Deleting a user and its messages don't delete quotes

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: [GDPR Violation] Deleting a user and its messages don't delete quotes

Post by stevemaury »

If you post something in a public forum, it is not, by definition, "personal information". Even if public posts were deleted, there are still search engines and the Wayback machine. Forget about this.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

njs

Re: [GDPR Violation] Deleting a user and its messages don't delete quotes

Post by njs »

Thank you all for the help and clarity on the topic, I think you're right and this doesn't constitute any GDPR violation as the data is publicly available already.

I'll remove that "tag" from the topic title, not to confuse more people.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Re: Deleting a user and its messages don't delete quotes

Post by John connor »

I have an extension that allows a user to delete their account and posts if they wish from their UCP. When this is done and they chose to leave their posts the username will change to something like deleted user 40. Thus, if a user deletes his/her posts and there are quotes, I think the quote will say something like:
deleted user 40 wrote:Some quoted text by some PITA.
So with that the quote can stay there as the username is gone and is now in affect private so to speak. If you would like to know the name of this extension let me know and I'll look in my ACP.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Letting members delete there post makes your board unreadable, so that is a very bad idea in my opinion.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

John connor

Post by John connor »

It is I guess, but to help keep my butt out of court and having to dish out money for a lawyer and court fees, I'd rather let the user decide whether they want to keep their posts with a new username or simply delete the whole lot and forgetaboutit. Now I live in the U.S so the GDPR law can't really touch me. They (European law enforcement could somehow subpoena my domain register, get my name and address and put out an arrest warrant or some crap. Granted I'd have to be in Europe for that to take affect. They can't come here and arrest me. Not so sure if INTERPOL has jurisdiction or not on this type of utter crap. But, one day when I plan on visiting Europe, I don't want to pass through customs and get arrested on the spot.

So yeah, it would make the board look like crap, but in the end, you're better off. And I think allowing a user to delete their content is a rule of the GDPR law BS. Though, I'm not sure.

Now if I were handed a frivolous lawsuit, you can bet I'd sue back for wrongful prosecution, seek damages, attorney and court fees right quick and make that person throw rocks in the street since I'll in affect own his retirement savings. I don't mess around.

This whole GDPR crap is just that -- crap. Just go on over to the Shodan website and pull up people's router login pages, IoT devices and unsecured WiFi cameras, etc. I really do think it's one big money grab.

Note- Your English really is "bat" because you used the wrong homophone of their. :lol: :D

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:33 am
Letting members delete there post makes your board unreadable, so that is a very bad idea in my opinion.
Right!
But there are also nonsensical posts if I delete all posts of a user. If his or her name is removed and there is no content with personal information in the post (which you should avoid including in a post anyway), it doesn't matter and I certainly don't delete those posts! Especially not the nested posts.
I must delete all his data and his username.
Last edited by Tastenplayer on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
More of my styles you can find in my phpBB Style Board & More
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

njs wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:25 pm
I've got a recent request from a user to delete his user and its posts, up to here all is good, I deleted everything, but now the user realised that the quotes to his posts are still present on the board and he is threatening with a GDPR complaint.
Let the user file his complaint.
Only in exceptional circumstances, pertaining to that user's identity, which that user will have to prove, will "censoring" or deletion be required.
Up to now I've been "threatened" 4 or 5 times and I simply reply with a question in the following sense: I am willing to grant the user's request for those posts which are relevant however please state the relevant articles in the legislation.
And that's were the communication form the other end stutters.
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

If you have an enemy or someone who really hates you, or a competitor with a similar forum, they will register in your forum. Replies to as many topics / posts as possible and after a few months asks for deletion including all those posts he has answered. All these topics are nonsense, because umpteen other members have already answered.
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

I got a official question from the Belgium GDPR commission to remove post from a member (he complain to the commission that I didn't want to do it)
My defend was that there wasn't any private info in the post and that In my opinion I don't have to delete his post.

Never heard of them again :lol:
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

My opinion: if you really had to delete all posts, if a member wants to have his data deleted, then it would not make sense to run internet forums anymore.
A forum consists of preliminary discussions in the form of answers. If I had to delete a reply between, I would often have to delete the whole post.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Tastenplayer wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:54 pm
My opinion: if you really had to delete all posts, if a member wants to have his data deleted, then it would not make sense to run internet forums anymore.
... or indeed the internet. Content is what makes things work, if everyone had the right to have their posts deleted, the whole thing would crumble.

... and how would you delete search engine results

... and web archive sites

Publicly made posts are by definition in the public domain. The exist and can not 'un exist'

Even if I delete this tomorrow, it will exist somewhere

John connor

Post by John connor »

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

I'll sue :lol:

Proves my point exactly, a post once made can not un exist. Thanks for the find

Tastenplayer

Post by Tastenplayer »

Therefore: if you really have to delete all his contributions, they would have to ban or close the whole Internet.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

yep, that would be true. we can't do that because I would not have anything to do every day all day, every hour, every minute.........
I think I will go clean up the kitchen or something.

this is all too depressing to think about.

rob ert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”