What is the Future of phpBB?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: What is the Future of phpBB?

Post by warmweer »

bennybernaer wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:24 pm Personally, I feel like everything has gone downhill since 3.0.
I wasn't very fond of extensions initially, specifically because none of my modifications worked with 3.1 and I was just too lazy to study the extension system. But eventually I was able to use existing extensions and modify them slightly to suit my needs. If you look at the number of (recognised) extensions writers and extensions produced, the record's not that bad and many 3.0 modifications are now available as extensions.
bennybernaer wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:24 pmAt that time, there were also hundreds of modifications. Now you can be happy that validations are carried out every few months.
Every few months?
From what I've noticed, there's a validation spurt every month. This year's December may prove to be a rare break of that streak but I don't consider that particularly surprising (nor worrying).
bennybernaer wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:24 pmMany of the former hard core (team members) have already left.
Isn't that part of evolution?
phpBB is almost 20 years old. Team members have left for other pastures, and new Team members have arrived and that happens all the time irrespective of versions (major or minor).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

ssl wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:16 pm ...
See here what I am talking about
viewtopic.php?p=15790281#p15790281
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
bennybernaer

Post by bennybernaer »

warmweer wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:00 pm ....
No idea... I can't find the topics right now, but I've read a lot of disagreement in the past from extension authors that it often takes a very long time for their extensions to be validated. And those authors are then suddenly offline for a long time (although the latter can have various reasons).

Maybe it's also an idea, if a team member leaves or is "created" to report this in a topic? This way, users can thank them for their efforts, and we don't have to wonder why he/she is suddenly no longer part of it.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

3Di wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:09 pm
The comparison isn't exactly unbiased.
The 2007 one is based on a 1 hour timeframe (currently it's 30 minutes), also the 2007 one is from half March, whereas now it's past half December and we're nearing the end of the year, traditionally a much calmer period. Also phpBB3 was in beta stage around that time and IIRC Area51 attracted a lot more attention (as a testing ground for phpBB3) which possibly also extended towards phpbb.com
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

3Di wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:09 pm
Already answered here of the reason for the loss of world on these good old phpBB forums
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.16
[Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
"Mistress, Mistress someone is bothering me in pm"
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

3Di wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:45 pm 2007

olympus8000.JPG

Now

2021-12-19 20_43_25-(1) phpBB • Community Home — Mozilla Firefox.png
Basically proof that extensions have accomplished one of the main reasons for their existence: reduce support requests caused by mods. 😉
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
david63

Post by david63 »

warmweer wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:00 pm Every few months?
From what I've noticed, there's a validation spurt every month. This year's December may prove to be a rare break of that streak but I don't consider that particularly surprising (nor worrying).
Currently there is at least one extension that has been in the queue for 70 days and the average for the 16 that are in the queue is 43 days. That is one of the reasons why extension developers are leaving.
warmweer wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:00 pm and new Team members have arrived
I am not aware of any "new" Team members for over 12 months.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

DavidIQ wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:01 pm
3Di wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:45 pm ... SNIP
Basically proof that extensions have accomplished one of the main reasons for their existence: reduce support requests caused by mods. 😉
This is certain but not related to the descent in question.
As per the OP, this topic in fact IMHO slightly derailed, as expected, from the main topic.

As far as modifications and requests for support are concerned, I am amazed that there are still members of the teams who propose them (hard-coding) and not only where it is possible to obtain them, i.e. in the Custom Coding forum.

That seems like nonsense to me and indeed it is, I've stopped posting about it, I've had enough of doing that.

You know very well I don't talk in whispers so don't ask me for links either in public or in private, I won't get on that train. 😉
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

3Di wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:02 pm As far as modifications and requests for support are concerned, I am amazed that there are still members of the teams who propose them (hard-coding) and not only where it is possible to obtain them, i.e. in the Custom Coding forum.
Extensions are one the best features implemented in phpBB over the years but there is limitations to them. They are especially useful for larger and more complex features in demand. On the other hand take this topic for example:

viewtopic.php?f=661&t=2608526

The user could of been sent to that black hole we refer to as the extension request forum never to be seen again. Instead they were given a simple one line edit that helped solve the issue. The chances of someone taking this up as an extension are about 0.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

3Di wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:45 pm2007

Now

I haven't seen that many registered users on a board in a while.

As others have said, social media sites don't help and forums in general have lost their mojo.
THIS ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER IN USE AND IS DEPRECIATED!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

It is not helpful to compare something like this support board to any other type of board.
By defintion, this board will have fewer visitors/members when the software is working without many issues.
when I first started here a post did not stay on the first page more than a few minutes usually. there were a lot of problems that the average
users had no idea how to solve. as mentioned above, there were the MODs that required a certain knowledge level that many newbies did not have.
In general, I imagine that fartbook and other social media have had a pretty big impact on bulletin boards like phpBB ( since I don't use any social media
I don't have personal experience with it).

However, as far as the amount of traffic here is concerned, I would say that is more indicative of the success of phpBB's evolution and user friendliness.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Deactivated 1950056

Post by Deactivated 1950056 »

There's more to this board than calls for help to solve problems. Questions about the software, requests, extension queries, ideas, etc. are all posted here.

I doubt the lack of problems is completely responsible for the drop in activity.
THIS ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER IN USE AND IS DEPRECIATED!
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

Interesting topic.

The way things are getting answered, I don't expect anything to change.
Was an interesting ride though!
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Doesn't apply much here on phpbb.com but for a lot of mature forums everything has been asked and answered. If you have a well indexed site a lot of good content people have no need to register.

Can't speak for other sites but on my own site I have seen a steady increase in activity over the years. You need a niche and it's especially helpful if it caters to an older crowd. The younger generations are not using forums.

Facebook and other social media sites have most certainly had a significant impact on forums. Why bother with creating a forum if you can just create a group on Facebook with ready made users? Facebook makes doing this easy for both the "admin" and the user.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
david63

Post by david63 »

thecoalman wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:46 pm Doesn't apply much here on phpbb.com but for a lot of mature forums everything has been asked and answered. If you have a well indexed site a lot of good content people have no need to register.

Can't speak for other sites but on my own site I have seen a steady increase in activity over the years. You need a niche and it's especially helpful if it caters to an older crowd. The younger generations are not using forums.

Facebook and other social media sites have most certainly had a significant impact on forums. Why bother with creating a forum if you can just create a group on Facebook with ready made users? Facebook makes doing this easy for both the "admin" and the user.
Sorry, but none of that has any bearing on the subject of this topic.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “phpBB Discussion”