[SPLIT] Strip metadata from images by default

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
EA117

[SPLIT] Strip metadata from images by default

Post by EA117 »

KYPREO wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:35 am
Nope. I was intending to do so, but wasn't sure about the policy on tickets for feature requests when they are being discussed in the Ideas forum. Here, the idea now has a +4 rating. Is that enough to justify a ticket? I wouldn't want to spend time on a PR if it's going to be knocked back due to downvotes on here.
I'll admit to not even understanding the intention of what happens in response to the Ideas forum. If an idea was wildly successful here, who was intending to "act" on that? Is there some developer or project lead assigned the responsibility to glean ideas from the Ideas forum, and turn them into reality? Or is it just random contributors coming through here and volunteering to "own" an idea that meets their own individual threshold of "a good idea."

Because "create a ticket" and "create a pull request" works regardless of whether anything was ever posted to the Ideas forum, and whether or not anyone here agreed with that idea. Whether it was ever in the Ideas forum or not, you'll get peer reviewed at the ticket level and again in the pull request for whether the peer-reviewing developers "think it's a good idea." But plenty of things "just happen" without ever being "community-reviewed" in the Ideas forum.

Which is another way of also saying "I don't think anything would stop you from going ahead and creating the ticket." If it's not supposed to happen, the ticket will get review comments, clarifications and receive or not receive votes on the ticket itself. And/or those with the actual permission to merge the pull request simply will decline to merge it, and tell you why. But it's not that it's clear to me either "What's supposed to happen to Ideas."

John connor
Name: Aaron

Re: [SPLIT] Strip metadata from images by default

Post by John connor »

But it's not that it's clear to me either "What's supposed to happen to Ideas."
I personally think it's analogous to the suggestion box at a place of work. Does HR, etc read them? Maybe. But the overall reason why it's there is probably to make the employee feel good and keeps up morale so you have a good little serf making rich people richer for meager wages. :lol: :D Okay, a little far fetched? Naaaah.

I've submitted about three or four ideas only to be shot down. Now I don't think I'm a dummy when it comes to submitting ideas. I do it for a real valid reason and purpose. Whether that means someone's IQ/EQ disagrees is another story. That's a sad fact of life and sometimes I wish I had absolute power. :lol: Like in politics. Come up with a decent bill for term limits and it's shot down. And so was the case not too long ago. Each carbon-based life form on this rock has their own ideas for what should or should not happen and as a consequence battle lines are drawn and arguments ensue.

Now why on earth would anyone think having their GPS coordinates uploaded to the Internet is a good thing I'll never know. I mean, that's the nonverbal communication I get when I see the thumbs down. Now I said over 4,000 people viewed my idea and I said if at least 10% of those were users I should have at least 400 thumbs up. But drill it down further to weed out multiple page access counts and you have 40. A possible whole 40 thumbs up on a plain and simple common sense idea. Yet I see ten? So that tells me either A) people could care less, or B) people could care less. :lol: Pretty damn sad if you ask me, and that's the crux of the issue. People could care less what a smart device is truly capable of. Hell, I have a GPS App in my phone and I just sent my coordinates to myself in my Protonemail App so I can check out the location on mapper.acme. The technology is crazy, but in the wrong hands can be an untamed monster. It's like letting an 18 year old play the lotto, he/she wins and does what with the untold millions? I can't even imagine.

Anyway, an inventor and idealist I am, and I take it personally to be shot down. :evil: Especially by the same old glee club.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

John connor wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:55 am
I've submitted about three or four ideas only to be shot down.
That doesn't mean that the idea is bas as such, but that there is a significant number of user thinking it's not important enough to be a default feature.
I have also opened an Idea topic, (can't remember what about) only to come to the conclusion (based on others' opinions) that it wasn't really default feature material (which doesn't necessarily imply that the feature isn't wanted).
I usually won't vote for a feature immediately but prefer to read first and let the information sink in. And I've been known to change my vote (when I've seen the light :o ).
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

John connor

Post by John connor »

warmweer wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:52 am
(when I've seen the light :o ).
And that's the problem. A lot of people are blind and vote accordingly on first instinct.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

or, they just have a different opinion on the subject than you do. that does not make them blind.
personally, I think you sometimes go way overboard about security for a simple bulletin board.
however, I have never considered you to be blind etc. I know you know more about the security issues than I do but that does not make me blind. we just have different opinions about what type and how much security is needed for a bulletin board in most situations.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

John connor

Post by John connor »

Let me quote what I just said.

Whether that means someone's IQ/EQ disagrees is another story. That's a sad fact of life and sometimes I wish I had absolute power. :lol: Like in politics. Come up with a decent bill for term limits and it's shot down. And so was the case not too long ago. Each carbon-based life form on this rock has their own ideas for what should or should not happen and as a consequence battle lines are drawn and arguments ensue.

I'm well aware of varying opinions, but my "opinion" stands that people are blind.

Also, your writing offends me. Learn to capitalize the first letter of a sentence.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I learned how to do that in school most likely way before you were born.
however, I choose not to do it because I am lazy and do not want to take the time to reach for the shift key.

thanks for playing.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Jeezes guys, I'm getting notifications for a topic I'm interested in but I'm not fond of this diversion.
Differences in opinion will always be there, even among non-blind people. Some think the privacy issue is important, others don't ... so what.
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

John connor wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:55 am
I've submitted about three or four ideas only to be shot down. Now I don't think I'm a dummy when it comes to submitting ideas. I do it for a real valid reason and purpose.
When I vote on an idea, no matter whose idea it is I do actually read what is being proposed. In many cases an idea is not formulated sufficiently for me to agree with it in the form that is proposed.

For example in your meta idea your idea was to strip metadata off by default without any option to leave it there if it was a requirement for the board (as I said in my response). Had the idea included this option then I would have voted for it.

If an idea is vague (and some of mine probably are) then they deserve to be voted down, but if they are clear and precise then they should then be duly considered - not everyone will agree with every idea and neither should they disagree with every idea.

What should not happen, but I suspect that it does, is that some members vote ideas by another member down because that member has voted their idea down
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

I suspect a few of the downvotes were in the same camp as david, ie the idea wasn't bad per se, it just needed an admin option to change it.

On that basis, I will submit a ticket and PR for EXIF by default but configurable by admin. I'll do this when I get a chance, hopefully in the next week or so. The EXIF part is easy. I just need to add the ACP option, which will then also require changes to the language files as the new option in the ACP page will require explanatory text.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

Return to “phpBB Discussion”