What is the Future of phpBB?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
danieltj
Name: Daniel James

Re: What is the Future of phpBB?

Post by danieltj »

warmweer wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:07 am
danieltj wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:38 am ...
phpBB in theory given it's life span should be on phpBB 5 right now, but surprisingly enough it's still on phpBB 3, it was there 10 years ago.
The version numbering itself isn't really important although the difference between 3.0 and 3.1 is quite large if not massive (Mods: RIP! and Extensions: Welcome!).
AFAIR the successor to phpBB 2.0 was originally planned to have 2.1 as versionnr, but the difference in code base was is so large that 3.0 was the logical choice.
Yep, totally agree that in the grand scheme of things, version numbering doesn't matter.

But from a public perception angle, major versions occur (X.y.z) every couple of years as a simple matter of course. It doesn't have to be that way, but generally features and changes become so big that it generally warrants a new 'iteration' of the software if that makes sense.
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc »

From a marketing standpoint, the version number choices have certainly not been the best in hindsight. phpBB 3.0.6 could have been 3.1, phpBB 3.1 more like 4.0, etc.

In general I think some of the ideas that were brought up in this topic are a good start and do also align with elements that I think will be focused on more in phpBB development. A big part of that is to improve interaction with the software, be that via phones, tablets, or computers. One step in that direction can and should be an updated look but there are also other elements, some of which have already been brought up in phpBB Ideas.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Marc wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:36 pm In general I think some of the ideas that were brought up in this topic are a good start ...
Unfortunately this topic was not posted to bring ideas but to gather judgements and opinions. I think version numbering is the least of the problems. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

3Di wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:58 pm
Marc wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:36 pm In general I think some of the ideas that were brought up in this topic are a good start ...
Unfortunately this topic was not posted to bring ideas but to gather judgements and opinions. I think version numbering is the least of the problems. :)
:lol:
Frode789

Post by Frode789 »

phpBB has really come to a stand still. I loved using phpBB earlier, but they are just so behind now. And there is no proper plan in sight. Phpbb 4 still seems like it is lightyears away, and will end up like SMF 2.1 (which ironically just came out, though of course all too late).
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

Maybe for the current version - but as to version 2 - development keep moving along.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Topic may be old, but seems to be the best one there is.

I have said it before:
Theoretically 4.0 can be released at any time.
If it was me, i would release 4.0 in the near future (with or without updated prosilver) and keep future design (be it Chameleon or Bootstrap) as separate project + I would separate CPs into third project. When second or third or both project/s is/are done.. release.

In other words, i would split phpBB development into 3 sections (core, design/theme & CPs/dashboards).
It would be similar to how symfony manages its projects/components or how developers create extensions

What is special about 4.0? Newer version of symfony components & twig. Not to mention code changes that differs a lot from 3.3 branch.
It already has some important additions (at least for some), that 3.3.x doesn't have.

This may sound as OT, but legacy code, mods era/core editing (that includes one update method as well) & anything that is lower than 3.3 should be marked as EOL.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Honestly, I think 4.0 should be released as well. Even the "dev" version we have is pretty stable and usable, especially when it is in use on Area51 right now.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
rubencm
Development Team Member
Development Team Member

Post by rubencm »

Lot of the new things of 4.0 were released in phpBB 3.3.
Currently, the only relevant new features in master are the user mentions and the storage. For the user mentions you already have extensions, and about storage, it is only for very specific use cases.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

The push for phpBB4 appears to have more to do with updating code than any "must have" feature. Does phpBB4 need to be as substantial on the first version as phpBB3 was (in comparison to phpBB2) when it comes to features?
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
david63

Post by david63 »

rubencm wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:24 pm Lot of the new things of 4.0 were released in phpBB 3.3
And a lot were taken out and deferred to phpBB 4
rubencm wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:24 pm Currently, the only relevant new features in master are the user mentions and the storage.
And what about updating from the ACP and installing extensions from a catalogue - not to mention upgraded versions of Symfony and Twig (albeit not to the latest versions)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
axe70
Name: Alessio

Post by axe70 »

Just to mention that
Currently, the only relevant new features in master are the user mentions and the storage.
It seem to me that it open an infinity of possibilities.

I will return over an idea rudely coded months ago, that work but is very raw: very soon for example, i would like to rewrite it from scratch and preparing it ready for 4>. The Audio Video to post extension.
Do not take me too serious
Anyway i do not like Discourse
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Seems like some don't understand how important some updated components are or may be to some people.. Well.. that answers many questions.

Let me rephrase something.. It is true, that most users want ACP 1-click install & mentions and so on, but there are users who look at phpBB from another angle & want at least updated symfony components & twig (i think i don't have to explain why).

@Axe70 - if something is working on 3.3.x, it should work on 4.0.a, but can't say the same for stable 4/5 or whatever the version will be when 🤔 it hits final stage (and this is not extension development discussion topic).
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
axe70
Name: Alessio

Post by axe70 »

Yes i know, but i was only meaning like you that, someone may imagine that technology will change too much in short:
let say it may will be, but if you want an ordinate archive, you will lead into something like this, may proposed in some other flavor, but always the same.
The point with my out about video and audio extension, is about the fact, that you can do what you like of something like phpBB or WordPress or something else. It is just a way to store data and offer it to other users. Is up to you how.
There is not too much to expect from the future.
Audio, video, text. As it was.

Or you think one day we'll smell the pc and taste what you see, may a piece of chocolate?
I really do not think. And i do not like also.
The metaverse is a stupidity. Video Gamers at work. Nothing else.

ps do you like to integrate wp and phpBB? The plugin is available at wordpress repository.
But this is not an adv. I really do not care if anybody install and use it or not , it is just to say ;)
Do not take me too serious
Anyway i do not like Discourse
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

axe70 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:47 pmThe metaverse is a stupidity. Video Gamers at work. Nothing else.
While I would agree with the idea that the metaverse is not a good idea, I do not see how this pertains to phpBB4. I say that phpBB3 has had a good run and version 3.3.8 is a good stopping point. As others have said, it's time for an overhaul.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”