how possible to backup full forum with ext ....

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
BF79
Name: Fouad B

how possible to backup full forum with ext ....

Post by BF79 »

Hi guys...

I can make backup of my forum 3.1 without problem full forum backup for download.. I had a problem in past the server host crached .. I was able to install my backup of 7 days in new server without problem ...

but for 3.2 when I tried..I lost my extensions.. my custom phpbb style avatars....

is possible for 3.2 ??

thanks

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: how possible to backup full forum with ext ....

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the backup procedure is the same.
you backup the database and you backup the files.

the database can be backed up from either the admin panel or from the server.

the files are backed up using ftp to access the files on the server.

not sure what you did wrong to lose your attachments and avatars but if you download all of the files/folders from the ftp to your computer you will have all of those.

the only thing that has changed is that you can't download the backup from the admin panel. it goes into the folder named store by default.

that means that if you want a separate copy of the database backup you have to use your ftp to download it from the store folder to your computer.

however, if you are backing every thing up then when you backup all the files via ftp you will get the database backups as well.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

david63

Post by david63 »

How are you doing your backup?

There are two aspects to backing up a phpBB board - the database and the files.

Database backup can be done either via ACP, phpMyAdmin or some other database backup utility.

Files backup you do vis ftp download.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

BF79

Post by BF79 »

I do my backup directly from my forum ACP maintenance backup

BF79

Post by BF79 »

BF79 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:30 pm
I do my backup directly from my forum ACP maintenance backup

edit:
from 3.1 I was able to do full backup with ACP maintenance backup but for 3.2 not anymore.. how possible to do via ftp ?? just download folders ??

Lumpy Burgertushie

It never has been possible to do a file backup from the admin panel of phpbb.
if you were not using ftp to backup your files then that is how you lost your images etc.

you must use ftp to backup the files. only the database is backed up from the admin panel.
in phpBB 3.2+ the backup is made it is just stored in the folder named store. you do not have the option to download it to your computer from the admin panel any longer.

the way to make a complete backup is what I described in the post above.

do that and you will be fine.

robert

BF79

Post by BF79 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:40 pm
It never has been possible to do a file backup from the admin panel of phpbb.
if you were not using ftp to backup your files then that is how you lost your images etc.

you must use ftp to backup the files. only the database is backed up from the admin panel.
in phpBB 3.2+ the backup is made it is just stored in the folder named store. you do not have the option to download it to your computer from the admin panel any longer.

the way to make a complete backup is what I described in the post above.

do that and you will be fine.

robert
thanks for reply..
as I told you and maybe somebody will confirm to you that I have no problem to download my full forum 3.1 directly from ACP size of file gzip trun about 20mb.
how can be possible!!!! I changed the hosts I sent my backup file gzip to new host and few minutes later my forum in alive again with all

maybe because I have this ext installed
https://github.com/VSEphpbb/dbtool
or
https://github.com/Pico/phpBB-Auto-Database-Backup

backup.jpg
OK this is no problem..

I need help how download from ftp.. should I download folders exp: ext images style.. ???

thanks

Lumpy Burgertushie

the backup from the admin panel , the one you get from either of those tools are all just the database backup, not the files.

the only way to get the files is to copy them from your server to your computer. you can do that using ftp.

you need to copy all of them for an actual backup.
if your board is installed for instance like yourdomain.com/phpBB or yourdomain.com/forum etc.
then you just copy that folder (phpBB, forum or whatever you named it) from the ftp to your computer.

if your board is here: yourdomain.com/ then you will need to copy all the phpbb files and folders to your backup folder on your computer. you do that by making sure what you want to copy is in the right hand window of the ftp program and the highlite whatever you are copying and drag and drop it over to the left side which is your computer.
remember, you need all of the files/folders that belong to phpBB.

robert

BF79

Post by BF79 »

thanks for reply..

my 3 boards are domain.com

you mean I need to download all public_html files and folder from ftp !!! + database backup form acp maintenance

then I install a new copy phpbb the same version as my forum I do a my database backup and then I upload all files and folder in public_html

Lumpy Burgertushie

if, in ftp , you see public_html then in there you see all the phpBB folders like adm, assets, etc. and, you don't have anything else like a wordpress blog or whatever in your public_html directory, then yes, you download all of the files/folders in your public_html directory to your computer.

and yes, you do the backup from the admin panel.

if your board is phpbb 3.2 or 3.3 then the database backup will go into the folder named store automatically.

therefore, after you do the database backup and the download all the phpbb files/folders you will already have your database backup.

now, not sure why you ask about restoring it unless you have lost it for some reason or you are moving to a new host etc.

the point of a backup is just in case something happens you can then restore everything with just a few clicks.

robert

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”