database whereas a 3.0 or 3.1 database need to be updated/upgraded - basically the same database will be used.
Your board is 3.1.8 and the upgrade to 3.2.9 is fairly straightforward (follow the instructions linked to by 3Di) to the letter and you should be just fine.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
wtobiasjr

Post by wtobiasjr »

Thanks for the response. I opted for the fresh install because, perhaps out of an over-abundance of caution, I didn't want to risk corrupting my database and then having to restore it from a backup. I thought creating a new board and then importing the contents would be my best option, but I guess I was wrong. I will try upgrading and see how it goes.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

wtobiasjr wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:09 am Thanks for the response. I opted for the fresh install because, perhaps out of an over-abundance of caution, I didn't want to risk corrupting my database and then having to restore it from a backup. I thought creating a new board and then importing the contents would be my best option, but I guess I was wrong. I will try upgrading and see how it goes.
Actually by making a new install, you're forced to make a database backup beforehand (which is a good thing), but after the install, you'll have to restore the backup anyway (import it into the new database), and still do the database update.

There's nothing wrong with that (the good thing is that the old board is already a backup) but it's extra work.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
wtobiasjr

Post by wtobiasjr »

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I was able to update my board from 3.1.8 to 3.2.9 without difficulty. :D I had originally intended to continue updating to 3.3.0 but now I'm wondering if that's necessary. Is there any urgency to update to 3.3?
david63

Post by david63 »

wtobiasjr wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:48 pm s there any urgency to update to 3.3?
No, but as you have gone fron 3.1.8 to 3.2.9 any styles, other than prosilver, you had will not work and possibly some extensions so, in my view, you may as well go to 3.3.0
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to โ€œ[3.2.x] Support Forumโ€