What is the Future of phpBB?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Re: What is the Future of phpBB?

Post by DavidIQ »

But wait... You said I turned you down, which would imply I gave you some sort of reply indicating this. So did I tell you we weren't interested or simply didn't reply as you wanted me to and you assumed I turned you down? 🤨
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
GTI
Name: Laura

Post by GTI »

tvm wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:33 pm I can share my source code with anyone if they contact me to see how I scrambled the forum together with the rest of my site (wont post the site name here in case of breaking rules, so contact me on PM if you want to see what I've done, and if you want any of my changes.
I would hazard a guess that you are Frank from Flat Stats, if so, you have a cheek to complain about whether or not phpBB is involved with a hosting group, I can say with 100% certainty that people would be more disappointed in phpBB if they took money that had been generated through a site that encourages gambling.

Also, this petty trying to undermine the phpBB team is ridiculous, throwing around false accusations to try and generate some backing for your ideas and get the attention of the team etc.

phpBB is a free software, absolutely anyone can install it and use it as they choose, it doesn't matter if phpBB takes money from a hosting group, it has no reflection on the way the software works.

You are trying to demand changes to the software - to suit your own needs - these needs do not reflect the needs of the thousands of forum administrators out there who use phpBB, so please don't try to make it sound like your proposals are for the benefit of everyone because there are plenty of people who are happy with their forum because it does exactly as they wanted it to do when they installed it.
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦
tvm

Post by tvm »

DavidIQ wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:31 pm But wait... You said I turned you down, which would imply I gave you some sort of reply indicating this. So did I tell you we weren't interested or simply didn't reply as you wanted me to and you assumed I turned you down? 🤨
Spending 10 days to accept a donation of 50k USD without hearning anything back is nothing less than a statement that you wont accept the money. They would of reached the organization account by now if willing.

Also, let me add, I might spread some uncertainty by saying "can 3.3 live along 4". EOL should be suppose to be 3 years as a customary, making the next version 3.4.0 without major changes to the existing core, while maybe even 4.0 should be react. Just a thought.
GTI
Name: Laura

Post by GTI »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:02 pm Well, getting phpBB4 out is a must. Depreciate the phpBB3 saga with phpBB 3.2.x EOL being soon after the release of phpBB4.

Dropping Chameleon as been stated by multiple people, as it is not viable and will never get out of development. Sure, phpBB 4.0.0 may be a bit wimpy with new features but it is mature enough for release. phpBB 3.3.9 should be the last version of phpBB 3.3.x and phpBB3 as a whole.

While phpBB3 had a good run, it is not the late 2000s anymore.
Honest question... do you run a forum? how many members do you have?

If the answer is no, or less than 10, please don't sit there saying something should be scrapped or saying something isn't viable, it doesn't reflect the majority of people who do run forums and large forums, it's like someone who doesn't drive trying to influence the development of a car when they don't even plan on ever using one.

A lot of time has been put into Chameleon, just because the developer doesn't keep coming on here to give updates about it does not mean that nothing is being done.
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦
tvm

Post by tvm »

GTI wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:35 pm I would hazard a guess that you are Frank from Flat Stats, if so, you have a cheek to complain about whether or not phpBB is involved with a hosting group, I can say with 100% certainty that people would be more disappointed in phpBB if they took money that had been generated through a site that encourages gambling.

Also, this petty trying to undermine the phpBB team is ridiculous, throwing around false accusations to try and generate some backing for your ideas and get the attention of the team etc.

phpBB is a free software, absolutely anyone can install it and use it as they choose, it doesn't matter if phpBB takes money from a hosting group, it has no reflection on the way the software works.

You are trying to demand changes to the software - to suit your own needs - these needs do not reflect the needs of the thousands of forum administrators out there who use phpBB, so please don't try to make it sound like your proposals are for the benefit of everyone because there are plenty of people who are happy with their forum because it does exactly as they wanted it to do when they installed it.
I am not demanding anything actually, I want phpBB to move forward. I am not in no way affiliated with anyone, and are more than capable to add mods to my forum as it feeds my needs myself. However, you are spot on that my site is a betting community, however, this is legal in the EU, and they have all licences to do so, however - I dont see why money for helping the staff here would mind when it comes from legal activites if money is an issue, as some have suggested.

