Last Two Posters Redux

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
DV1

Last Two Posters Redux

Post by DV1 »

The reason it's called, Redux, is because this relates to a posting on these boards 10 years ago.

Having said that, then let me start right away by asking if this is possible nowadays considering the versions of phpBB that have come and gone since then. At the time of this question, DavidIQ was generous enough to go through a description of how it could be done. It worked and I used it for awhile. After that time I had to deal with real world matters and so forums and most things of the internet took a back seat; some even in the trunk.

Picture is worth a thousand words and all that...:

I used my name twice because it was the easiest to do in the graphics program. Just think of any name to replace the second name. So basically it's about showing the last two posters on that topic with the most recent poster's name first.

At the time some asked what the purpose of that would be. I think it's good in that for forums it's an indicator of participation rather than just a single name there.

Anyway, I'd like to know if this possible. You can see DavidIQ's instructions here. It links to the post where he begins detailing in subsequent posts about what is involved in the modification.

Thank You

Daniel

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Last Two Posters Redux

Post by david63 »

I cannot remember back to those days as to whether you could change the Subject in a reply - which can now do, unless you have an extension to prevent it. The point here is that you would show two names against one reply subject title and those two titles could be different.
DV1 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:30 pm
I think it's good in that for forums it's an indicator of participation rather than just a single name there.
But if you have a topic with, say, 100 replies just showing two names does not really show participation.

You might find this extension more useful to show participation - https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... this_topic
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

DV1

Post by DV1 »

david63 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:01 pm
and those two titles could be different.
I remember when working on it back then that the name of a poster on another topic showed up in a different topic. That was definitely a glitch but somehow it worked out correctly and I used it for a time.

Yes, you have a point with that number of replies. I was thinking more in terms for forums just starting out and such. For me, the idea of seeing two names is better somehow than just checking the number in the replies column.

I have a separate test forum. If I followed the instructions from the original LTP would it work? That's why I asked about the changes in phpBB since then. It would be to no avail if the 'mechanisms' of the php changed to an extent where the instructions would be obsolete. It would be like trying to fix a late 60s VW bug with a 2020 VW manual. :D

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

DV1 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:36 pm
If I followed the instructions from the original LTP would it work?
Without spending time digging into the code I really could not say, but my gut instinct would be that it probably wouldn't (a lot has changed in the code in the last 10 years!)

Also it is not recommended that you change core code as it makes updating/upgrading more difficult.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

DV1

Post by DV1 »

david63 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:56 pm
but my gut instinct would be that it probably wouldn't (a lot has changed in the code in the last 10 years!)
Yes, that's what I was thinking.

I will leave it with this question: Is there anything in the system as it stands now that would facilitate some kind of 'hover' that would pop up sort of like the 'Topic Preview' extension but in this case it would be, 'Poster Preview'?

Of course, no one wants a pop-up showing 100 names! :D There would be a cutoff at 2 or 4 names.

D.

Return to “Extension Requests”