"Alternate page with proper canonical tag" issue

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Bymemor

"Alternate page with proper canonical tag" issue

Post by Bymemor »

I came to phpBB from another free forum script.

I repost every topics and even replies into my new phpbb board. It is more than 2 thousand topics.

But now when a user for example search "Pharmacology textbook", google shows url from my previous forum software and not present one.

I wasn't be able to delete all urls from past forum software, because there are too many. And now it seems like google decides to show previous url from 2 identical search result.

As you can see below, more than 28.000 pages are not getting indexed by google and this is really big issue for me.
Capture.PNG
So, please help me.

Note: I have searched through the web and get this result. Rather than letting Google decide which of my duplicate pages should be the canonical page, I can specify which page I would like to be considered canonical. But I don't know how exactly to do it with phpbb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
janus_zonstraal

Re: "Alternate page with proper canonical tag" issue

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Are the url's from the same website or a other?

But you have to edit the other url's not the new ones from phpbb.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Bymemor

Post by Bymemor »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:42 pm Are the url's from the same website or a other?
Absoultely same, same domain
janus_zonstraal

Why not delete the url's than?
And if possible place a redirect on the old url's to the new ones.
Bymemor

Post by Bymemor »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:50 pm Why not delete the url's than?
Because, there are more than 10.000 and google as I know only allow delete them one by one.
janus_zonstraal wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:50 pm And if possible place a redirect on the old url's to the new ones.
It is totally impossible. Because every url patterns from previous forum software are different with unique id.
janus_zonstraal

I mean delete them from the server, I understand the are still on your server?

If not, than you can only wait until Google found the new ones and understand that the old ones, no longer exist.
Bymemor

Post by Bymemor »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:00 pm I mean delete them from the server, I understand the are still on your server?
No, no they are not on server.

Will google be able understand ? Because I tried manually request one link which is alive and excluded due to aferomentiond reason and google rejected that. So it made me feel confused.
janus_zonstraal

It can take a long time but the will understand.
You have to consider these things before you change things on your website not after.
Bymemor

Post by Bymemor »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:56 pm You have to consider these things before you change things on your website not after.
What could I do if I was considering before ? This statement could be true in many situation, but in this case doesn't matter.
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AlfredoRamos »

It could help if you send your atom feeds or sitemap, though you might need to wait for it to be reindexed like it was new.

What kind of bulletin board software you were using before? The old URLs (before the conversion) were accessible using its IDs? Do you keep the old database?

You could try to do the migration again in a local server but modifying the convertor to generate a map between the old topic IDS and the new ones, hopefully they would generate the same new IDs for topics, forums, users, etc.

That's what I did for a client long ago, and with that map/registry we were able to redirect most of the old URLs, a small percentage couldn't be fixed though.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
:chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :shield: hCaptcha
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user | Linux Boards :penguin:
Bymemor

Post by Bymemor »

AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:49 am It could help if you send your atom feeds or sitemap, though you might need to wait for it to be reindexed like it was new.
It has been a month since I sent my sitemap.
AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:49 am What kind of bulletin board software you were using before? The old URLs (before the conversion) were accessible using its IDs? Do you keep the old database?
That was turkish forum software: https://www.phpkf.com/

When a user clicks old URLs he is returned to "this page's not found" page, so they are not accessible even though I haven't deleted old database yet.
AbaddonOrmuz wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:49 am You could try to do the migration again in a local server but modifying the convertor to generate a map between the old topic IDS and the new ones, hopefully they would generate the same new IDs for topics, forums, users, etc.
Actually, it doesn't seem possible, because there is no convertor at all, I had to do everything manually.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

I would not back of where you are now since it's been a month.
Bymemor wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:55 pm It is totally impossible. Because every url patterns from previous forum software are different with unique id.
It's possible but you need old database and use a php script to redirect. You would rewrite oldviewtopic.ph?t=123456 (or whatever it is) to redirect.php.

One example is redirect.php is going to grab the topic ID and other relevant parameters. Select the topic title from the old DB using the topic ID, you can then select the topic title from new DB to get new topic ID. Use the script to redirect. Not very efficient but the new topic title may be the only way to do it. One problem may be topic titles that are duplicates.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”