Whats is the worst thing you have ever done on a computer?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
William R

Post by William R »

Vic D'Elfant wrote: Hm... the worst I've done at a computer... I accidentally formatted the hard disk partition which contained all data, instead of the partition which contained the OS. And, at that time, I didn't made backups :lol:
So there was about one year of scripts, office documents, and my dad's files gone.

But now I backup my data twice a week 8)

Vic

After you format a PC or a partition, you can get all your data back.

Ksilebo

Post by Ksilebo »

William R wrote:
Vic D'Elfant wrote:Hm... the worst I've done at a computer... I accidentally formatted the hard disk partition which contained all data, instead of the partition which contained the OS. And, at that time, I didn't made backups :lol:
So there was about one year of scripts, office documents, and my dad's files gone.

But now I backup my data twice a week 8)

Vic

After you format a PC or a partition, you can get all your data back.

Sadly, that knowledge will not help our past selves.

Guilty of this one too... Wasn't my computer either...

Psychotic_Carp

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

TC wrote: wait, so things we've done on top of a computer, or things we've done to a computer? two drastically different answers there...

how do you have sex on top of a computer?

i used to have to have a power supply with variable speed fans and if you do something like play a high end game its good to crank the fans up......i forgot. i could see the explosion outside of my standard non modded sealed antec case :(

Ksilebo

Post by Ksilebo »

Psychotic_Carp wrote: how do you have sex on top of a computer?

Some rackmount servers and full to extended tower cases have enough surface area to allow the task to occur. Some older hardware could probably be a small private closet.

soxie
Former Team Member
Name: Brian

Post by soxie »

Considering this marvelous piece of plastic and metal is all but 7 days old, I think it's safe for me to say that I've treated this computer superbly well. :D
// brian

Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Well, I moved my PC onto a shelf once. Turned it on, turned around to clean my room, and the room filled with smoke and a burning plastic smell. Power wire + CPU Fan = Bad.

As well, I took my PC apart to clean it at work, and I found a new power supply. I decided to test it on just the mobo to see if it would turn on ("New" as in, looks new). Forgot that my Processor was still in the socket, and I had taken the CPU fan off. That blast of cold air didn't save my Athlon 1100.
Andrew Charron || alexis support forum || Specializing in phpBB website template integration
Hurry up, my feash is siek.
AndrewCharron.com version 5 released!

-jm-
Former Team Member

Post by -jm- »

I noticed that my pc was going slower and more instable than usual, and i didn't understand why. This for same days.
Suddendly i heard my cpu fan slowing down from 7000rpm to almost zero, and then system restarted while a black smoke and a terrible smell invaded the room

of course i detached the power chord immediately.

there were two power cable leaning over my 7200 rpm hd. Their purpose was connecting a 3500rpm front case fan to my power supply.

When i opened the case to understand what the hell happened, i found these cables with the plastic melted for about 1cm. One of them had also the copper broken.
-jm- (a.k.a. juanm) - *NO* private support
Hacked?
With so many beautiful colors in the world it’s a shame to make everything black and white - Dennis R. Little
my links: tips&stuff :: stuff only

chainreaction2009

Post by chainreaction2009 »

Worst thing i did was instasll Windows XP on my P.C Never again! So i revered to back to Windows 2000 with a duel boot with Windows 98!
Leaving New York never easy R.E.M

jonlg_uk

p3 in my toe

Post by jonlg_uk »

the other night i triped over a couple old computer cases when i was on my way to bed in was pitch bacl and i turn on the light only to find that i had a pentium 3 skt 370 sticking out of my two toes!!! it was very painful i eventually plucked up the gutts and gritted my teeth and removed it. Lucky i only bent one pin and managed to clean all the blood and skin off it and now it still works Rresult!
HTTP://www.OWNINGUP.com - online anonymous confessions
HTTP://www.Videosteal.com - Download videos from youtube, google and break.com
HTTP://www.poll-pal.com - Add a free online poll to your website, myspace, hi5 and more!

ryan444123

Post by ryan444123 »

How about, I downloaded a .exe form the web and my dad got mad at me becuase it blew our brand new $1500 computer to high heavens. That day I will never forget!
hey this is just me

signed

ryan

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 »

ryan444123 wrote: How about, I downloaded a .exe form the web and my dad got mad at me becuase it blew our brand new $1500 computer to high heavens. That day I will never forget!

It's possible for a program to destroy hardware?

G-Dub

Post by G-Dub »

romans1423 wrote:
ryan444123 wrote:How about, I downloaded a .exe form the web and my dad got mad at me becuase it blew our brand new $1500 computer to high heavens. That day I will never forget!

It's possible for a program to destroy hardware?

I have heard of code that has the ability to ruin a hard drive without any physical damage being seen, used to get a replacement HDD from a manufacturer. However, most hardware will have it's own safeguarding.

Take CPU's for example, a motherboard will normally force a reboot if it gets too hot
Yoxio.com :: Free Image Hosting
"OSX: The $2000 operating system with a free computer"

Nippoo

Post by Nippoo »

You might be able to blow your system up if you increase the CPU / GFX card voltage / multiplier by as much as it can go... unless you cool it in liquid nitrogen in which case you probably won't be affected.

Moral of the story: Be Xtreme. :P

Gud
Former Team Member

Post by Gud »

I've done some pretty stupid things. Once I dropped a keyboard on two hard drives that were laying on the floor. :oops:
What makes things worse is that they were connected to the computer when it happend.

Another stupid thing happend when I was marking a monitor(we had bought about 30 new TFTs at work) with an acidish thing and I applied a bit too much. When I started the monitor many pixels had inverted colours. :o

Luckily, my boss was very understanding. ;)

jonlg_uk

Post by jonlg_uk »

Gud wrote: Another stupid thing happend when I was marking a monitor(we had bought about 30 new TFTs at work) with an acidish thing and I applied a bit too much. When I started the monitor many pixels had inverted colours. :o

Luckily, my boss was very understanding. ;)

lol that is hilarious!!
HTTP://www.OWNINGUP.com - online anonymous confessions
HTTP://www.Videosteal.com - Download videos from youtube, google and break.com
HTTP://www.poll-pal.com - Add a free online poll to your website, myspace, hi5 and more!

Return to “General Discussion”