[3.3][ALPHA] CMX Quiz v3.0.1 (formerly Ultimate Quiz MOD) - Fun Trivia and Quiz Game!

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

[3.3][ALPHA] CMX Quiz v3.0.1 (formerly Ultimate Quiz MOD) - Fun Trivia and Quiz Game!

Post by battye »

Extension Name: CMX Quiz
Author: battye

Extension Description: CMX Quiz (formerly known as Ultimate Quiz MOD) is a quiz and trivia game for your forum. Users can submit and play quizzes, and pre-determined quiz moderators can set up quizzes with rewards.

I would like to send this extension to a couple of people to help me with some basic testing before making a public release and submitting it to the Customisations Database. Is there anyone who would like me to PM them the download link? If so please reply to this topic and I will send it to you.

Extension Version: 3.0.1

Features:

Here are some of the main features:
  • Questions and answers
    • Multiple choice
    • Input an answer
    • True and false
    • More than one correct answer is allowed
  • Supports BBCode
  • Optional time limits
    • The clock counts down in real time so people know how long is remaining
  • One page per question so people can't skip ahead
  • A quiz can be used as an educational pass or fail test
    • A quiz moderator can choose whether a user is moved to a specific user group after successfully passing a quiz
  • Tags (categories)
  • Options configurable from ACP.
    • Choose quiz moderators who can edit quizzes and view results
    • Define minimum posts to play quizzes
    • Minimum and maximum number per quiz settings
    • ... and more!
I hope you like this and have fun! :)
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: [3.3][ALPHA] CMX Quiz (formerly Ultimate Quiz MOD) - Fun Trivia and Quiz Game!

Post by battye »

Screenshots:
Quiz_Index.png
Add_Edit_Quiz.png
Input_Answer.png
Multiple_Choice.png
Quiz_Results.png
Quiz_ACP.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Miri4ever

Re: [3.3][ALPHA] CMX Quiz (formerly Ultimate Quiz MOD) - Fun Trivia and Quiz Game!

Post by Miri4ever »

This sounds incredible. A good solution we could need for my games page to play. I hope it is possible to use the ultimate points extension for the playing and winning with user points for correct and wrong answers.
Homepage: Terra Oceanica

Extension Developments:
PHPBB Games Solitaire, MChat Poker, MChat Black Jack, MChat Cards, MChat Trivia
PHPBB Special Effects, Mousepointers, X-Mas Themes and Designs for PBWoW Style.
Supported work: (**New Updated** UCP Sidebar), Tables, Hide, PBWow3 Style
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Miri4ever wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:10 pm This sounds incredible. A good solution we could need for my games page to play. I hope it is possible to use the ultimate points extension for the playing and winning with user points for correct and wrong answers.
I am happy to add points integration :)
Hopefully I can get a bit of feedback about the extension and do a few quick feature releases based on people's ideas.

Would you like the download link Miri4ever?

deninho32

Post by deninho32 »

I would love to try this one on my testboard.
phpBB 3.3.7 | PHP Version 7.4.33 | Milk Theme
Miri4ever

Post by Miri4ever »

Yes, sure, because many people do bad things with styles not working with all styles. So a test would be nice. And I wanted to see how this timer works, because we long looking for something like this.

Extension Developments:
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Miri4ever wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:57 am Yes, sure, because many people do bad things with styles not working with all styles. So a test would be nice. And I wanted to see how this timer works, because we long looking for something like this.
I've used AngularJS to build the quiz playing component, so that's what is powering the timer (it counts down in real time). When it reaches 0:00, the next button becomes inactive.

There is also logic in the PHP controller to verify the time limit hasn't been exceeded so it's not just reliant on the user interface.

Miri4ever

Post by Miri4ever »

Over the night I got more questions:

What if a question is already played by a user. Can he play again or can he play each only one time. If people always getting the same questions to play it would be like a cheat to win points or whatever.

Is there a permission system for example to disallow certain groups like guests etc. to play. And if you can create certain categories, is there a way to make special categories to play for special groups only ?

