usercp_avatar.php

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Cultus

usercp_avatar.php

Post by Cultus »

Whenever I try to use a remote avatar, there's a general error message that says DEBUG MODE and something about line 162 in the file, usercp_avatar.php. What's wrong?

The forum is at the website link in my profile.
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

Can you post the entire error message? ;)
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.
Cultus

Post by Cultus »

General Error

Could not write avatar file to local storage. Please contact the board administrator with this message

DEBUG MODE

Line : 162
File : /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/cultus/includes/usercp_avatar.php

I found the part in usercp_avatar.php where it displays the message, but I don't know what to do with it.
Cultus

Post by Cultus »

*bump*
Cultus

Post by Cultus »

*bump*
Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham »

It means that you need to check the permissions on the folder where you have told it to store the avatar images - They will need to be 777 or a similar setting that allows the webserver to write to that directory
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!
Cultus

Post by Cultus »

They're already at 777, otherwise I would also have a problem with uploading avatars locally. The avatars uploading locally work; the only problem is in using remote avatars.
Cultus

Post by Cultus »

*bump*
Cultus

Post by Cultus »

*bump*
Graham
Former Team Member

Post by Graham »

Please do not bump a post unless more than 6 hours have passed since the last post.

Can you please clarify what you are trying to do? Are you trying to link to a remote avatar (which should not try to upload it) or to upload from a URL (which may not work depending on whether the server is allowed to make outgoing connections)?
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

phpBB Useful Links: Knowledge Base | Userguide | Forum Search | MOD Database | Styles Database
My Links: Blog!
ZinZang

Post by ZinZang »

i just got a similar error (it said line 157)

so i converted my avatar.bmp to an avatar.PNG, and it worked
(i was actually the one hosting the image, i just didnt want it in the gallery)

try converting then uploading it to somewhere in your site
ZZ/♥GreyHeart♥
rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

I am having the same problem when attempting to upload an avatar from a URL. Permissions are already set to 777 in the directories. I've tried images from different URLs, and also images of different types - .gif, .png, .jpg. Uploading from my machine and linking to an offsite image works fine, though.

Here's the error message I get:

----------=====================--------------

Could not write avatar file to local storage. Please contact the board administrator with this message

DEBUG MODE

Line : 157
File : /home/virtual/site293/fst/var/www/html/test/SVR/volunteers/phpBB/includes/usercp_avatar.php

----------=====================--------------
rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

Not sure if this is related to my "upload from a URL" problem, but when I click on "Select Avatar from gallery", nothing shows up as being in the gallery.

I have a couple of images in there. (And yes, the General Configuration page in the Admin panel shows the correct path.)
bykrmom

Post by bykrmom »

I've got the same problem as rivaldo :(

I posted a plea for help at http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=256567

CHMOD has already been set to 777 in the images/avatars file. DO I have to CHMOD the directories in the whole site that php resides in? Seems open to attack from hackers that way, but maybe I'm wrong?
rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

Okay, I figured out my gallery problem. Just had to go back and read the Knowledge Base article. http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=28

I had to create a sub-folder under "gallery".

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”