Auto notifications based on a keyword

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
tajnost

Auto notifications based on a keyword

Post by tajnost »

Hi!

I'm looking for a solution for my "problem". I follow one of the phpBB music forums and it has "For Sale" section. 4 - 5 times a year someone sells a rare piece of gear which I'm trying to buy, but each time when I see a topic, it's too late and it's already sold.

So I'm wondering, maybe there's a tool, a kind of "auto notification" which can monitor the forum section and if there's a new topic incl. my "keyword" the app sends me an email immediately?

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions!
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Auto notifications based on a keyword

Post by KevC »

You would probably need the agreement of the site owner to install some sort of extension (which as far as I know doesn't exist) to mail users based on a keyword list. If you want something external to check the forum, the owner may not be happy for you to effectively regularly 'scrape' their site looking for that word.

If you subscribe to the forum itself you'll get notified of new topics so you can go and look.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
tajnost

Post by tajnost »

Well I see...

Maybe I can subscribe to the new topics in that section of the forum, but it has like +50 new topics each day, so it's a pain to check every day to look for the only one I need, and it comes only once in a few months.

I would appreciate more comments...
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

Subscribing to the forum and get notified when a post is made is your best option honestly.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Most if not all email clients have filters that will process emails so you can tag them with that. Minimally that will work for the subjects. Haven't looked but getting the text of the post into the email is probably not too hard. Could be as simple as adding a template variable to the email template. You can ask the forum owner if that is possible.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
axe70
Name: Alessio

Post by axe70 »

... So i have not understand if i have to code this (respecting all phpBB code rules this time :) ) or:
there is already an extension doing this in the "convenient way"?
Do not take me too serious
Anyway i do not like Discourse
axe70
Name: Alessio

Post by axe70 »

I have try to imagine a convenient way to do this, but it seem to me there is not one.
The problem could be minimized letting only a restrict user group to use this feature, and with limited words.
Imagine a forum where 10000 users set this kind of feature, and when post insertion happen, the query should:
search for each user that had setup, let say one or two keywords, the match on the text.
It would be quite intensive into a text, to search for 10000 or 20000 words if there is some match for those values on the post content. And if users using the feature are 300000?
Adapting the code to get an unique array of values to check against would be not a good solution.

It should be the reason why, socials, let subscribe to specified arguments, which who post may add as tags.
Differently, i am asking myself if can exist a "convenient way" and if my assumption is right. Seem impossible in a convenient way.

Which, to you, could be a medium limit, so that providing an array of words to check against, it would overload the system? (i know this question depend by many factors!)... and well, to associate each word to users is hard.
Easy and possible would be if only certain words are set, and users with no possibility to change values/words

Thank you for your comments

[EDITED]
notifyByWords Module.png
notifyByWords Module.png (7.78 KiB) Viewed 734 times
Do not take me too serious
Anyway i do not like Discourse
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

Please don't reply to topics that are 2+ years old. If you have a need for an extension request, please start a topic in that forum. :)
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”