Ok downloaded and the first thing I discover that the extension uploader does not like the file structure. Maybe because of the apple folder inside. So I needed to upload by hand.

Ok, after some quick testing:

There is not much inside ACP to create categories and questions. All running only for the user interface. So not sure if things could be edited and for each play a new quiz must be generated. The main problem for me in current state: I can't submit any quiz questions no matter what I try. I filled out all needed fields and checkboxes, but the system still tell me there is an error while submitting the questions.

The time limits seems only limited to minutes only ? So no seconds possible to play ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Miri4ever on Sun May 29, 2022 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Extension Developments:
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Miri4ever wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:10 am Over the night I got more questions:

What if a question is already played by a user. Can he play again or can he play each only one time. If people always getting the same questions to play it would be like a cheat to win points or whatever.

Is there a permission system for example to disallow certain groups like guests etc. to play. And if you can create certain categories, is there a way to make special categories to play for special groups only ?

Ok downloaded and the first thing I discover that the extension uploader does not like the file structure. Maybe because of the apple folder inside. So I needed to upload by hand.

There is not much inside ACP to create categories and questions. All running only for the user interface. So not sure if things could be edited and for each play a new quiz must be generated. The main problem for me in current state: I can't submit any quiz questions no matter what I try. I filled out all needed fields and checkboxes, but the system still tell me there is an error while submitting the questions.

The time limits seems only limited to minutes only ? So no seconds possible to play ?

1. There is a setting in the ACP to turn on number of attempts, and once turned on then when the quiz is being submitted the author can choose the maximum number of attempts. So you could set it so users can only play once.

2. Guests cannot play quizzes. There are no options yet to restrict it by user group or categories.

3. Ah thanks for letting me know that, yeah I am using a Mac for my dev environment. Is it a DS Store file in there that it's complaining about?

For the error you're getting submitting, can you open F12/Dev Tools in your browser and go to the network tab please. Can you see any error on the AJAX call when it's submitting?

Steve
Name: Steven Clark

Post by Steve »

battye wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:48 am 3. Ah, thanks for letting me know that, yeah I am using a Mac for my dev environment. Is it a DS Store file in there that it's complaining about?
Move your file from root/htdocs etc to desktop to the folder called tree, for example...
Open applications/terminal:
enter in terminal:

Code: Select all

cd Desktop/tree/cmxquiz
Press return
enter in terminal:

zip -r tree/cmxquiz.zip . -x ".*" -x "__MACOSX"
Press return, this will clean the zip directory of mac files and create the zip file named "cmxquiz.zip" :)

Awesome extension by the way. :D
@ The Chief Medical Officers guideline for men is that: You are safest not to drink regularly more than 14 units per week.
- I drank that today++ :lol: 🍺
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Thanks Steve, I just ran your command :)

Miri4ever

Post by Miri4ever »

There is nothing happening inside the console if pressing the button. It displays nothing new, I just got this popup window. I have a lot of JavaScript running, not sure if some blocking each other. Or does PHP 8.1.3 making any trouble?

Extension Developments:
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Thanks for finding this Miri4ever, it might be best if I do something to make that error message more specific because at the moment it's not clear what's causing the form submission to fail.

In the meantime, you can try this (and let me know which error it is) to debug the problem.

Open styles/prosilver/theme/cmx_quiz.js:

There will be 4 instances of valid = false;
On each line above that it will have a message like // Validation error: empty question or // Validation error: this question has no answer marked as correct, and so on.

In each of those 4 instances, add a line just under the comment with the message with a console.log. Like this:

// Validation error: empty question
console.log("Validation error: empty question");
valid = false;
If you add that, then clear cache, and try adding a quiz again - in your browser Dev Tools/Console you will see which error is causing the submission to fail. :)

hicmed

Post by hicmed »

hi thanks for this extension
i want use it in my production forum
can you sent me the link
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

hi battye
sounds like a nice extension for my members. I would like to give it a try in my testboard.
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.

Return to “Extensions in Development”