Setting MX Record On VPS Hosting

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Setting MX Record On VPS Hosting

Post by thecoalman »

There are other reasons. You may want to do things you can't on shared hosting, installing Sphinx for example. From my experience with support from the various shared hosting providers for that reason alone I won't touch it with ten foot pole. They are too busy answering RTFM questions on how to set up email account and typically lost on anything that doesn't show up on their screen. You end supporting them.... When I login to support I have response in 0 to 5 minutes from a knowledgeable tech and usually resolved in minutes afterward... and if I'm seeking support it's not trivial thing.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:19 pm
not saying this is the case with you but I have seen a lot of people get a VPS when they really don't need it and don't know how to manage it.

you really don't usually need a VPS unless you are using way more resources than a shared hosting account can handle and unless your site is very very busy, that is usually not the case.

robert
This is not my case. I know why I moved to a VPS hosting case my forum was consuming a lot of resources on a shared hosting.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Exclusive wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:47 pm
This is not my case. I know why I moved to a VPS hosting case my forum was consuming a lot of resources on a shared hosting.
Your hoster -> Hosted on Hostinger is famous for his tricks, now you're in a position that seems to be unknown to you.

A board like yours with Total posts 2229 • Total topics 1169 can not consume resources at all. ;)

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive »

3Di wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:25 am
Exclusive wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:47 pm
Your hoster -> Hosted on Hostinger is famous for his tricks, now you're in a position that seems to be unknown to you.

A board like yours with Total posts 2229 • Total topics 1169 can not consume resources at all. ;)
No, you're getting it wrong. I was on a shared host with Siteground (GrowBig plan), they said I consume a lot of server resource after 4 months of purchase (same issue with my first web host which was why I moved to siteground) so they said I need to move to their Cloud Host which is way more expensive, so I moved to Hostinger VPS Plan.

If you know of a better host that is suitable for my board, please send me a DM.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Just move on from a VPS plan if you can't manage it.

Exclusive

Post by Exclusive »

3Di wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:51 am
Just move on from a VPS plan if you can't manage it.
Or I should likely get a managed VPS?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

yes, or, take the time to study and learn how to manage a server. you have options but ultimately it is up to you to choose which one.

luck,
robert

Return to “General Discussion”