Edit: just checked out flat stats stuff, (one observation; making a 404 to yourself is not a good idea seo wise). Our site however is free and from Norway.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

GTI wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:40 pmHonest question... do you run a forum?
Yes.
how many members do you have?
This has absolutely no relevance, especially when I am not the only person here with such an opinion. David63 and several others told me how Chameleon would break extensions pretty badly and how the back-end is not ready for it.
A lot of time has been put into Chameleon, just because the developer doesn't keep coming on here to give updates about it does not mean that nothing is being done.
Development has actually stalled entirely. That being said, time spent does not make something viable.

You seem not to like me for some reason, especially when you subtly implied that I violated the site's bumping rule. I don't understand why.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
tvm

Post by tvm »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:22 pm You seem not to like me for some reason, especially when you subtly implied that I violated the site's bumping rule. I don't understand why.
Dont care. I was simply a troll here after 2 days even though I was a part of phpBB1 in some ways.

While I do want to believe the team as a whole wants whats best for phpBB in the future, they are not employees, and obvsiouly have different opinions of the future. While one group may want one thing, while a another group insists on something else. There must be a common way going forward, rather than THIS OR THAT. How about a sitdown, most of the team, dealing with the concerns raised in this topic (sorry: thread) and see if there is a way where the best teams can make the best of both worlds, even if it has to include a go fund me page - when payments are mentioned so often - i dont see why this shouldnt be added to the site, where you can fund either of future projects, or simply donate anonymously.

And yes DavidIQ, I did take your silence as a no which I also explained in this very thropic earlier.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

tvm wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:56 pmDont care. I was simply a troll here after 2 days even though I was a part of phpBB1 in some ways.
The post you quoted did not pertain to you but was directed at GTI.

[Edited]
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
tvm

Post by tvm »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:08 am
tvm wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:56 pmDont care. I was simply a troll here after 2 days even though I was a part of phpBB1 in some ways.
The post you quoted did not pertain to you but was directed at GTI.

[Edited]
Yea i was simply saying "just ignore it, and not let it annoy you." You clearly see both sides here, as I've expirienced from my discsussions with you, so anyone saying otherwise needs to re-read this topic ;)
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

tvm wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:16 amYea i was simply saying "just ignore it, and not let it annoy you." You clearly see both sides here, as I've expirienced from my discsussions with you, so anyone saying otherwise needs to re-read this topic ;)
Understood, sorry I misread your post before. :D
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

tvm wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:33 pm ...
I want to believe the project manager in this case, and for him to read all these "threads" (gonna say that on purpose now, since your sarcasme is like me pooping over all your hard work which I am sure you have done more than enough of for free, @warmweer). It would be owerwhelming.
I'm at loss on how to interpret this, as I have never been involved in the development of phpBB (unless perhaps an idea I had resulted in something being implemented). The only things I have done directly phpBB related were to make a public mod for phpBB2 (post sortorder ASC or DESC in viewtopic - not validated), a couple of semi private mods for phpBB3.0 (not released), some voluntary support on phpBB.com (like so many other members) and fixing broken boards for phpBB3.2 and 3.3, even 3.0 (as a hobby).
And since about 2 years I test extensions functionally for phpBB 3.2 and 3.3.
I'm not at all involved in development.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: who is the first person in this site?

Post by Mick »

There used to be hundreds every day all day during the 2.0, 3.0 and 3.1 days. You only have to look at the post counts.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

And it is not a good thing that activity has sank from that to so low of a state. And I doubt it is due to less people needing to ask for help as opposed to less people using the software.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I’m of the belief that the massive product improvement, the improvements in documentation and getting rid of mods is the main cause. There are still plenty of copies being downloaded although I can’t produce any figures to prove that.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:01 pm And it is not a good thing that activity has sank from that to so low of a state
What kind of activity do you mean & want from software support site?

Currently there is not much to discuss on this site & i agree with Mick about improvements.
Last edited by GanstaZ on Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”